Photo

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Julius Caro

Julius Caro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:30

I need a streaming media player (I dont even know what name they give to these devices anymore) that is capable of the following:

- Netflix 

- Comprehensive MKV playback (high profiles for h264, subtitle support, resume playback, the usual)

- Ethernet a must, WiFi a plus 

- NTFS support for USB drives

- 1080p support for everything (netflix, mkvs, etc)

- network playback (something that will let me stream high bitrate video files regardless of format, network conditions permitting)

I have a 2013 Samsung SmartTV that plays everything I throw at it. The thing can handle 25GB MKV files like a champ.  And you can also install netflix, youtube, etc. 

Now I need something similar for a different TV that doesnt have samsung smart tv software, and I wonder what device will do the trick. ive been looking into:

- roku 3

- wdtv live

and some bluray players (apparently some samsung BD players DO have the smart tv software, but Im pretty sure they lack the network playback support unless it is DLNA). 

Any recommendations?? 

Thanks in advance

#2 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:24

Honestly in my experience as an apple hater. Nothing even compares to the AppleTV as a media box. All the other one sap have a terrible UX they're slow or unstable. My WDTV live or whatever remain unused after even the netflix app on it can't predictably play stuff, sure SD it plays but HD it'll play one then refuse to play anymore until you hard reboot.

Of course an AppleTV doesn't suit your usecase. Leaving you with only one real option, get a mini PC load windows on it and run plex or media portal, or even XBMC, thoug for many reasons I would suggest the others over it

I suggest you look into the intel NUC mini computers. All ready to go and hook up, some of them come with a IR port for remote control as wel.

#3 joemailey

joemailey

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:49

I needed something similar and I have always been picky with my Media setup. Not sure if this will help your or not, if you require any other info let me know :-)

Until I discovered AppleTV + Plex media server + PlexConnect

Hardware required:

Apple TV(any Gen incl. 3)

PC with Plex media centre installed(or any other piece of hardware that can handle plex)

Software:

Plex Connect to trick your apple tv trailers app in to conencting to your PC. install guide

Plex Media center: Here

You can also install the Plex app for your samsung tv via smarthub apps :-)

I just have a simple PC running plex and all my stuff on usb in to back of PC(so I can take my content with me whenever I need to)

This has been the best setup I've found my my environment. Not to mention the awesom job plex does at downloading the synopsis and cover art of shows etc.

#4 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:50

Just FYI WDTV is a hunk of garbage...

#5 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:56

Raspberry Pi with XBMC ?

#6 OP Julius Caro

Julius Caro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 April 2014 - 14:43

Thanks for your suggestions. Apple TV doesn't really suits my needs, and while I keep hearing good things about it, Im not in the US so the apps I would have access to would not justify it for me. Great for Netflix, but not so great for anything else. 

A mini PC with windows would be ideal, but it's over budget at the moment. I dont really have a centralized media file storage or anything. Ideally I would love to have a NAS and be able to browse the files with flex, for example. 

So my options are to check out which of these sub-$100 is actually worth a try. There are some samsung BD players in that price range that seem to have smart tv (good for netflix and flex apps), and theoretically would play MKVs as well. But they flood the market with so many models I dont even know what does what anymore. 

#7 Mouettus

Mouettus

Neowinian

Posted 01 April 2014 - 14:52

Just FYI WDTV is a hunk of garbage...

Very slow indeed and interface quite clunky but a 100$ box that can play DTS... there is none other!

#8 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 April 2014 - 14:58

Honestly in my experience as an apple hater. Nothing even compares to the AppleTV as a media box. All the other one sap have a terrible UX they're slow or unstable. My WDTV live or whatever remain unused after even the netflix app on it can't predictably play stuff, sure SD it plays but HD it'll play one then refuse to play anymore until you hard reboot.

Of course an AppleTV doesn't suit your usecase. Leaving you with only one real option, get a mini PC load windows on it and run plex or media portal, or even XBMC, thoug for many reasons I would suggest the others over it

I suggest you look into the intel NUC mini computers. All ready to go and hook up, some of them come with a IR port for remote control as wel.

Seriously?  The roku 3 is one of the best on the market.  It is lightyears ahead of ATV just by the fact that it allows for 3rd party plugins.  Plus Plex media server is outstanding.

#9 V9s

V9s

Neowinian

Posted 01 April 2014 - 15:09

Seriously? No one answered Popcorn Hour?

http://www.cloudmedia.com/

#10 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 01 April 2014 - 20:02

Seriously? No one answered Popcorn Hour?

http://www.cloudmedia.com/

Never heard of it before. Do you have one? Share your experience.

#11 V9s

V9s

Neowinian

Posted 03 April 2014 - 15:36

Never heard of it before. Do you have one? Share your experience.

Nope. But if I was looking for a media player, i'd go with it. I've only heard great things about it.

#12 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 April 2014 - 15:55

Moving away from the hardware question, and focusing on the software side, I would go with plex.

My setup is a windows 8 machine in hall under the stairs with 3 x 2TB and 3 x 1TB drives all setup using storage spaces as a massive pool with parity (really don't want to lose m collection of 2TB+ media). Plex server runs on this and categorises, downloads cover art, synopsis etc from IMDB and others and presents it all to plex clients on my laptop, phone, Samsung bluray and (hoping) soon the xbox one.

It even works outside the network via internet.

#13 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 03 April 2014 - 15:56

I would recommend a Raspberry Pi.

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 03 April 2014 - 19:50

Moving away from the hardware question, and focusing on the software side, I would go with plex.

My setup is a windows 8 machine in hall under the stairs with 3 x 2TB and 3 x 1TB drives all setup using storage spaces as a massive pool with parity (really don't want to lose m collection of 2TB+ media). Plex server runs on this and categorises, downloads cover art, synopsis etc from IMDB and others and presents it all to plex clients on my laptop, phone, Samsung bluray and (hoping) soon the xbox one.

It even works outside the network via internet.

Personally I prefer MediaPortal. BUT Plex is what I run now. Simply because I don't need the tuner functionality ATM and because plex synchronizes viewed files automatically without setup. I can do it with MP as well, but it requires putting the config/database on a shared location and setting up all clients to use that file. Messy, and not worth it for the few benefits I get in MP over Plex seeing as I have 2 media center computers and I can play the movies on plex on my computer, laptop, iPad or phone do have it all synced as watched.

I would recommend a Raspberry Pi.

Unless he wants to watch any full HD content with full surround sound, which the raspberry pi can't handle.

#15 Krome

Krome

Neowinian God!

Posted 03 April 2014 - 20:06

Not sure if this player can do all that but the best simplest player I prefer using is MPC-HC (Media Player Classic - Home Cinema x64).  Maybe you can head to http://www.mpc-hc.org/ and find out if that player can do what you wanted to do.  It is by far the best MKV player I've come across.