Man dies after test of bulletproof vest fails

HONEA PATH, SC (FOX Carolina) -- The Anderson County Sheriff's Office said a woman has been charged after a man died when a bullet missed the protective vest he was wearing when he asked a friend to shoot him. :|

Anderson County deputies said they received a call at 2:41 a.m. from a home on Broadmouth Church Road and arrived to find the victim lying in the garage area of a home with a single gunshot wound to the chest.

People at the scene performed CPR on the man, and paramedics were called before the coroner was called to the scene, deputies said.

Deputy coroner Don McCown said the victim, 26-year-old Blake Wardell, bled to death after he was shot in the chest.

McCown said Wardell and about eight to 10 friends were hanging out at the home when they decided to try on a bulletproof vest and have someone shoot them.

Wardell wore the vest but the shooter missed the Kevlar, hitting him in the chest, McCown said.

McCown said Wardell's death is classified as a homicide. He said there was no evidence of heavy alcohol or drug use.

Lt. Sheila Cole said 18-year-old Taylor Ann Kelly has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with the shooting.

According to Cole, a person convicted of the charge may face up to 5 years in prison.

Kelly is being held at the Anderson County Detention Center. Her bond was set at $10,000.

source

"there was no evidence of heavy alcohol or drug use"

No,

It was just "light" use of some really "killer" stuff!

Are people really getting to be this stupid now a days? Never mind, no need for an answer to that one!

Very sorry to hear some one had to die while doing this type of dumb s**t! Very sorry to hear the shooter doesn't know how to aim at all also! :s

That's just sad..

Not really, he was being a total idiot and paid the price, it's Darwin fixing the gene pool.

This isn't sad, it's just plain dumb.

A used kevlar vest is also worthless afterward I thought? I guess it's still classified as unused in this case :s

• Like 2

so... 8-10 people there, and not one of them thought this would be a bad idea??

And I think a life time of guilt would suffice here, in addition to the public shame. Otherwise you get 5 years for being stupid.

If that was illegal, a lot of people would be in jail ;-)

• Like 1

And...It's not in Florida!

Never ever point a gun at anything or any person unless you intend to take that persons/things life. Had they followed that rule old boy would be alive. 

• Like 2

Vests are only good for a certain number of years.  There is an expiration on them and the fibers break down after time so there could be damage even if she hit the vest.

I guess another Darwin award winner here...

I'm confused as to why the person who fired the gun should go to jail, if the guy who got shot ASKED them to do it? Yes the person died, but they volunteered to get shot. 

I'm confused as to why the person who fired the gun should go to jail, if the guy who got shot ASKED them to do it? Yes the person died, but they volunteered to get shot. 

Its still a crime to shoot someone like that, even if they ask you to.

You might want to get your grammar right before calling others idiots.

There's a huuuuuuge(bad grammar) difference between bad spelling and grammar and having people shoot you to test a bulletproof vest. Kind of like the difference between shaving and cutting off your head.

If someone asks you to push them off the golden gate, would you do it ?

She gets jail time because she fired a gun and involuntarily killed a person for being an idiot and doing illegal stuff.

Even the jackass guys wouldn't do something so stupid and if they did they would hire an experienced sniper to do it. What kind of person would agree to shooting someone, hope she gets the full 5yrs.

Involuntary manslaughter

Not really, he was being a total idiot and paid the price, it's Darwin fixing the gene pool.

This isn't sad, it's just plain dumb.

Man, Darwin's really having a busy year so far!

I think he already slipped one by the goalie.  I thought I saw a pic of him holding a small child.  Can't find it today, though.