Windows 7 has higher infection rate than XP - Source: Microsoft

I agree but something that most people wouldn't imagine possible happened to me when my mom got her first PC... I nuked the Dell crap that came with it and did a fresh install of XP. I then installed Firefox with Adblock Plus, added my trusty HOSTS file, deleted the IE shortcuts and sent her on her way. NO ANTIVIRUS or anything!

She was good for about a year until she fell for an email phishing scam saying the IRS owed her money (Just give us your details...).

I know. I should have spent more time explaining about phishing and watching who you give your email address to.  She's old and has a lot of trouble understanding the simplest things when it comes to computer literacy and I'm prone to losing patience on that subject.

I do the same way to family and friends... I explained to them.

I got the filters on and protect my network and computers..  like you did.

My computer boots/runs faster than my family's because they are running antivirus program on their computer.  I don't have any on mine.

Years back (maybe around 2000)... I had 866 MHz computer... my friend had 1GHz or whatever he had that I couldn't remember. So he and I turned the computers on at same time... Mine ran faster than his computer because he had stuff running in background.

He was like "How the hell do you do that?"  He told his friends that he said "He got a badass computer... boots up and runs very fast."  

LOL

I wonder what a certain pig headed ex member of this forum would have made of this.....

(NO NAMES!)

But on a personal note, I'm not worried, just like ME and XP, a decent security package and regular cleaning once a month......... (Come to think of it, I don't remember if I've ever been infected since the move to 7.....)

A poll on this might make an interesting read.

Im on Windows 7. Earlier Monday, I did a scan. Turns out I had a freaking TROJAN in there >_< I dont know how it got here, but it got here.....

Im on Windows 7. Earlier Monday, I did a scan. Turns out I had a freaking TROJAN in there >_< I dont know how it got here, but it got here.....

You may not have had an active trojan.  Sometimes they come down with web page ads that get jacked so you end up with a copy on your hdd but you probably never actually ran the file.  If you only found one trojan it was not likely ever active.