#1 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 25 April 2014 - 15:03

Real PS4 Screenshots Justify All That 'Next-Gen' Hype

http://www.kotaku.co...-next-gen-hype/

Back when the PS4 and Xbox One were announced, “next-gen” meant a lot of things to a lot of people. Smarter games, bigger games, different games, more ways to play with your friends. But it also meant that games would look a whole lot better.

It could sometimes be hard to tell just what that meant. We’ve learned not to entirely trust the screenshots sent to the public by publishers, as they’re often scrubbed-up “bullshots” designed to make a game look smoother and prettier than it ever actually looks as you play it.

That’s not the case with the PS4 game Infamous: Second Son. Fire the game up for the first time and it’s clear: It is beautiful. And, thanks to the recently-added Photo Mode, players have begun to take the time to capture and celebrate just how good-looking it all is.

The following images are all fan-made, authentic PS4 screenshots that look as good as we all expected next-gen to look. Hell, most of them look better than any of the Sony-approved promotional screenshots we in the press got during the buildup to the game’s release.

vxppduu521dkewoqmnqn.jpg

zf16gcriwtgp0flxiria.jpg

lwulujtnf7ygfldij2oy.jpg

mgojg8wsqk8r5h56tvam.jpg

kzi3bw7z00bn1uqxmamq.jpg

kz2xw325bc78yztkaqnx.jpg

raah4js7vogw4fgbyfft.jpg

bcnfoudg2aega9lugcvx.jpg

#2 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 April 2014 - 15:11

Meh, I've been playing Second Son the past week. It looks good but its by no means amazing.

#3 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 25 April 2014 - 15:49

Second Son is clearly a good looking game. I've enjoyed the entire experience so much that I was motivated to come back and do another play through. The visuals contribute so much to that experience. It aids in the immersion factor and the 'wonder' factor for the lack of a better term.

I'm glad to see that a game that is running at 1080p/30 is still held up as truly showing next gen potential. It reflects on the reality that some of the number wars are not as crucial as is sometimes implied.

I can only think of one other game this generation so far that I would point to as giving us a taste of what next gen visuals can be and 'justifying' the next gen hype.

The great thing to realize is that this is just the beginning. Even this early, we are starting to see what will come.

#4 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 25 April 2014 - 15:53

Not impressed. All those shots have very low polygon counts and try to make up the detail in the texturing and effects.

#5 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 25 April 2014 - 15:55

They talk about bullshots, say they are a bad thing and not representative of the real game, and then post shots from a 'photo mode' which are the exact same thing thing as bullshots except taken by users instead of the developer.

#6 DeltaXray

DeltaXray

Neowinian

Posted 25 April 2014 - 16:05

Seems like a few people are missing the point of the article in that they are fan-submitted screenshots.

In fairness Infamous is a very, very good-looking game.  The lighting/reflections in the wet have got to be some of the best produced so far on any platform.

#7 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 April 2014 - 16:12

Seems like a few people are missing the point of the article in that they are fan-submitted screenshots.

In fairness Infamous is a very, very good-looking game.  The lighting/reflections in the wet have got to be some of the best produced so far on any platform.

I think that is unfair to PC people who have been looking at very nice looking games for long time. Even Xbox one Ryse looks very good but just like infamous the game play is not very good.

#8 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

Posted 25 April 2014 - 16:15

Not sure why that Bank of Seattle one is in there

#9 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 April 2014 - 16:21

The chain link one looks pretty bad imo...

#10 OP GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 25 April 2014 - 16:22

I think that is unfair to PC people who have been looking at very nice looking games for long time. Even Xbox one Ryse looks very good but just like infamous the game play is not very good.

Most reviews consider the gameplay of Infamous to be very good, As someone who has played the game I'd have to agree with them.

They talk about bullshots, say they are a bad thing and not representative of the real game, and then post shots from a 'photo mode' which are the exact same thing thing as bullshots except taken by users instead of the developer.

Photo-mode is just a screenshot in-game which just pauses the game, allows you to move your view around and then take a screenshot without the health-bar and other indicators on screen.

Not sure why that Bank of Seattle one is in there

Its an In-game screenshot, the game is based in Seattle. 

#11 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 25 April 2014 - 16:28

Reminder to you all, the "trolling-card" won't be tolerated. If there's a problem, report it.

#12 0nyX

0nyX

Posting from Apple //c

Posted 25 April 2014 - 16:45

I find Infamous Second Son to be the first serious "sample" of what next gen games will bring.

The game is visually stunning and so fun, that hours pass by without noticing it which is something not to be taken for granted with most modern games.

#13 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 25 April 2014 - 18:00

Those screenshots aren't half bad, nothing GTX Titan level of course but for a console very good. But if these are from a "photo mode" aren't they getting some effects put on? Forza 5 has a photo mode and you can spiff up the photos with some filters, so it's not really a true screenshot anymore.

#14 PmRd

PmRd

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone 8 (Nokia 1020)

Posted 25 April 2014 - 18:09

Unreal Engine 4 looks better

#15 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Phone: iPhone 5 (very cheap second hand)

Posted 25 April 2014 - 18:16

The last one is amazing in terms of color and composition

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!