11 posts in this topic

Posted

Raju cried as he was freed from 50 years of cruelty; he was delivered to freedom to the Elephant Conservation and Care Centre at Mathura, India.

Under the cover of darkness, a team from London-based Wildlife S.O.S rescued an elephant that had been abused for 50 years in India and transported it 350 miles to an elephant sanctuary where it walked free for the first time on July 4th.

Raju, believed to have been poached from his mother as a baby, was beaten and left bleeding from painful spiked leg shackles by an abusive owner who had the elephant beg for handouts and survive by eating plastic and paper for food.

The owner also tore out hair from Raju

1 person likes this

Posted

Well they do have an 11lb brain in comparison to our 3.3 lb brain.

Posted

Emotional. 

Considering Elephants are one of the more smart creatures with incredible memory and long age, I can only imagine what it was like to live like that for 50!!!!    years.

I hope the animal will adapt to new life and enjoy it, and not carry emotional trauma around with it, causing problems.   

Posted

Elephants are usually killed so you could get neat trinkets made from their tusks AFAIK.

Posted

Raju, believed to have been poached from his mother as a baby, was beaten and left bleeding from painful spiked leg shackles by an abusive owner who had the elephant beg for handouts and survive by eating plastic and paper for food.

This owner is a perfect canidate to send on a one-way trip to Mars -- he doesn't deserve to be on Earth.

2 people like this

Posted

This owner is a perfect canidate to send on a one-way trip to Mars -- he doesn't deserve to be on Earth.

Not even that. He should be sent out further than Voyager 1.

Posted

The owner need to suffer the same, no food and chained in a corner for the rest of his miserable life.

5 people like this

Posted

I'm quite surprised to hear that elephants live over 50 years. Now I read they can live up to and beyond 70 years naturally. Wow.

Posted

Honestly, the day the human race is destroyed can't come soon enough... what a vile bunch of creatures we are, supposed to be smartest living being on this planet yet the stuff that we read about every day tells a different story.. i just can't get my head round the way of thinking.. the stuff i'm reading and seeing on a daily basis (animal cruelty, random acts of abuse on children and elderly, etc..) is actually making me fear death less and less because not being on this planet doesn't seem like such a bad thing.

Posted

Honestly, the day the human race is destroyed can't come soon enough... what a vile bunch of creatures we are, supposed to be smartest living being on this planet yet the stuff that we read about every day tells a different story.. i just can't get my head round the way of thinking.. the stuff i'm reading and seeing on a daily basis (animal cruelty, random acts of abuse on children and elderly, etc..) is actually making me fear death less and less because not being on this planet doesn't seem like such a bad thing.

I know that our large brains mean that we are capable of understanding morality (some don't, I know) but I don't think you should point the finger at people. Nature is as cruel as hell. Ants that burrow into the brains of animals and take control of them like zombies, wasps that inject their young into insects which then eat them from the inside-out. Wolf packs that chase big-game until they're too worn out to put up a struggle, before tearing them apart alive... I'm sure that if animals were clever enough to have us in cages, they would. Nature is awful, equally as much as human beings.

1 person likes this

Posted

This is a sad story. Just sad. There's not much more to say. I hope that the elephant is okay, and doesn't end up a bully.