Photo

Phil hints at freeing apps from Pay Wall.

xbox live xbox 360 xbox one phil spencer

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#16 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 08 April 2014 - 16:09

Once these "plans" are unveiled you'll see optimism if they're favourable for the consumer. Until then people will be skeptical considering how long this paywall has remained in place. What we don't want is okay guys, the apps like Netflix/YT/IE can now be used by anyone.*

*On a leap year and only when there is a full moon.

In other words it's all or nothing, no one is going to be impressed by one artificial wall being taken down and replaced by another.

I have a feeling they'll open up apps which don't require subs to Free accounts but everything else remains behind the paywall.

#17 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 08 April 2014 - 16:10

What if I told you the wall was a good thing? 

#18 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 08 April 2014 - 16:12

I have a feeling they'll open up apps which don't require subs to Free accounts but everything else remains behind the paywall.

Why not the opposite?

Many people's biggest issue is that apps that already require a paid subscription are behind Gold.  Let's say they started by just saying that any app that requires a subscription service does not have to be behind Gold? 

#19 Houtei

Houtei

Neowinian

Posted 08 April 2014 - 16:15

Well first of all no matter what they do there will ALWAYS be someone not happy with it.   I do believe they will move things like netflix and hulu and amazon from behind the wall but most of it will stay.   At the same time i dont really care because I have 4 years still left on my xblive sub.  I dont know anyone with a XO that does not have xblive.

#20 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 08 April 2014 - 16:15

Why not the opposite?

Many people's biggest issue is that apps that already require a paid subscription are behind Gold.  Let's say they started by just saying that any app that requires a subscription service does not have to be behind Gold? 

Either way it makes no sense. You either charge people twice for the same content, or you make them pay for a free service.

#21 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 April 2014 - 16:18

Either way it makes no sense. You either charge people twice for the same content, or you make them pay for a free service.

Oh I'm not saying it makes sense. 

I mean if we are assuming that MS will choose a method that makes no sense, then I was trying to think of which one makes the least sense.

#22 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 08 April 2014 - 16:19

Oh I'm not saying it makes sense. 

I mean if we are assuming that MS will choose a method that makes no sense, then I was trying to think of which one makes the least sense.

:laugh:

Well either way I hope they drop it soon (i.e this year).

Keep MP behind XBL, and then add value to the sub with GwG and the original TV programmes. Although, I highly doubt they're making the the latter free to view, but it again would make the most sense.

#23 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 08 April 2014 - 16:40

If Microsoft wants to do more than just gaming, they need to respect the people who may not always want to play games. I mean, hell, the Xbox One itself is designed in being the "one device to rule them all" sort of thing, but then you stick apps behind a paywall, say it's for quality purposes, and wonder why people might end up buying the console that's $100 cheaper.

It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not about to give my customers the whole marketing spiel on why they need Gold if they're not going to play online, just to access a service they already pay for. I mean, would you? It just makes me cringe... :/

#24 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 08 April 2014 - 17:16

Why not the opposite?

Either way they're making their service more complicated than it needs to be; which is always a bad thing.

#25 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 08 April 2014 - 17:21

Remove apps that are free on the web, or that have their own subscription from the pay wall. Allow multiplayer games without Gold (that's what killed GfWL IMO). Just add a modest fee for each game sold that uses XfW or Xbox service and charge no fee. Maybe don't allow MP chat unless you have Gold, but allow the actual multiplayer gameplay. Xbox Achievements are better than whatever is going on with Steam as is the online community.

Steam means nothing to me but if MS does go with Steam, allow Steam to hook into Xbox achievements. My Steam profile and achievements there will never mean anything to me. Steam is to Xbox and XfW as Linux is to Windows OS. I have no use for it unless it was the only option left. But I do understand why gamers killed GfWL and XfW. Too many greedy fees.

#26 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 April 2014 - 17:23

Xbox Achievements are better than whatever is going on with Steam as is the online community.

Did you just say Xbox Live has a better community than Steam?!

#27 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 08 April 2014 - 17:28

Did you just say Xbox Live has a better community than Steam?!

Yes. I believe that. Of course I use privacy and controls, and reporting liberally. I find the steam community to be rather stupid dudes with Internet bravado, Internet ganster wannabes etc. It's just boring as is the Steam service. XBL has same issues but easier to control and more "normal" people IMO. Of course when you get into the typical ###### games such as the FPS' like BF and Halo, you have to decide if you even want to bother, but in general I'd recommend XBL for normal people wanting to be in an online community with straight forward controls and parental controls. Like Steam, if found PSN to be a lower grade community overall. Sometimes you get what you pay for which is why in general I don't have a problem with Gold, I just think there's too much behind the pay wall.

#28 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

Posted 08 April 2014 - 17:55

Does anyone have an Xbox One without Gold? It seems like a moot issue

#29 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 08 April 2014 - 17:58

Yes. I believe that. Of course I use privacy and controls, and reporting liberally. I find the steam community to be rather stupid dudes with Internet bravado, Internet ganster wannabes etc. It's just boring as is the Steam service. XBL has same issues but easier to control and more "normal" people IMO.

Well, that's the first I've heard of it. :ermm:

Also, not sure how it's easier to control, or what controls you actually need beyond an ignore button. I've never been harassed on Steam though so I'm not sure what you're talking about at all.

I've heard of specific GAME communities being volatile, like the Call of Duty series or MOBA-style games, but that's again, game specific.

#30 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 April 2014 - 17:58

:laugh:

Well either way I hope they drop it soon (i.e this year).

Keep MP behind XBL, and then add value to the sub with GwG and the original TV programmes. Although, I highly doubt they're making the the latter free to view, but it again would make the most sense.

I don't see a problem with MS offering some exclusive apps behind Gold.  I again point to the ESPN app.  there is no equal on any other platform, so you can't claim its an app that is free elsewhere.  It was built from the ground up as an exclusive Xbox experience.  If an app like that were to remain behind Gold, I would be ok with that.

So all they need to do is open up the Xbox app store so that developers can publish any app (paid or free) without requiring Gold.  Then MS can still make special partnerships to secure the creation of exclusive apps that they turn around and offer as a perk for Gold.

Think of it like they are treating indie games with the ID@Xbox program.  A game developer can choose to make use of that program and not be locked to one console (and they don't have to require Gold if its a SP game and then the exceptions for FTP games, etc) or they can partner up with MS to create an exclusive title.  If MS starts treating regular app developers like game developers, then that seems to solve all the problems.