new york replacements city contracts union

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,503 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 15:21

UPS is firing 250 Queens, N.Y., drivers for walking off the job during a 90-minute protest in February.

The company dismissed 20 of the workers after their shifts Monday and issued notices of termination to another 230 employees, notifying them that they will be fired once the company has trained their replacements, UPS spokesman Steve Gaut told Business Insider.

The workers were protesting the dismissal of longtime employee and union activist Jairo Reyes, who was fired over an hours dispute, according to Gaut. The New York Daily News first reported on the firings.

Local politicians are threatening to cancel city contracts that give UPS millions of dollars in breaks on parking fines.

"They took a grievance with one employee and turned it into notices of termination with 250 workers," New York City Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer told The Queens Courier. "That’s outrageous. These are good, hardworking employees who have a contract for UPS. To try and break this contract, break this union, is something that is unacceptable and we can’t tolerate."

UPS fired back that it might need to terminate additional employees if the city alters its contract.

more

#2 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,379 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 15:23

Fair play.  They weren't working.

#3 Hurmoth

Hurmoth

Neowinian Senior

• 21,117 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 15:27

I think they call it freedom. The employees are free to protest, and the company is free to fire them :laugh: 

#4 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,503 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 15:29

Whip them into submission.

#5 SoCalRox

SoCalRox

Neowinian

• 492 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 16:50

I'm not sure where the problem is here. 

#6 br0adband

br0adband

The one and only...

• 522 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:13

So 250 lose their jobs, not a problem: there'll be 25,000 standing in line on Monday to apply for those positions.

Moving on...

<yes, this was a facetious post...>

#7 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,642 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:15

What should have happened to all those fast food/retail workers demanding higher pay. 

#8 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 11,122 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:20

So 250 lose their jobs, not a problem: there'll be 25,000 standing in line on Monday to apply for those positions.

Moving on...

And then the 250 they hire realize they're getting the shaft and want something better. Then what? We keep going in circles? Not exactly an efficient way to run a business or feed the economy.

#9 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,551 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:26

Moving on...

You know the physical demands for said positions, I doubt they will find 25K waiting to fill those positions.

#10 +techbeck

techbeck

• 19,642 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:28

I am all for protesting and having your voice heard.  But this should have been done outside of work hours.  Since these employees walked out on the job when they were supposed to be working, it is considered a voluntary resignation of their job at many businesses.

#11 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 3,153 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:34

"Local politicians are threatening to cancel city contracts that give UPS millions of dollars in breaks on parking fines."

Why should UPS get breaks on parking fines in the first place? As to the main point of the story, I agree with the comment immediately above mine.

#12 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,225 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:50

Why should UPS get breaks on parking fines in the first place? As to the main point of the story, I agree with the comment immediately above mine.

So they can make more profit while overcharging US.

I have no pity for UPS. They have been on my black list for a while now.

#13 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,209 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 04 April 2014 - 17:51

I am all for protesting and having your voice heard. But this should have been done outside of work hours. Since these employees walked out on the job when they were supposed to be working, it is considered a voluntary resignation of their job at many businesses.

What impact would an out-of-hours protest do though? It's the same principle as a regular protest. If you don't cause disruption nobody will listen, especially when UPS (apparently) has such a level of animosity towards its employees.

#14 Hurmoth

Hurmoth

Neowinian Senior

• 21,117 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 18:02

What impact would an out-of-hours protest do though? It's the same principle as a regular protest. If you don't cause disruption nobody will listen, especially when UPS (apparently) has such a level of animosity towards its employees.

They were protesting something that wasn't really any of their business. The hours dispute was between UPS and Jairo Reyes. If they had stayed out of it, they'd still have their jobs. But they didn't and now they don't.

There are customers who depend on getting their packages, if you were one of those customers, you'd be complaining that UPS wasn't doing their job. Guess what, it wasn't UPS, it was a bunch of stupid employees who got involved in a fight they had no business in the middle of to begin with. I'd be defending them to the ends of the earth if it was a protest on something that actually mattered, but it wasn't.

#15 +techbeck

techbeck

• 19,642 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 18:03

Protesting is all about being heard and showing the business and community about what you are protesting about.  When disruption occurs, that is when problems start.  Protesting should be done in a civil manner.  And if you get enough community awareness of what is going on, that will effectively disrupt the business with a bad reputation/image.  A lot of news will come from it, TV spots, and also online news stories.