Photo

Do you PC game on the big screen?

pc gaming consoles 8th gen

29 replies to this topic

#1 ReptileX

ReptileX

Neowinian

Posted 21 May 2014 - 19:04

I'm wondering about PC gaming on the big screen, if you guys hook up a controller and just lounge on the couch as you would a console. I also want to know if anyone has recently started preferring PC gaming over consoles.

#2 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 21 May 2014 - 19:07

Ya, I have my gaming PC hooked up to my 70 inch Vizio!

#3 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 21 May 2014 - 19:11

Yep, I have a system hooked up to the "main" TV, although it's not just for gaming. Usually do most of my gaming on a system in my office, but once in a while it's nice to kick back and play on a 70" TV.

As far as preference goes, I've been mainly a PC gamer since the 90's, last console I bought for myself was a Sega Genesis. I've picked up later consoles, either for my daughter (Wii, DS and 3DS) or re-purposed, for example a couple of original XBox's to run XBMC (never bought any games for it), that was before it got replaced by Plex and a central DVR system. Zero interest in any of the "next gen" consoles.

#4 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• Phone: Nexus 5 PA 4.4.2 / iPhone 5

Posted 21 May 2014 - 19:12

I plan to with steam os coming out. What really makes me happy is someone finally made a controller that works for PC. I'm excited to try the steam controller

#5 Lee Pigdon

Lee Pigdon

Neowinian

Posted 21 May 2014 - 19:12

I'm wondering about PC gaming on the big screen, if you guys hook up a controller and just lounge on the couch as you would a console. I also want to know if anyone has recently started preferring PC gaming over consoles.

Currently getting back in to PC gaming. Building one now. And i would defo be playing at a desk in a comfy chair with a screen no bigger than 27". Would love to see a 3 monitor setup of 50" monitors lol. Total overkill.

#6 OP ReptileX

ReptileX

Neowinian

Posted 21 May 2014 - 19:14

I plan to with steam os coming out. What really makes me happy is someone finally made a controller that works for PC. I'm excited to try the steam controller

I haven't delved too much into the steam controller or the steam os. But what makes it so different besides not having to start big picture without a mouse and keyboard?

#7 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

I don't understand why anybody would take a TV over a monitor unless you're playing FIFA.

#8 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: LG G3

No reason you cannot do this if you have the room, and it is awesome if you do, especially if you have a PC capable of a decent resolution, you are going to experience actual 1080p with a good frame rate as well (meaning compared to a console).

I have a massive case for my Gaming PC so my wife is just not having it set up in our TV room, but I have lugged it downstairs and hooked it up on several occasions, and the difference in visuals is VAST.

Crysis 3 on the consoles and on the PC's was one of the best examples of the differences. Battlefield 3 as well.

I have not hooked up my PC to my TV in quite some time, but I am pretty damn positive next PC I do build is going to have as small of a case as possible just so I can hook it up to my TV more.

#9 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 21 May 2014 - 19:18

I do it more and more.

Of course i still play games like Xcom, Fallen enchantress, Shadowrun, Dragon Age, Dota, online fps and such on my monitor but i mostly play games like Tomb Raider and AC on my TV using a 360 controller.

#10 OP ReptileX

ReptileX

Neowinian

Posted 21 May 2014 - 19:24

I am personally waiting for 4K TVs to get equipped with HDMI 2.0 to push 60fps in 4K. Nvidia's Maxwell seems like it will be the first generation of cards to bring 4K gaming within reasonable price ranges. I would get like this 65-70" 4K set, mount it above my wall and have a new desk just siting underneath it with a nice chair and ottoman to kick back and play highly detailed games on.

Almost brings a tear to my eye, it'll be magical but not in the way Apple would have intended.

#11 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 21 May 2014 - 19:26

I have my PC hooked up to a 42" 1080p display and use a wireless X360 controller for casual gaming, as well as watching TV shows and movies. Steam's Big Picture mode handles the switching of the default monitor, so there's no need to mess about with changing the primary display. Most proper gaming I do on a 30" 2560x1600 display and I use mouse and keyboard. When the Oculus Rift comes out I'll almost certainly pick one up and I'll go 4K when it's practical.

Console gaming just doesn't compare.

#12 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 21 May 2014 - 19:27

Big is only relative to how close you sit.

As far as lounging, absolutely.  Learn2Steam In-Home.

My main issue is still that Win8 doesn't share Metro with Xbone or its controls.

#13 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 21 May 2014 - 19:40

Yuck, the pixel spacing is horrible on a LED/LCD/Plasma TV vs a large monitor, but whatever floats your boat.

#14 a1ien

a1ien

Neowinian

Posted 21 May 2014 - 19:49

I game on a 30" display with 2560x1600 resolution... but I guess by your standards I don't play PC games on the big screen.

#15 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 21 May 2014 - 19:49

I have a HDMI over Ethernet adapter which primarily gets used by my Media server, however I do like to use my laptop via Steam Big Picture mode to play on the TV (Toshiba 42" REGZA thing @ 1080p) with an Xbox 360 control pad:

• Batman Arkham series
  • DeathSpank series
  • Skyrim
  • NFS series
  • Orcs Must Die! series
  • Overlord series
  • Transformers WFC

If the game doesn't have proper controller support or uses Uplay (Yeah, thanks for that Ubisoft), I don't play it on the TV.

I also have my Raspberry Pi with RetroPie which serves as a much better/cheaper way to enjoy all my cartridge games over HDMI rather than buying expensive per system signal conversion up-scalers.