microsoft visual studio internet explorer 10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Krome

Krome

Neowinian God!

Posted 19 June 2014 - 19:55

Hi guys,

Just thought this might be something someone may have some input on.  I attempt to install Visual Studio and Microsoft wants Internet Explorer 10 to work.  Why must Microsoft go all out to create everything for IE only.  What do you guys think of this?

I just think they doing rope jumping on this one.  Here's the picture.  Let me know what you think.

RopeJumpTrick.PNG

Visual Studio 2013: Known issues when IE10 is not installed

#2 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 19 June 2014 - 19:58

It's not required and you're not being forced to install it, hence the warning that lets you skip it. Just be aware that certain things may not work as expected as they use bits of IE10 to render.
http://support.micro...b/2906882/en-us

#3 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 19 June 2014 - 19:59

Which version of IE do you have installed?

#4 OP Krome

Krome

Neowinian God!

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:01

IE10 :)

Max Norris:  I was editting the post to include that link you provide and after I did that, I saw your post with same link :)  But yeah I hope Visual Studio works ok without the IE10

#5 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:03

You know... there is one big reason why they want IE10... it's because Visual Studio does use MSHTML.dll for some stuff, and they want it on a specific version

#6 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:03

What are they doing wrong? A newer version of Visual Studio working with a newer version of IE... Not sure I see the problem. IE 11 isn't a requirement.

#7 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:04

Hi guys,

Just thought this might be something someone may have some input on.  I attempt to install Visual Studio and Microsoft wants Internet Explorer 10 to work.  Why must Microsoft go all out to create everything for IE only.  What do you guys think of this?

I just think they doing rope jumping on this one.  Here's the picture.  Let me know what you think.

attachicon.gifRopeJumpTrick.PNG

Visual Studio 2013: Known issues when IE10 is not installed

It's not a big deal. Some features might not work but there shouldn't be any showstoppers. SQL Server warns you if IIS isn't installed because avcouple of features require it but it's never caused me a problem.

The warning is useful because it tells you about an issue up front.

#8 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:11

What do you guys think of this?

I think since you can't get rid of IE from a Windows machine anyway, you might as well keep your version up to date, even if you don't actually use it.

I really don't see why anyone would make a fuss over this.

#9 OP Krome

Krome

Neowinian God!

Posted 19 June 2014 - 20:12

It's not a big deal. Some features might not work but there shouldn't be any showstoppers. SQL Server warns you if IIS isn't installed because avcouple of features require it but it's never caused me a problem.

The warning is useful because it tells you about an issue up front.

Oh ok... I guess that is a good thing...

neufuse:  Thanks... I will remember that... I'll make sure to ask you questions when I run into problems with VS... You seem to know your VS.

Dot Matrix:  dunno... I thought they just pulling some trick up their sleeves... just my naive view of things I guess...