UDMA Mode Not Available - Please Help

Guys I have a computer here from a friend that I am installing Windows XP Pro to but the UDMA mode is not being activated for some reason, only PIO Mode. Primary IDE Channel properties indicate the following:

Device 0

Device Type: Auto Detection (this is not available for me to click. It is shaded.)

Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA If Available

Current Transfer Mode: PIO Mode

Device 1

Device Type: Auto Detection (this is availabe for me to click on. Not shaded.)

Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable

SIS Excel 2000 Motherboard

Samsung SV1296D 10.5 Gig HD

Creative BCD 48SB 48X CD ROM

384 PC100 SDRAM

Windows XP Pro

I also went to the System Devices and out of curiosity, I clicked on Direct Memory Access Controller and it says:

No Drivers Are Installed For This Device

PLEASE HELP GUYS! - I will appreciate it a lot. I'm going crazy with my friend's PC.

Thanks

Originally posted by freeza

are you sure the cd rom drive is udma capable?

Yes, but even if the CD ROM wasn't, the HD still had to be in UDMA mode, yet, it is not. It is on PIO Mode! The HD is what I care about.

oh ok so the HD is on device 0

have you tried installing the intel app accelerator (if you have an intel processor

or putting it on a different ide chain

or on a chain by itself (assuming the cd rom is on the same chain as the HD)

Originally posted by freeza

oh ok so the HD is on device 0

have you tried installing the intel app accelerator (if you have an intel processor

or putting it on a different ide chain

or on a chain by itself (assuming the cd rom is on the same chain as the HD)

I have not installed any intel app accelerator. Yes both the HD and CDROM are on their separate IDE channels. They do not share the same.

what kind of ide cable u r using to connect to the hd? in order to be udma 66 compatible, a 80 pin cable should be used instead of a 40 pin. if u r using a 40 pin cable, then u won't be able to use the udma mode in winxp.

Originally posted by linglok

what kind of ide cable u r using to connect to the hd? in order to be udma 66 compatible, a 80 pin cable should be used instead of a 40 pin. if u r using a 40 pin cable, then u won't be able to use the udma mode in winxp.

Well the funny thing about it is that I got rid of XP and installed Windows Me instead and the DMA mode is active on Millenium, yet on XP it refuses to work.

Originally posted by Scorbing

Device 0

Device Type: Auto Detection (this is not available for me to click. It is shaded.)

Current Transfer Mode: PIO Mode

Well, try X-Setup, download it then go to:

- Hardware>Hard Disk>Windows 2000 UDMA/66 and enable it.

X-Setup is great.

set both ide channels to pio mode instead of dma if available then reboot--------->

once rebooted set both channels to dma if available and reboot.

they should both have UDMA Mode now

read this one yesterday on microsoft support site

Originally posted by katalyst

set both ide channels to pio mode instead of dma if available then reboot--------->

once rebooted set both channels to dma if available and reboot.

they should both have UDMA Mode now

read this one yesterday on microsoft support site

Already tried that. Thanks anyway. I checked the SIS web site and it indicates that the IDE driver for the SIS 620 on XP is not available but that Windows XP will use its default driver instead but I am afraid that the default driver it is using only accepts PIO mode so I guess I am gonna have to wait until those idiots at SIS decide to make an IDE driver for XP for that specific motherboard. My friend is going to have to wait and keep using Millenium instead.

Try this..

Uninstall the whole f***king IDE thingy...from the starting from Primary IDE Channel, Secondary IDE Channel finally the IDE Controller (Last one very important)

Then the computer will prompt you to reboot..Reboot and wait for it to reinstall itself..remember reboot immediately after uninstall..DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE e.g. scan plug / play :devious: and..after reboot, it may or may not ask u to reboot for the second time after it has finished setting up the new hardware :right: ..do it and then check in yur device manager again after that and see what gives..;)

You may as well try it and anyways, it will do no harm at all..Let us know what works ok? :D

Originally posted by ericlims

Try this..

Uninstall the whole f***king IDE thingy...from the starting from Primary IDE Channel, Secondary IDE Channel finally the IDE Controller (Last one very important)

Then the computer will prompt you to reboot..Reboot and wait for it to reinstall itself..remember reboot immediately after uninstall..DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE e.g. scan plug / play :devious: and..after reboot, it may or may not ask u to reboot for the second time after it has finished setting up the new hardware :right: ..do it and then check in yur device manager again after that and see what gives..;)

You may as well try it and anyways, it will do no harm at all..Let us know what works ok? :D

Already tried that too!, but thanks for the idea though. I appreciate it a lot. Like I said, the darn thing (XP) just doesn't seem to agree with that particular motherboard and since no IDE drivers are available according to the manufacturer (SIS - Silicon Integrated Systems) then I guess my friend is screwed until they decide to release an IDE driver for XP so that it can use the UDMA mode and not PIO.

I dunno but I'm having a SiS 630 with a Toshiba Hard Disk..It's a laptop..Though it cannot run at UDMA 66 (How I Wish! :devious: )

Still It's running quite comfortably at UDMA Mode 2 for primary and UDMA 2 even for Secondary which is a Ma****a CD-RW Drive..

Oh! I'm running Win XP Pro btw, and have u included the 'Enable UDMA66 tweak at yur registry..??

Anyway, can anyone tell what the heck is UDMA Mode 2? Is it the same as UDMA33 or UDMA66 or maybe something else? Hehe:D

at any rate, I would be glad if there is anyone out there who knows if there are any ways to improve the transfer mode for me..which is a laptop..so dun bother asking for the type of IDE cable coz i dunno..:right:

Thanx.

Originally posted by mtgriffith

Was there a driver for Windows 2000? It might stand a chance of working.

Well, in X-Setup it says:

With DMA enabled on IDE channels, UDMA/66 is still disabled by default in Windows 2000 if you are using an INTEL Board.

So I guess it only works in Windows 2000. But sometimes windows disables "Direct Memory Access" (Why?) so you need something like X-Setup to enable it again.

So, you guys have that blue cable?