Michael Schumacher: 'only a miracle' can save him

Wow, that is brilliant news!

I hope he makes the fullest recovery possible after being in a coma for so long! When he entered the sport he took fitness to a new level so I'm sure if anyone can he will.

BERLIN ? Michael Schumacher is ?out of danger? and has been moved from intensive care to a rehabilitation ward in the Grenoble hospital where he is being treated for severe brain injuries, a magazine reported Friday.

The German Formula 1 motor racing driver, 45, has been in hospital since he struck his head on a rock during a skiing accident at the French resort of Meribel in late December.

Doctors placed him in a medically induced coma in early January to aid his recovery. Two months ago Sabine Kehm, his manager, said that Schumacher had shown ?small, encouraging signs? as doctors struggled to bring him out of the coma and into a so-called ?wake up? phase that precedes full consciousness.

The German celebrity magazine Bunte reported that Schumacher had been moved from the intensive care unit at the Grenoble hospital to a rehabilitation ward. The magazine said the driver was ?out of danger? but his chances of making a full recovery appeared to have diminished. It also reported that preparations for his transfer to a specialized rehabilitation clinic were under way.

Couldn't find anything on the BBC site

'Out of a coma' may simply mean 'he is able to breathe on his own'. I wouldn't expect a full recovery.

Autosport article:

Michael Schumacher no longer in a coma, leaves Grenoble hospital

Seven-time Formula 1 world champion Michael Schumacher is no longer in a coma and has left the Grenoble hospital where he was being treated, his family said on Monday.

The German suffered severe head injuries after a fall on a family skiing break shortly after Christmas last year.

Schumacher's life was in danger immediately after the crash, and he was left in a coma for several months as doctors continued to work on aiding his recovery.

Although there had been no official news about Schumacher's recovery for some time, a statement issued by his family and management on Monday revealed that progress had been made in recent weeks.

It confirmed that he was no longer in a coma and that he had been moved from the University Hospital in Grenoble where he had been since the accident.

The statement said: "Michael has left the CHU Grenoble to continue his long phase of rehabilitation. He is not in a coma anymore.

"His family would like to explicitly thank all his treating doctors, nurses and therapists in Grenoble as well as the first aiders at the place of the accident, who did an excellent job in those first months.

"The family also wishes to thank all the people who have sent Michael all the many good wishes to Michael. We are sure it helped him.

"For the future we ask for understanding that his further rehabilitation will take place away from the public eye."

The location of Schumacher's rehabilitation is being kept secret to respect his privacy, and it is not expected that there will be any further updates about his exact condition imminently.

Unbelievable, I was genuinely shocked and excited when I saw my phone light up with this headline earlier today. Yes he may only be breathing on his own and responding to things but I was almost certain he was gone.