ouya android gaming fail

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 06 March 2014 - 20:17

There was no demand for tablets and look how that turned out. I think this shows promise but I'd rather see a system where you could play steam and android games rather than one of the two.

The problem with that comparison is that a tablet is an all around device. Its not focused on a single use.

These android gaming consoles are focused on a single use and that means you wont see demand grow beyond that niche of gamers that want android gaming content.

#17 Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

• Phone: Motorola Droid Mini

Posted 06 March 2014 - 20:30

I would say selling for half the price is a pretty good reason.  Sure a device that costs twice as much is going to be better.  Personally though I'd rather wait and see if the Vita TV is going to come to the U.S. then get a MadCatz M.O.J.O. if I were looking for a micro-console at all (which is a very small market to begin with).

#18 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 06 March 2014 - 23:50

"Any more" implies there was once a time when there was a reason. 

I have no doubt the makers were really enthusiastic and it seems they listened to user feedback, but that just might not be enough.

#19 Circaflex

Circaflex

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: shamu

Posted 07 March 2014 - 00:36

This is not true at all, I have mine setup as an XBMC box and replaced my boxee box. For 70 bucks it made sense.

#20 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 07 March 2014 - 00:47

The only reason I would want one is for running emulators. I'm currently using an old softmodded Xbox which works really great for them, but it is kind of loud.

Boot up XBMC and adjust the fan speed ;)

#21 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 07 March 2014 - 00:54

Lack of DTS support made it not a very good XBMC solution for myself. I have a receiver and content capable of DTS, yet for whatever reason (unless they finally fixed it after months of no support) it did not support DTS. That made me fall back to my PS3 and Universal Media Server which does support DTS.

#22 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:01

The only reason I would want one is for running emulators. I'm currently using an old softmodded Xbox which works really great for them, but it is kind of loud.

Heh still got a couple of those laying around, did pretty well at the time for XBMC.. no HD and such but it worked.  (Retired, replaced by a central DVR which does videos now.)

#23 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 07 March 2014 - 20:22

Wait, were there even reasons to buy an OUYA at all? It was an Android phone that could output to HDMI. None of the games it had were good and it had a ton of scams going on in Kickstarter that milked their development funds for timed exclusives that weren't even worthy of being called shovelware.

#24 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 March 2014 - 21:25

Was there ever a good reason to buy one? ;)

..no