crytek ps4 xbox one sony microsoft gaming consoles

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91 DeltaXray

DeltaXray

Neowinian

• 538 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 19:34

You also need to remember that this generation is the closest to PC hardware that any console gen has been (followed by original Xbox and Dreamcast) and even so they are not off-the-shelf parts.  Pretty much every other console used custom developed CPU and GPUs.

It is just simple maths.  Consoles are closed systems, so piracy is negligible.  Price per game is a lot higher. PC gamers are made up of a relatively small number of hardcore gamers which upgrade their boxes frequently and spend a lot of money on their rig, and pirates. You don't really get casual gamers on PC.

The majority of game sales are on console and it has propped up the gaming industry for many years. That is just simple fact. If consoles weren't around games publishers and developers would have shut up shop long ago.

That's NOT to say PC gaming doesn't have its place.  I was born a PC gamer and i'll die a PC gamer, but I spend way more of my time gaming from my couch on my TV because that's where I prefer to play these days.  The PC gaming community has a huge role to play, especially mods and suchlike which we will likely never see on consoles.  But to say that that small community of PC gamers is propping up the industry as a whole is nonsense.

#92 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 19:48

You also need to remember that this generation is the closest to PC hardware that any console gen has been (followed by original Xbox and Dreamcast) and even so they are not off-the-shelf parts.  Pretty much every other console used custom developed CPU and GPUs.

It is just simple maths.  Consoles are closed systems, so piracy is negligible.  Price per game is a lot higher. PC gamers are made up of a relatively small number of hardcore gamers which upgrade their boxes frequently and spend a lot of money on their rig, and pirates. You don't really get casual gamers on PC.

The majority of game sales are on console and it has propped up the gaming industry for many years. That is just simple fact. If consoles weren't around games publishers and developers would have shut up shop long ago.

That's NOT to say PC gaming doesn't have its place.  I was born a PC gamer and i'll die a PC gamer, but I spend way more of my time gaming from my couch on my TV because that's where I prefer to play these days.  The PC gaming community has a huge role to play, especially mods and suchlike which we will likely never see on consoles.  But to say that that small community of PC gamers is propping up the industry as a whole is nonsense.

+1 for sure.

To tie this to the topic, Crytek are a typical example. If PCs are so great and consoles are so limiting, how come all of their games have ended up on consoles? Because the Yerli brothers are sane businessmen, with families and a responsibility to other people's families and lives. There is no shame in this. A console version does not lessen the technically superior PC version. I have said this before, the existence of a Taurus or a Camry doesn't make an Aventador any less exciting.

#93 MFH

MFH

RAII fanatic

• 2,350 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 22:34

trooper11, on 23 May 2014 - 04:31, said:

So your advocating for console makers to take huge losses in order to hit the price points?

Yeah, a never before heard of concept, what am I thinking…  /s

You think Sony can afford to do that?

Yeah, as a consumer that is really my problem - NOT!

Usually a tactic like that would be considered anti-competitive

Yeah, 'cause this is not an established practice in the console market… /s

neoadorable, on 23 May 2014 - 04:52, said:

What are we communists now?

So by your logic: Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo at various points of their console hardware business were communists, because they were actually doing what I suggested… - maybe learning what communism actually is, would help you understand that this is not even remotely related to it…

Why do they need to subsidize anything and eat the cost?

Let's see: Because it allows them to offer somewhat future proof hardware at a low price by cross-financing it via increased game prices [which actually have not been "adjusted" to this non cross-financing model in this generation(!)] … (you know, the model that has been used at least since the Nintendo Famicon/Entertainment System.. - those damn Japanese communists at Nintendo, right?)

You want 32GB of RAM and a 2TB SSD, go put together a PC.

No, I don't want that. But how about getting hardware the price is worth? At this point in time from a hardware standpoint the Xbox One is a lower specced PS4 for the same price - some what considerer that a rip off… (Had MS just shelled out about 20 dollars more per system [note that DDR3 is still cheaper than GDDR5, which means that MS is likely having lower costs on a Xbox than Sony has on a PS…] to increase the ESRAM - a big limitation of the design(!) - the Xbox would not be that lacking compared to the PS…)

#94 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

• 1,724 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 22:57

+1 for sure.

To tie this to the topic, Crytek are a typical example. If PCs are so great and consoles are so limiting, how come all of their games have ended up on consoles? Because the Yerli brothers are sane businessmen, with families and a responsibility to other people's families and lives. There is no shame in this. A console version does not lessen the technically superior PC version. I have said this before, the existence of a Taurus or a Camry doesn't make an Aventador any less exciting.

If you look at a game like Star Citizen (which uses the Crytek engine)  the developer has indeed said consoles are limiting therefore not coming consoles right now.  If you build the right game for PC customers will support you.  If look at Star Citizen the largest crowd funded game in history.    Crytek is not the developer to say that the consoles are inferior I think Epic games has said the same thing.   

#95 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,825 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 23:50

No, I don't want that. But how about getting hardware the price is worth? At this point in time from a hardware standpoint the Xbox One is a lower specced PS4 for the same price - some what considerer that a rip off… (Had MS just shelled out about 20 dollars more per system [note that DDR3 is still cheaper than GDDR5, which means that MS is likely having lower costs on a Xbox than Sony has on a PS…] to increase the ESRAM - a big limitation of the design(!) - the Xbox would not be that lacking compared to the PS…)

Buying a console is not like buying a PC where you check the specs with the aims of running a bunch of high end software. When you buy a console you're buying into a closed system & everything that comes with it, it's solely about whether the hard ware is this powerful or that powerful. If MS goes to E3 with a bunch of amazing 1st party titles & Sony have nothing, then who's going to feel ripped off?

You look back at prior generations & you can see that many times the weakest console is just as successful if not more than the more powerful alternatives.

I am not saying MS is doing well or that they are going to come out on top, but they aren't getting backed into a corner because their hardware is less powerful.

#96 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• 5,039 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:15

Yeah, a never before heard of concept, what am I thinking…  /s

You do realize that a strategy like that is unsustainable don't you? Why has Nintendo always avoided it and why do Sony and MS try to avoid it now?

Yeah, as a consumer that is really my problem - NOT!

It is your problem when the platforms fold and your left with less choice in the form of competition. Its one thing to make a suggestion, its another to ignore how these things work.

Yeah, 'cause this is not an established practice in the console market… /s

yeah cause that hasn't gotten companies in trouble.... /s

The bottom line is that Sony and MS chose the current path because the old path was unsustainable.

The old idea of taking losses up front worked out because you had a long cycle. If everyone demands a quicker cycle such as 3-4 years, then you have to change the strategy,

#97 OP McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• 6,027 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 6

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:27

Tt is your problem when the platforms fold and your left with less choice in the form of competition. Its one thing to make a suggestion, its another to ignore how these things work.

yeah cause that hasn't gotten companies in trouble.... /s

Even last generation when I only owned a 360, hearing about Sony's financial trouble worried me. Sony and Microsoft keep each other on their toes. I dreaded to think if Sony pulled a Sega and pulled out and left Microsoft running against Nintendo. 

Either Microsoft would have ignored Nintendo as not competition, seeing as they mostly targeted a different audience at the time, or severely "causal" the 360 to target Nintendos primary audience, which they did with the Kinect and Avatars anyway.

#98 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:03

If you look at a game like Star Citizen (which uses the Crytek engine)  the developer has indeed said consoles are limiting therefore not coming consoles right now.  If you build the right game for PC customers will support you.  If look at Star Citizen the largest crowd funded game in history.    Crytek is not the developer to say that the consoles are inferior I think Epic games has said the same thing.   

Agree with you and liked your post. This is very healthy, I have no problem that Chris Roberts is open about targeting very high end desktops, that's part of a healthy market. I'm not saying every game needs to run on everything, just that the existence of more powerful hardware doesn't make the less powerful devices bad. I see people getting genuine joy from playing on smartphones and tablets, so i'm supposed to look down at them? No, they're enjoying themselves, that's the purpose of gaming.

However, knowing Chris Roberts' efforts from his very first releases, expect a lot of Steam discussions about Star Citizen causing $2000 GPU crashes :rofl:

And just because Crytek aren't the only snobs doesn't make snobs OK. Like I said before, Crytek need to be quiet fast as 90% of their money comes from consoles now.