Heart attacks spike following start of daylight saving time, US study finds

It's worth noting that if you already have existing heart conditions or other serious health issues the time change might have detrimental effects. An otherwise healthy person wouldn't be affected. It said this in the article:

"It may mean that people who are already vulnerable to heart disease may be at greater risk right after sudden time changes."

But, you know, just dismiss the entire study because you don't "get it".

How does DST save energy? For a couple weeks, we're back to having to turn the lights on when we first get up, and turn them on a little later in the evening  . . . Yay?

I hate the fact that it's finally light out when I get up for work, and then after DST kicks in, it's suddenly dark again. Very depressing.

I don't know that it ever actually saved any energy, and it certainly doesn't these days.

This is taken from a site about DST random facts.

How much energy does Daylight Saving Time save? In 2008, Energy Department experts studied the impact of the extended Daylight Saving Time on energy consumption in the U.S. and found that the extra four weeks of Daylight Saving Time saved about 0.5 percent in total electricity per day. While this might not sound like a lot, it adds up to electricity savings of 1.3 billion kilowatt-hours -- or the amount of electricity used by more than 100,000 households for an entire year. These electricity savings generally occur during a three- to five-hour period in the evening. To learn how you can save energy during Daylight Saving Time, visit Energy Saver.

What does Monday have to do with anything here? The clock changes between Saturday and Sunday not Sunday and Monday. The only thing DST does is confuse people but spiking heart attacks? C'mon.

Also, I can't understand the link between DST and sleep - you still sleep the same amount as you would without it. At least most people are.

How does DST save energy? For a couple weeks, we're back to having to turn the lights on when we first get up, and turn them on a little later in the evening  . . . Yay?

I hate the fact that it's finally light out when I get up for work, and then after DST kicks in, it's suddenly dark again. Very depressing.

I don't know that it ever actually saved any energy, and it certainly doesn't these days.

- 1-2 hours of lights off daily for trillions and trillions of light bulbs

- why would you want it to be be bright out at 11 pm?

- why would you want it to still be dark at 10 am?

DST is meant for the masses, not the individual.

People here are out late, be it shopping, clubbing, going to the theater or sports events. Dept. stores are also usually open 24/7. This creates a larger victim pool for miscreants. Stats show lower street crime when it's light out or street lights are on.

How is saving energy no longer important?

Aren`t we all moving towards greener lives?

Maybe I dreamt all that stuff about the environment and ozone layer, not as if the polar ice caps are melting or that....

We should not move towards saving energy; but we should make sure it's from a 'green' origin.

But most people get up early for work. Aren't we just increasing the time the lights are on in the early morning?

And "Why would you want it to be bright out at 11 PM?" is an argument against DST - it makes sunset relatively later, although the shift isn't great enough to make that happen.

And still dark at 10 AM? Even on the shortest day of the year, that doesn't happen.

I maintain there's no need for DST, since the days are getting longer in the spring anyway.

For years I worked Sundays. So in the spring, I was getting up at what felt like 3:30 AM due to the stupid clock trick. I had no buffer, no day off to adjust. I just lost an hour sleep before work, and that's a big problem when you're a perpetual insomniac.Rather than simply being slightly less well rested, I had far worse sleep deprivation than normal.

And without the buffer day to adjust, I felt the effects for days.

And I went from it being light when I got up, to still being dark well after when I left for work.

The claimed energy savings (which I don't really believe) are a hollow victory IMO when weighed against the sleep deprivation, messed up internal clocks, and other negative factors.

We should not move towards saving energy; but we should make sure it's from a 'green' origin.

"Green" energy is as yet impractical in many locales.

Solar up here near a latitude of 45? and in snow country is problematic, and the economics of wind is far from there (maintenance, noise, RUD, and a short up-time/day.)

Making methane biologically also has cost issues, especially in the US where we have several centuries worth of natural gas under our feet.

Want green power? Support modern nuclear reactor designs, especially molten salt reactors which do not present the meltdown issue (they're already liquid) or coolant loss problems of old reactor designs (which are the ones that have failed.)

Some new reactor designs can even "eat" the spent fuels from older designs, and leave much shorter lived materials. Long term storage problem solved.

People here are out late, be it shopping, clubbing, going to the theater or sports events. Dept. stores are also usually open 24/7. This creates a larger victim pool for miscreants. Stats show lower street crime when it's light out or street lights are on.

If stores are open 24/7. then how is there a smaller victim pool during DST? It's still the same amount of darkness. The days get longer in the spring, but DST has absolutely nothing to do with it.

And an hour isn't going to make any difference for people who are out late. It'd be dark regardless.