• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:00

So I've been using Windows 8.1 pretty much since it was released and am generally a happy customer with it. However there is one persistent and extremely irritating problem and I've got to try and find a way to stop it. 

Being the UK I have the UK keyboard layout set. I have no other keyboard layouts installed. Somehow, something I'm doing periodically causes the region / keyboard layout icon to appear in my system tray and switches me back to US input. If I go into the preferences. If I click into the applet I can see that my keyboard input has been switched to US, however if I click into the settings for it (where you can add/remove regions) I can see that only UK is installed! The only way to remove the US keyboard input is to actually install it, then remove it - then the icon in the system tray disappears and I'm set back on UK input. But only for a few days before it seems to come back again and the whole cycle starts over again.

It's extremely annoying and I can't work out what's causing it. My suspicion (and something I need to try) is my Remote Desktop Client on my MacBook at home that is somehow triggering this to happen. I did remote into my PC over the weekend to investigate a problem in work, and lo, this morning my keyboard region was set to US. 

Has anyone run into this problem? 

#2 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:11

Is your MacBook set to US region?

#3 OP +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:00

Nope. Set to UK. 

I need to remote in tonight to confirm it's what's causing it to occur. Then at least I can narrow down the investigation somewhat! 

The strange thing is, I used to run Windows 7 on this same PC before and regularly used to remote in from that, and I don't recall this problem ever occurring.