Windows Transfer (SSD to SSD)

Holy Crap!

What happened.

For me, posting a question like this on a forum is about getting an opinion from people. Yes, I can search and find out how to do it, but that's just random information. So that is my reasoning for posting questions that can easily be found by using Google.

As for the SSD, I explained this in an older reply? I install all apps, OS an everything but the DATA to the SSD, for maximum speed improvements. Would better RAM be better, maybe, but when I originally built the system I was trying to save money, but also still wanted an SSD overall. Now I am not going to want to go from SSD to HDD. I also stated, its' a pooled drive setup, not a real server, and I also stated it is used as a normal computer at times, in terms of searching for new entertainment. Sure, the SSD will not help with the actual streaming of media, but I access this "server" all the time, I rename files with Filebot and things such as this.

I also just wanted to have all my systems running on SSDs, because I wanted too. 

The main reason for the thread, has been answered, I got the opinions on which software I can use, and how to do it, as you see, there were a few suggestions on how to go about it.

So, Thanks :)

Holy Crap!

What happened.

For me, posting a question like this on a forum is about getting an opinion from people. Yes, I can search and find out how to do it, but that's just random information. So that is my reasoning for posting questions that can easily be found by using Google.

As for the SSD, I explained this in an older reply? I install all apps, OS an everything but the DATA to the SSD, for maximum speed improvements. Would better RAM be better, maybe, but when I originally built the system I was trying to save money, but also still wanted an SSD overall. Now I am not going to want to go from SSD to HDD. I also stated, its' a pooled drive setup, not a real server, and I also stated it is used as a normal computer at times, in terms of searching for new entertainment. Sure, the SSD will not help with the actual streaming of media, but I access this "server" all the time, I rename files with Filebot and things such as this.

I also just wanted to have all my systems running on SSDs, because I wanted too. 

The main reason for the thread, has been answered, I got the opinions on which software I can use, and how to do it, as you see, there were a few suggestions on how to go about it.

So, Thanks :)

The discussion is going on so you're getting the opinions of others :)

what happened?  There were opinions stated and discussion happened.. What do you think happens on a forum?

If you want an SSD, have a SSD - nobody stopping you from doing that. As to using it as a desktop..

"I need Plex, Sabnzbd, drive maintenance software and a few others to run as fast as possible"

Yeah SSD is not going to help with that software.. 

"but I access this "server" all the time, I rename files with Filebot and things such as this."

So I use filebot to rename files on my shares as well - does not mean you have to interact with the OS at all.  You want stuff to be fast, and then you seem to like to waste time - Either switching over to the monitor and keyboard of that box, doing a RDP?  When you have mentioned nothing that requires interaction with that OS at from my take.  You applications mentioned can be used remotely via web gui, remote gui, etc.  seaching - why would not just use your main desktop for that?

"I also just wanted to have all my systems running on SSDs, because I wanted too."

Well that's all the reason you need - have fun..  Not cost effective if you ask me, but hey I don't know maybe you are rich or won the lottery or something ;)

How does an SSD not help with all those apps? They run on the SSD do they not. Sure, they dont need to start all the time, but still lol

And I remote into the desktop most of the time. I never used any remote GUI before nor did I know there was ones for each software, why would I look? And remote desktop is just as fast?

What happened, as in you and other basically freaking out about stuff lol Though I suppose you are right, that's the internet.

"I also just wanted to have all my systems running on SSDs, because I wanted too."

Well that's all the reason you need - have fun..  Not cost effective if you ask me, but hey I don't know maybe you are rich or won the lottery or something ;)

I'm the same way, every system / Laptop I own has an SSD... I think i'm up to about 15 /17 SSD's / Give or take a few.

You don't have to be rich, it just needs to be the only thing you spend money on :)

I don't go drinking, I don't smoke, I dont have kids, I have my bills, but I make enough to pay them and spend on tech and geeky thing :)

How does an SSD not help with all those apps? They run on the SSD do they not. Sure, they dont need to start all the time, but still lol

And I remote into the desktop most of the time. I never used any remote GUI before nor did I know there was ones for each software, why would I look? And remote desktop is just as fast?

What happened, as in you and other basically freaking out about stuff lol Though I suppose you are right, that's the internet.

You never used a remote GUI for any of the apps? SABnzbd doesn't have a direct UI. It is only controllable via a browser... The browser is about as remote of a GUI as you can get...

SSDs aren't great at everything or are the best solution to every problem. Like everything in computing you have to know which tool is right for the job...

SABnzbd, for instance, is downloading and extracting usenet downloads. You're not going to be bottle-necked doing this on a spinning HDD. Due to the sheer size of these files I'm sure you're already doing them on a spinning platter and "loading" SABNzbd off the SSD. The SABnzbd program runs from memory once its loaded so it isn't any faster on an SSD than it is on a HDD once loaded. The program is a few megs in size... You may get a millisecond or two faster load, but I doubt you'll notice it.

No one is freaking out. As a person who has a fair complicated server setup in my basement. I spend a fair bit of time looking at where I can get better performance out of my machines as I put them through a fairly decent virtualization based work load. Even for my needs, throwing in an SSD just doesn't offer me enough benefits to justify the costs. So I wanted to know, genuinely, if there was something I missed from the equation.

Keep in mind, as I mentioned earlier, an SSD is only going to be beneficial if you have a workload that benefits heavily from reduced access times. They vastly speed up bootup and program loads for this reason. The OS on boot is loading a ton of small files (kernel, drivers, etc.) and this is also true for applications...

"basically freaking out about stuff"

What??  freaking out -- asking questions and pointing out how "servers" have little use of SSD for the OS is freaking out.. I think you and the person thinking there is bickering going on maybe forgot to take your meds this morning ;)

"How does an SSD not help with all those apps?"

Do those apps write or read large amounts of data to disk before making updates to what the application is doing?  Sorry there is going to be no performance increase be it those apps are run from a hdd or a ssd, or than that initial load of the application.

So remote desktop is as fast as opening a bookmark on the desktop your currently using to access your torrent interface?  Really??  I click on a linux torrent I want and my remote copy of transmission downloads it.  It is one click - why would I ever remote desktop to the machine to do that?  Every single torrent client worth using has the ability to do this.

The whole point of SABnzbd is to add an .nzb.

And then SABnzbd takes over from there, where it will be automatically downloaded, verified, repaired, extracted and filed away with zero human interaction.

So why would you need to be on some desktop to interact with that?  You put your .nzb in your watch folder via a share and bing bang zoom your files show up in some other folder ready to go..  What do you need a SSD for that for?  To put a file in a folder across your network?

As to plex there is a web interface or why is the client not just installed on your day to day PC?

You know what freaks me out ;)  Not using the tools as their designed..  You install these sorts of apps on you what you call "server" but then continue to think of it as a desktop.  So for example filebot doesn't care if the files are local or across the network.  So why would that app not just be on your PC and just access the files on your mapped network shares?  How is launching and app off your PC desktop not faster than remote desktop to another machine and then running the app there?

Yes, much of the comments came off as freaking out, maybe just me, anyway.

Yes, Sabnzd is automated, and I don't need to look at it at all, but I do. I check to see what was downloaded, what had issues etc. Though, you are right, I could setup a secondary web UI on my main system and do that. Might do that actually.

I keep treating it like a desktop system because it is, to me a server is RAID setup with huge towers and server OS and all this stuff. Plus the fact that I have never dealt with a real server before, it's always been a computer I have, then I just added drives. Though, it does what a Media Server would do, so I like calling it a Server.

Fine, your right, SSD does not help anything, not really, and I don't need to be on the system at all. In the end, I just wanted to use an SSD. I was building a new system, and in my mind it was like why wouldn't I, new computer, new tech?

I have always used GUI, apps with an interface, so when I learned about Filebot and other software, there is no situation I would be like, hmm I wonder if this could be automated, or done through console. Not my train of thought right off the bat.

Now one more detail, I am very picky with installations. If I don't need an App on my system, or there is already one that can do it, I don't want it installed. So for me, I need to Rename files on my "server" not my main desktop, so I don't want that app installed on my main system. Is it kinda stupid? Sure, its just how my mind works lol

The other reason I am on the system is because right now the files aren't automatically done, they download to the download folder, once I have watched it I rename it and move it to the correct folder. This is because I watch with MPCHC on my main system, which does not exactly record if I watched it already or not. So editing it and moving it is how I keep track. I am going to change this once Plex & Chromecast goes to free uses, then I will get my family on their own accounts, then me on my own. Then everything will be automatic.

Anyway, yes SSD not needed, I still would rather have it, and I would not go down to an HDD after having an SSD. Yes I could get much more space for less, but as you may have noticed, my mind just works this way lol

"Anyway, yes SSD not needed, I still would rather have it"

Well its your money and your system - you can have whatever you want and can pay for so - enjoy!  Good luck with your clone.

As to freaking out - yeah its just you!  Freaking out, is when I tell my 3 year old granddaughter to clean up her toys and she throws a hissy.  Not discussing of why a SSD makes no sense in a "server" as you called it.

Now if you would of said your buying brand X of ssd, and I went into a 3 page diatribe of why you have to buy brand Y then hey that might be considered freaking out ;)