Altius Space Machines (updates)

Jon Goff and his team.at Altius Space Machine run a small shop, but they do a loot of development in electrostatics and related cool stuff.

SEP = Solar Electric Propulsion (ion/plasma space drive)

http://www.altius-space.com

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2014/07/17/indepth-altius-space-machines-contract-awards/#more-52906

An In-depth Look at Recent Altius Space Machines Contract Awards

By Jonathan Goff

President and CEO Altius Space Machines

Part 1 of 2

It has been a while since our last blog post, and those of you have been following the news over the last month may have noticed that Altius has recently been awarded or selected for negotiation on a few significant NASA technology development contracts. These four contracts are:

ISS Launched Cubesat Demonstration of Variable-Drag Magnetoshell Aerocapture - an SBIR Select Phase I that MSNW LLC of Redmond, WA is priming with Altius as subcontractor

Multi-purpose Interplanetary Deployable Aerocapture System (MIDAS) - an SBIR Select Phase I that Altius is priming with MSNW LLC as subcontractor

Kraken Asteroid Boulder Retrieval System - an Asteroid Redirect Mission BAA Phase I that Altius is priming with support from Boston-based Empire Robotics, Dr. Brad Blair of NewSpace Analytics, and the Materials Technology Lab at Lockheed Martin Space Systems in Littleton, CO

Multipurpose SEP Module for ARM and Beyond - an Asteroid Redirect Mission BAA Phase I study where Altius will be supporting an industry team led by ExoTerra Resources of Littleton, CO.

Doug Messier of Parabolic Arc did a great job of sleuthing out what little publicly available information NASA provided on the two SBIR contracts, but the NASA announcement for the Asteroid Redirect Mission award last week provided only a little information about those contracts. To help remedy some head scratching about what this all means, in this and a subsequent blog post Id like to introduce the technologies well be researching in these contracts and provide some of my thoughts of how these potentially tie into the big picture.

Well start with the two SBIR contracts in this post, and discuss the two ARM BAA contracts tomorrow.

>

>

>[details below]