office office365 exchange owa outlook cloud

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 jordanspringer

jordanspringer

Springster

• 841 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 18:33

I manage a few companies that use Microsoft Office 365 Exchange Online for business grade email services.

Today, the majority of my clients have been down in the middle of the work day for more than 4 hours. The only update we've received from Microsoft is that they're working on it.

Anyone else with Exchange issues?

Zdnet has an article on it

There should be a front page article on Neowin to bring this to the publics attention to force MS to issue a refund like they have before when they can't reach their 99.9% uptime guarantee.

#2 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,840 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 June 2014 - 18:40

Well technically 4hrs out of a year isn't bad :p

However, i'm not down so it must just be the tenant you are using... there are however also some issues with the system though......

Office365.png

#3 OP jordanspringer

jordanspringer

Springster

• 841 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 18:43

Yes it appears you're on a functioning server. The incident affecting Exchange services is EX7211. It's been on going for almost 5.5 hours actually. Right in the middle of the work day!

"Current Status: Microsoft has identified an issue in which a portion of capacity responsible for facilitating connectivity to the Exchange Online service has entered into a degraded state. Engineers are actively working on a solution to remediate impact.

Current Status: Engineers are continuing to investigate the underlying root cause of degradation to the portion of capacity responsible for facilitating connection requests to the Exchange Online Service."

There is no ETA.

#4 OP jordanspringer

jordanspringer

Springster

• 841 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 18:46

This has been affecting most of my users including myself. News outlets are starting to talk about this, I think Neowin should post a front page article too.

News articles talking about this:

https://news.google....ved=0CBwQqgIwAA

#5 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,807 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 24 June 2014 - 18:54

This will always be a risk of the cloud and relying on a third-party, regardless of who that is. We will be enhancing our on-premises resources with Office 365, not using them as primary, and this is a big reason why.

#6 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,526 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 19:23

Did you really need two posts about this?

#7 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• 16,315 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 24 June 2014 - 19:27

[Threads merged and moved]

#8 OP jordanspringer

jordanspringer

Springster

• 841 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 19:35

Did you really need two posts about this?

I created a second post in a different thread because I wanted this to be in the news section, instead of technical support.

#9 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• 4,399 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 24 June 2014 - 19:35

You should be able to contact MS about refunds if the uptime isn't met.  That's always been the case AFAIK.

#10 OP jordanspringer

jordanspringer

Springster

• 841 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 19:42

You should be able to contact MS about refunds if the uptime isn't met.  That's always been the case AFAIK.

In the past, when the downtime has been severe, with many media outlets talking about it, Microsoft has offered credits automatically. This is because they financially back their 99.9% uptime guarantee. My intention was to spread the news to get more people talking about this, in hopes of something similar. Once the service is restored and if no credit is issued automatically, I will speak to them.

#11 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,807 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760

Posted 24 June 2014 - 19:44

Or whoever replaces you can request the refund if you're the person who moved critical business communications to the cloud. lol. j/k j/k.

#12 Harrison H.

Harrison H.

Neowinian

• 580 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 24 June 2014 - 19:51

Or whoever replaces you can request the refund if you're the person who moved critical business communications to the cloud. lol. j/k j/k.

I really don't understand the stigma that cloud services have, especially larger ones such as Azure/Office 365, and Amazon. It's not like on premise servers never have downtime either. ###### happens.

Edit: I should say that my company is affected by this downtime. Life will go on though.

Edited by Harrison H., 24 June 2014 - 19:53.

#13 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• 3,750 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5 PA 4.4.2 / iPhone 5

Posted 24 June 2014 - 19:54

I really don't understand the stigma that cloud services have, especially larger ones such as Azure/Office 365, and Amazon. It's not like on premise servers never have downtime either. ###### happens.

You have control over on premise and you know what happened. On premise servers also have less downtime (in a sense) because you are responsible and know what you are doing. Who knows if this downtime was because of a silent push that wasn't suppose to cripple the systems but it did?

Hardware Failures usually never take this long. Hardware failures are probably the easiest to fix especially in a data center since you build it to be replaceable. All storage is NAS so if a server goes down you slap a new one in boot it up and it gets provisioned. Where as if a software push goes bad, then your rolling back and that takes forever.

#14 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,807 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 19:56

IME, it's primarily due to Internet Connectivity and not the provider as much. To the enterprise it doesn't matter.

Most on-premises in 24/7 operations don't have 4 hour outages for Email or phone systems (Lync). The threat of losing one's job prevents it. 4 hours in a year isn't that much, but a 4 hour outage is more than enough to be somewhat catastrophic depending on the organization.

The fact that the entity is not in "control" and can't simply make a phone call and say get it back up in an hour or you'll be looking for a job tomorrow is just not enough control for most whose livelihood relies on uptime. Being down 1 hour every quarter may be better than a single 4 hour outage in a year depending on the effect is has on your business.

The cloud definitely has value, but it is not a blanket solution. Much thought has to go into what is viable for "your" organization to move to the cloud.

#15 shockz

shockz

Neowinian Senior

• 19,619 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 24 June 2014 - 19:56

Was wondering why my Outlook was taking forever to start and then sat on connecting.