Front page comment likes and dislikes that counteract each other

I was recently reading a news article on the front page where someone's comment got 8 likes. I thought I'm sure there would have been a lot more dislikes than 8 likes.  So I thought wouldn't it be neat if you could also dislike a post.

Lets say I were to say something in a comment and get 7 likes. But I also got 8 dislikes. That would then put my comment at a -1 likes :D

I think it would be fun! But only on the front page, as I don't think they are added to your overall likes count anyway.

• Like 1

I was recently reading a news article on the front page where someone's comment got 8 likes. I thought I'm sure there would have been a lot more dislikes than 8 likes.  So I thought wouldn't it be neat if you could also dislike a post.

Lets say I were to say something in a comment and get 7 likes. But I also got 8 dislikes. That would then put me at a -1 likes :D

I think it would be fun! But only on the front page, as I don't think they are added to your overall likes count anyway.

It would ultimately turn the comments into Reddit style, which I prefer. If the default sort would drop (or hide) heavily downvoted comments it would enable some wider community moderation and, ideally, encourage good comments.

I was recently reading a news article on the front page where someone's comment got 8 likes. I thought I'm sure there would have been a lot more dislikes than 8 likes. So I thought wouldn't it be neat if you could also dislike a post.

People would abuse dislikes. The comment system is already abused. Wouldn't be accurate and people would dislike of a positive comment is made towards something they don't like. Like the big 3...Apple, MS, or Google.

I don't like that system.

It's the same system that arstechnica uses and it's not always about quality of posts but popular opinion. I all too often see posts being hidden due to high dislikes and the post itself was of merit, just unpopular.

Also, at a psychological level, people don't like being disliked. It's much easier to deal with getting no likes than it is to get dislikes. It's the primary reason I hardly ever post on ars, and I would imagine many people feel the same way. I don't really get disliked much, but when I do, it bothers me. And you can't even ask why you were down-voted because that gets down-voted.

Overall, I don't like it. Not one bit.

• Like 2

I think the problem is people care to much what other people think of them on the interwebs. The way I see it i'm ether getting likes or dislikes ether, way i'm getting something, in fact if what I said upset them so much they went out of their way to click dislike! Amazing!

I don't like that system.

It's the same system that arstechnica uses and it's not always about quality of posts but popular opinion. I all too often see posts being hidden due to high dislikes and the post itself was of merit, just unpopular.

Also, at a psychological level, people don't like being disliked. It's much easier to deal with getting no likes than it is to get dislikes. It's the primary reason I hardly ever post on ars, and I would imagine many people feel the same way. I don't really get disliked much, but when I do, it bothers me. And you can't even ask why you were down-voted because that gets down-voted.

Overall, I don't like it. Not one bit.

I would like to down-vote/dislike your post. Nothing personal, I just don't feel the same way as you, about this particular subject.

The fact that I don't have that option, bugs me.

• Like 2

I would like to down-vote/dislike your post. Nothing personal, I just don't feel the same way as you, about this particular subject.

Sure, if you don't like something you just don't click like, but just the likes are shown. So it still feels very one sided.

That is you, many will abuse it out of spite.  Only way this would work is if it was made public who liked/disliked what on the front page.  Currently, it is not so and you are only shown in the forums.

That is you, many will abuse it out of spite.  Only way this would work is if it was made public who liked/disliked what on the front page.  Currently, it is not so and you are only shown in the forums.

I'm game for public likes / dislikes. Though for some reason when ever I make my polls public people get annoyed. :laugh:

I agree the votes should be public.

I'm game for public likes / dislikes. Though for some reason when ever I make my polls public people get annoyed. :laugh:

I agree the votes should be public.

Public votes would just put a face to who abuses the system, and who isnt.

If you don't agree with a comment, why not just discuss it rather than look for a button that conveys disagreement but no rationale for why?

If you agree with a comment, why not just discuss it rather than look for a button that conveys agreement but no rationale for why?

If it's going to happen (which I'm still against) I would much prefer the dislikes to be public. They may limit people down-voting people just because they don't like them (as a person).

• Like 3

If you agree with a comment, why not just discuss it rather than look for a button that conveys agreement but no rationale for why?

Maybe because there is less of a need to explain why you agree with somebody.

If you disagree, it makes sense to explain why you do

Well, normally if you agree with a comment...there isnt much to discuss.  If you dislike or disagree with a comment, then you tend to have your own thoughts and voice your own reason why.

Maybe because there is less of a need to explain why you agree with somebody.

If you disagree, it makes sense to explain why you do

At the same time, I don't want to go into explaining why I disagree I just want to click "disagree"

If you don't agree with a comment, why not just discuss it rather than look for a button that conveys disagreement but no rationale for why?

Same goes for the "please click here to stroke my ego" "Like" button, no?

Public votes would just put a face to who abuses the system, and who isnt.

That is no bad thing.

At the same time, I don't want to go into explaining why I disagree I just want to click "disagree"

So it sounds as if you would rather not do anything, except click buttons.

Technically in some situations a dislike button can act as "I agree" ...

Like on facebook..

If someone says "my cat just got ran over by a car" .. there will be a hand full of idiots that click like

at the same time I wish there was a "Dislike"

Lazy  :laugh:

Lazy  :laugh:

in some situation the topic has been beaten do death like a dead horse, where there is nothing more to say other than just clicking dislike.

I would give an example, but it seems when ever I mention a certain persons name my post always disappear like Jimmy Hoffa