VPN DNS Issue

So I am have a mac laptop that I am working on for someone. They connect to the office VPN and are unable to resolve DNS computer names on the network. The VPN server is Windows (I believe connection is PPTP). The mac use to be able to resolve DNS and now it can't. All Windows computers that have connected via the same VPN can resolve DNS. Oh, and when the mac is in the office on the wireless the DNS works just fine if they connect via the VPN or not. I don't know the OSX version, but they just bought it a few months ago.

I tried manually assigning the DNS server IP under the VPN, DNS setting and I also tried checking to force all traffic through VPN. None of this helps. Any help on solving this would be greatly appreciated.

fusi0n, on 21 Mar 2014 - 08:36, said:fusi0n, on 21 Mar 2014 - 08:36, said:

Are you running a WINS server?

No we are not, but I could I suppose if we have to.

can you ping a internal host by using the FQDN?

also you might try reseting the mDNSResponder:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

Praetor, on 21 Mar 2014 - 08:55, said:

can you ping a internal host by using the FQDN?

also you might try reseting the mDNSResponder:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

I am pretty much a noob when it comes to OSX. I have no idea what you are talking about.  :)  Would you mind explaining? Appreciate it.

I am pretty much a noob when it comes to OSX. I have no idea what you are talking about.  :)  Would you mind explaining? Appreciate it.

sure:

1 connect to the VPN, open Terminal and write:

ping <name of internal server or computer> and press Enter.

2 see if it can resolve (it must show the IP of that FQDN).

3 if it doesn't resolve then it's a DNS issue. Try the command i showed:

What this does is to stop and start (in fact unloads and loads) the process mDNSResponder, which is responsible for DNS resolution.

I found that I am anable to ping any hostname or IP on the network when connected to the VPN. When I connect from my Windows PC I am able to ping everything.