Teaching Creationism As Science Now Banned In All UK Public Schools

Teaching Creationism As Science Now Banned In All UK Public Schools

In what's being heralded as a secular triumph, the UK government has banned the teaching of creationism as science in all existing and future academies and free schools.

The new clauses, which arrived with very little fanfare last week, state that the...

...requirement for every academy and free school to provide a broad and balanced curriculum in any case prevents the teaching of creationism as evidence based theory in any academy or free school.

So, if an academy or free school teaches creationism as scientifically valid, it's breaking the funding agreement to provide a "broad and balanced curriculum."

In the UK, state-funded academies are basically equivalent to charter schools in the United States, and are primarily comprised of high schools. Free schools, which were introduced in 2010, are non-profit making, independent, state-funded schools which are not controlled by a local authority, but are subject to the School Admissions Code. Free schools make it possible for parents, teachers, charities, and business to set up their own schools.

In addition to the new clauses, the UK government clarified the meaning of creationism, reminding everyone that it's a minority view even within the Church of England and the Catholic Church.

Back in 2012, the UK government banned all future free schools from teaching creationism as science, requiring them to teach natural selection. At the time, however, it didn't extend those requirement to academies, nor did the changes apply to existing free schools. The new verbiage changes this, precluding all public-funded schools ? present or future ? from teaching creationism as evidence-based theory.

The new church academies clauses require that "pupils are taught about the theory of evolution, and prevent academy trusts from teaching 'creationism' as scientific fact." And by "creationism" they mean:

[A]ny doctrine or theory which holds that natural biological processes cannot account for the history, diversity, and complexity of life on earth and therefore rejects the scientific theory of evolution. The parties acknowledge that creationism, in this sense, is rejected by most mainstream churches and religious traditions, including the major providers of state funded schools such as the [Anglican] [Catholic] Churches, as well as the scientific community. It does not accord with the scientific consensus or the very large body of established scientific evidence; nor does it accurately and consistently employ the scientific method, and as such it should not be presented to pupils at the Academy as a scientific theory.

And in regards to protecting religious beliefs, the clauses acknowledge that the funding agreement does...

...not prevent discussion of beliefs about the origins of the Earth and living things, such as creationism, in Religious Education, as long as it is not presented as a valid alternative to established scientific theory.

Seems fair and reasonable to me.

The British Humanist Association, which has been advocating for the change since 2011 via its "Teach Evolution, Not Creationism" campaign, is celebrating the move.

"[We] believe that... the objectives of the campaign are largely met," noted BHA Head of Public Affairs Pavan Dhaliwal in a statement. "We congratulate the Government on its robust stance on this issue." He added: "However, there are other ongoing areas of concern, for example the large number of state financed creationist nurseries, or the inadequate inspection of private creationist schools, and continued vigilance is needed in the state-funded sector. We will continue to work for reform in the remaining areas, but are pleased that the vast majority of issues are now dealt with."

This move by the UK government stands in stark contrast to what's happening in the United States. In Missouri, for example, a proposed bill would require schools to "alert" parents when evolution is taught.

Source: io9

Bravo. I applaud this move.

Agreed. Creationism isn't science, end of. You can't even teach it like any of the sciences, its teaching is completely different. Put it in to religious studies where it follows the same train of thought. (Y)

Creationism is for Alpha courses only IMHO, for those who want to send their children to a school where they're separated by cubicles and taught (told) from a very young age that the world is only a few thousand years old. Jeremy Vine had a discussion on Radio 2 about these "curriculums" a few weeks ago, was an interesting listen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Christian_Education

The worrying thing is that Ofsted mark the vast majority of these ACE-curriculum schools as exceptional.

Excellent, and about time!

Creationism might be OK to teach about in religious class, but it has ZERO place in a science class, and never will.

I always used to skip the RE class in secondary school, mostly because the teacher was a joke. Add to that I'm atheist; or may have been agnostic at the time...

I always used to skip the RE class in secondary school, mostly because the teacher was a joke. Add to that I'm atheist; or may have been agnostic at the time...

I am an atheist too but that doesn't stop you learning about and appreciating other cultures. Even if your not interested in that - it does't hurt to know your enemy   :D

• Like 1

Late in his life, Charles Darwin stated the theory of evolution was debatable even by himself. I 100% agree with him. I believe a supernatural force created the world initially, and it?s something we will never fully understand.

Tell me 'the world started with the big bang'. I?ll respond 'but where did the matter that was required for that to happen come from?'.

God is the supernatural force I am referring to above. <deleted>

Another thought I have: could evolution actually create animals and nature of such great beauty? And another: why are there still monkeys around today, living in the same time frame as humans?

Finally, what do Muslims think about evolution/creationism?

Oh they are afraid that people shouldn't know the truth, what will happen to their jobs then? Nonetheless, they can't hide the truth of Creationism by banning it.

And what happened to freedom of speech?

Late in his life, Charles Darwin stated the theory of evolution was debatable even by himself. I 100% agree with him. I believe a supernatural force created the world initially, and it?s something we will never understand.

Tell me 'the world started with the big bang'. I?ll respond 'but where did the matter that was required for that to happen come from?'.

God is the supernatural force I am referring to above. None of us will understand until we see the truth, and none of us will (physically) in this lifetime.

Another thought I have: could evolution actually create animals and nature of such great beauty? And another: why are there still monkeys around today, living in the same time frame as humans?

Classic, so you want absolute proof of any scientific claims but you can just say your claim can't be understood and needs no proof.

• Like 2

Oh they are afraid that people shouldn't know the truth, what will happen to their jobs then? Nonetheless, they can't hide the truth of Creationism by banning it.

Doesn't come under freedom of speech as its not being banned - it not allowed to be taught as a science (Which its  not) nothing stopping them teaching it in Religious Education classes though.

What's you're view on evolution/creationism?

Late in his life, Charles Darwin stated the theory of evolution was debatable even by himself. I 100% agree with him. I believe a supernatural force created the world initially, and it?s something we will never understand.

God is the supernatural force I am referring to above. None of us will understand until we see the truth, and none of us will (physically) in this lifetime.

Posts like this are an embarrassment to other christians, I have to ask are you a poe ?

Late in his life, Charles Darwin stated the theory of evolution was debatable even by himself. I 100% agree with him. I believe a supernatural force created the world initially, and 

Evolution was never a science, it was, is and will always be a theory that has already been defeated. This Universe and everything in it is created and is being continuously monitored by Almighty God.

Posts like this are an embarrassment to other christians, I have to ask are you a poe ?

Christianity has many branches. I see God through his creation. I guess I was wrong to say 'none of us will understand until we see the truth...'. Yes, ridiculous statement. Let me edit that...

Don't know what a 'poe' is.

Evolution was never a science, it was, is and will always be a theory that has already been defeated. This Universe and everything in it is created and is being continuously monitored by Almighty God.

I agree! Well said. I'm glad many Islamic religions aren't afraid to share their views, and hope they can steer the English atheist majority away from self-destruction social problems which may arise (due to little/no regulations being put in place).

I agree! Well said. I'm glad many Islamic religions aren't afraid to share their views, and hope they can steer the English atheist majority away from self-destruction social problems which may arise without any regulations in place.

Yes and other thing is that they will never accept creationism because they have their jobs in stake, they know if the accept a God, they will have to tell people truth and thus they keep making people fool by providing fake researches and fake evidences of evolution. They know if they accept God, they will have to obey the religion which they do not want people to do.

And the fact is that they cannot even make a single fly on their own and claim that this Universe and all the magnificent glory in it is created by chance? How idiotic!

I agree! Well said. I'm glad many Islamic religions aren't afraid to share their views, and hope they can steer the English atheist majority away from self-destruction social problems which may arise (due to little/no regulations being put in place).

Are you saying regulations should be put in place against Atheists?

Yes and other thing is that they will never accept creationism because they have their jobs in stake, they know if the accept a God, they will have to tell people truth and thus they keep making people fool by providing fake researches and fake evidences of evolution. They know if they accept God, they will have to obey the religion which they do not want people to do.

And the fact is that they cannot even make a single fly on their own and claim that this Universe and all the magnificent glory in it is created by chance? How idiotic!

You're being quite offensive and intolerant. 

• Like 2

You don't understand the meaning of 'theory' in a scientific sense, it means 'fact'. For example the earth orbits the sun but we refer to it as 'the theory of gravity', and we all know gravity is a fact and isn't a 'theory' in the non-scientific sense.

Are you saying regulations should be put in place against Atheists?

You're being quite offensive and intolerant. 

'Are you saying regulations should be put in place against Atheists?'

No, but regulations should be put on modern media (compare TV now to 20 years ago, and what a modern child will grow up seeing for instance).

'You're being quite offensive and intolerant.'

Easy on the pedal - everyone's allowed to share their own views.

Truth hurts.

It's your opinion of truth which hurts; it's a hard pill to swallow. You're very matter-of-fact in what you say.

ALSO, please be respectful of others opinions, you may strongly disagree but remember it is not your job to judge nor critise those for those belief's/opinions.

• Like 1