Shovel Knight just came out today.
It is a retro inspired platforming game in the vein of Mega Man, Castlevania, Super Mario 3, and a bunch of other classic SNES games.
It is currently on PC, WiiU and the 3DS.
YouTube Release Trailer
Developer: Yacht Club Games; Based in Valencia, California
Release Date: June 26th, 2014 (Windows/Steam/3DS/Wii U), OSX and Linux TBD
DLC Content: free updates (date TBD): battle mode, challenge mode, gender swap, and playable bosses
Price: USD 14.99
Availability: Digital Download on Wii U/3Ds eShop, Humble Store, Steam
ESRB: E for everyone, USK 6+, PEGI 7
File Size: ~150MB: 123 MB PC Installer, 1,213 blocks 3DS, 170 MB WiiU
Description: Fact sheet and Description in Word Doc format
- Handcrafted pumped-up 8 bit style. A labor of love!
- Shovel Knight’s beautifully authentic style bridges the gap between yesterday and today. Design, art, and audio hearken back to the days of 8-bit.
- The tech of today also give Shovel Knight modern touches: detailed animation, multilayered parallax backgrounds, and evolved game design.
- Amazing soundtrack from Jake Kaufman and Manami Matsumae, best known for scoring the original Mega Man.
- Crazy bosses and lovable characters showcase a light touch to narrative with humor and levity.
- Balanced gameplay is a warm welcome to newcomers, and an old embrace for experts.
- Flip enemies! Leap over gaps! Duel with foes! Dig up treasure! Find secrets!
- Upgrade! Shovel Knight is simple to learn and play, but challenge lies everywhere.
- Perfect your platforming skills as you take down each of the Knights of the Order of No Quarter.
- Collect Relics and upgrades to enhance your shoveling skills!
- Overworld Map allows your quest unfold in a unique order!
- Retell the adventure and uncover all of the world’s secrets with New Game+!
- Lots of options, including bindable controls!
- Miiverse support through the Digger’s Diary - read in-game messages from other players or write messages of your own!
- Multiple controller support: Wii U Gamepad, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Remote, Wii Remote + Nunchuck, Wii Classic Controller, and Wii Classic Controller Pro!
- Off-TV Play with the GamePad!
- Quick select Relics and items using the GamePad!
- Eye-popping Stereoscopic 3D display support
- StreetPass Battle Arena – a crazy StreetPass battle game where anything can happen!
- Play Coin support - Trade your coins for gold!
- Quick select Relics and items using the Touch Screen!
- Trading Cards
- Achievement support
- Cloud Saving
- Big Picture
- Support for every controller we can find!
I purchased the WiiU version, and will actually also be purchasing it for my 3DS. It is that enjoyable, and that much of a classic. Great game so far.
If you ever loved, hell if you have ever liked, the games this game is paying homage to, it is a must-play. No doubt about it.
Buy this game now!!!