[Virtual PC] "XP Mode" Hibernation Issue

First off - I'll prefix this with an "I'm not a Windows guy" statement, so apologies if anything here seems rather obvious! I'm putting this in the Virtualization forum since I guess its technically a Virtual PC issue.

Due to needing to run a 16 bit application on 64 bit Windows 7 (yeah I know, it's an old app but they still want to use it), I've gone down the XP Mode route on a family members laptop. This works great - clicking the shortcut to the application runs it and - apart from the delay in start up, you wouldn't know it wasn't running native. There's a problem though - XP Mode won't automatically hibernate the VM.

From what I can see, when you close the "XP Mode" application window, the XP virtual machine is supposed to hibernate, however, it doesn't. Which means that until you manually kill it, or shut down the computer, a virtual machine is still running in the background, which won't help battery life. It also introduces a rather annoying 20 second delay at shutdown whilst the VM hibernates.

Does anyone have any suggestions?