Microsoft Surface event discussion

Hmm just saw on engadget that this is an N-trig pen. Wonder what effect that will have on the people who really depend on a good pen, seeing as that Wacom is generally viewed as the gold standard. 

No thunderport confirmed

also apparently now using Ntrig, with 256 pressure point.  Not sure how some will feel about the switch

New dock has gigabit Ethernet this time

Specs

Weight

650 grams

Supported platforms

Surface Pro 3

Dimensions

330mm x 97mm x 112mm

Ports

Power supply input

3 USB 3.0 ports

2 USB 2.0 ports

Gigabit Ethernet port

3.5mm audio input/output

Mini DisplayPort video output

Security lock slot

New digitiser has a battery too, bah :(

Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro Type Cover and Surface Pen will be available for pre-order starting May 21 at 12:01 a.m. EDT through Microsoftstore.com, Microsoft retail stores and select third-party retailers. Commercial customers should speak to their authorized reseller.

Beginning June 20 in Canada and the United States, customers can visit Microsoftstore.com, Microsoft retail stores, select third-party retailers and commercial resellers to purchase Intel? Core? i5 Surface Pro 3 and select accessories. Additional configurations will become available during August, and additional accessories will be available in the next few months.

By the end of August, Surface Pro 3 and select new accessories will become available for purchase in 26 additional markets, including Australia, Austria, Belgium, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Malaysia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand and the United Kingdom.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/may14/05-20surfacepr.aspx

bit of a wait and limited availability at launch.  Bloody Microsoft :(

Retail channels take a bit to stuff with product - especially if there is only one manufacturing plant.  (Wasn't that the case with Surface 2/Pro 2 as well?)

Hopefully, I can get to the local Microsoft Store (Fashion Center @ Pentagon City - same floor as the Apple Store and around the corner from it) to take a gander at it the week of my birthday (first week of July).

New Type cover

0.65lbs circa 254 grams, that adds a bit

11.6"* 8.54 *0.19

available in: Black, Cyan, Blue, Red, Purple

isn't thunderbolt mainly an Apple thing? (i haven't really seen anything else with one)

Actually, Thunderbolt is both an Apple and Intel thing (which is why I am wary - the same was true of FireWire, which is STILL supported in Mavericks, by the way).  Thunderbolt is available in quite a few motherboards (mostly from Gigabyte and ASUS, though I have seen it elsewhere).

The Pro 3 isn't targeting the iPad;  it's targeting your notebook - or your laptop, especially a legacy laptop.

Better screen resolution than most notebooks or laptops, better battery life than any notebook or laptop I've heard of, and NO software learning curve (unless you're running Windows 7 or earlier), as it will run ALL the software you use today.

Here's the $64USD question - can the Surface Pro 3 run Crysis 3 - at the native resolution of the display - with decent performance?

If the Pro 3 can do that, it is decidedly a notebook killer.

It isn't yet a good replacement for my laptop either. But for some it will be I am sure...

Also, my laptop gets about 15 hours of battery life... Not poor enough for me to be bothered. The Surface Pro 3 is a lot lighter though.

But this was exactly the point of my original post. That Microsoft is gunning to kill the PC OEM now entirely. Previously, they were arguably in the tablet space only and leaving the PC OEMs to have what they have always had. Microsoft now wants to entire ecosystem. With a tablet (Surface RT), quasi-tablet (Surface Pro 2), and a laptop replacement (Surface Pro 3) spanning the entire product portfolio.

Microsoft wants to be Apple as both the hardware maker and the software maker for the lions-share of their market. I wonder what this means for the ecosystem...

Hopefully for MS this doesn't turn into a story similar to Windows Mobile. Where they bring it in-house and the market runs away from them in the process.

25% better battery,so it should be good for 10+ hours.

You might get that as I get just over 8 with SP2, official spec sheet though reads "up to 9 hours of web browsing"

That Microsoft is gunning to kill the PC OEM now entirely.

Don't see how as it doesn't 100% cover the OEM ecosystem. I still prefer my ginormous desktop for gaming and other "serious" things (not going to lug around three monitors with a tablet) and obviously not going to run a server on a tablet. It'll be gunning for both the tablet and laptop market, sure, no argument there as this thing is both in one small package.

There's a break?

not sure. the way engadget ended it made it sound like it. i could be wrong though judging by other peoples reactions :(

There is no break, its over. There is no Surface Mini.

that sucks. i wasn't planning on getting one but i was still interested :(

It isn't yet a good replacement for my laptop either. But for some it will be I am sure...

Also, my laptop gets about 15 hours of battery life... Not poor enough for me to be bothered. The Surface Pro 3 is a lot lighter though.

But this was exactly the point of my original post. That Microsoft is gunning to kill the PC OEM now entirely. Previously, they were arguably in the tablet space only and leaving the PC OEMs to have what they have always had. Microsoft now wants to entire ecosystem. With a tablet (Surface RT), quasi-tablet (Surface Pro 2), and a laptop replacement (Surface Pro 3) spanning the entire product portfolio.

Microsoft wants to be Apple as both the hardware maker and the software maker for the lions-share of their market. I wonder what this means for the ecosystem...

Hopefully for MS this doesn't turn into a story similar to Windows Mobile. Where they bring it in-house and the market runs away from them in the process.

If OEM's get destroyed by Surface (which I doubt given the price points), they have only themselves to blame. OEMs have also launched Android/ChromeOS tablets and PCs meanwhile, not like Microsoft is betraying loyal partners or anything.

I would have been interested in a mini too, not necessarily to buy but just seeing the full range become available BUT if it takes them 3 months from launch to general availability for 1 product im glad theres no mini

Looks like the new pen no longer docks with the tablet itself...hrmm with a screen of this size and now since the only holster for the pen is on the typecover (loop) im inclined to agree with those who have said MS should just bundle the covers as they are integral to the use and experience of the device.

edit: yep confirmed by Brad.

The OEMs feel threatened because they are NOT doing all that they can with the design.

The Surface Pro is the evolution of the laptop - the Pro 2 and Pro 3 are further evolutions of the Pro.

Compare even Toshiba notebooks, Dell notebooks, and HP notebooks to the MacBook Pro/Air.  Which is the better design?  (Hardware - not OS.)

While the Surface Pro 3 - like the original Surface Pro - is a superset of the tablet, the selfsame Pro 3 has ALL the capabilities of the traditional notebook (in the case of the Surface Pro 3, it exceeds the capabilities of most notebooks).  It is no-compromise brought to the notebook price point, and it is NOT from Apple.

The darn thing is thinner than the current Retina iPad - let alone the MacBook.

A taller resolution than either as well - and that is despite the mere one foot of screen size.  (Bigger than the iPad, but smaller than a typical notebook.)

Microsoft is reinventing the notebook because it has to - the OEMs aren't doing it, are they?

UPDATES:

Oh, snap - Adobe is showing the advantage of "work how you want" with Photoshop CC.  You aren't limited.  You CAN stick to traditional - however, you don't have to.

So much for cages.  (Doubtless this is scaring traditionalists - and OEMs - silly.  Why should it scare them?  You can still work the same way you always have.  I can see the OEMs being scared - it raises the bar, and big-time.  Of course it does - that is what Microsoft's hardware has ALWAYS done.  However, has Logitech thrown in the towel?  Why should OEMs be scared of competition, even from Microsoft?  Is Toshiba scared of Dell - or HP - or even Apple?  It's just competition - there is absolutely no reason for the OEMs to be scared of Microsoft as an OEM than there is for them to be scared of Apple - or Razer - or Toshiba.)

Surface Pro 3 is the HARDWARE equivalent of ModernUI.  Work how you want to work.  (Instead of us having to adapt to the hardware, we NOW have a notebook that can adapt to us.  Why is that a bad thing?)

I feel somewhat conflicted on whether to upgrade.  I'm still rocking the Surface Pro First Gen without issue.  I'd be more inclined to get the i7 with 8gb, but its not available at launch.  That's a shame.

Welp, anyone in the market for a Surface Pro 1?  It'll be available soon ;)

Did anyone else feel that Ms dropped certain hints that RT is dead? I have a feeling that there was a Surface Mini running RT but Ms decided to get rid of it and instead take all cool Note taking features and put it on Surface Pro 3.

I wish Ms also announced LTE Surface Pro 3.

What Microsoft really showed today is that one they aren't messing around anymore, the Surface is a means to inspire the OEMS to not be making #### anymore. Microsoft showed that there is still innovation to be made in the market, that OEMs need to stop designing gimmicks and innovate. And when I say innovate, as they said in the keynote, its the small things that matter. I really hope the OEM's see this and start designing awesome new hybrids, many won't, many will just switch to Android or Chromebook, I say thats an easy cop out. I'm really like this new Microsoft

Also I wonder now whats going to happen with Nokia's tablets with the acquisition complete now. I see at this point the Lumia devices being the phone/phablet/mini tablet line running WP. Surface being the full hyrbid running Windows 8 full

I think you're right.  Windows RT will be "rolled" into Windows Phone (Tablet Edition?) vs. the full Windows 8.

What Microsoft really showed today is that one they aren't messing around anymore, the Surface is a means to inspire the OEMS to not be making #### anymore. Microsoft showed that there is still innovation to be made in the market, that OEMs need to stop designing gimmicks and innovate. And when I say innovate, as they said in the keynote, its the small things that matter. I really hope the OEM's see this and start designing awesome new hybrids, many won't, many will just switch to Android or Chromebook, I say thats an easy cop out. I'm really like this new Microsoft

Also I wonder now whats going to happen with Nokia's tablets with the acquisition complete now. I see at this point the Lumia devices being the phone/phablet/mini tablet line running WP. Surface being the full hyrbid running Windows 8 full

OEMs aren't being told to innovate. OEMs are being shown that MS considers them obsolete and that they plan on shutting them out of the market; if they can.

Will definitely be an interesting next few years as I agree with you that MS said they are basically serious and rolled up their sleeves.

Little things I've found on the Microsoft website about the Surface Pro 3 (its fact sheet detailed this).

Wireless AC Support (did the Surface Pro 2 have this?)

5MP 1080p for both Front and Rear Cameras.

i5 Processor is the i5-4300U (1.6Ghz up to 2.90Ghz Turbo Boost)

Intel HD Graphics 4400 Video (No Change from Surface Pro 2, disappointment if you ask me), But I hear its still the most power efficient video for mobile Intel.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/download/presskits/surface/docs/Surface3ProFS.docx