How long ago did you last assemble a computer?

145 members have voted

1. 1. How long ago did you last assemble a computer?

• Within the past year.
    • 1-2 years ago
    • 2-3 years ago
    • 3-4 years ago
    • 4-5 years ago
    • 5-6 years ago
    • 6-8 years ago
    • > 8 years ago
    • I buy pre-built desktop computers.
    • I prefer laptops these days.
    • I don't need a computer. Smartphones and/or tablets ftw.

Poll inspired by the current Slashdot poll.

As for myself, the last time I assembled a computer myself was in 2001. These days I've switched to using laptops.

I voted 6-8 years ago.

Not that I totally prefer laptops now a days but out of 9 machines, 4 are laptops and I'm on one of those more often then desktops.

About two weeks ago, build/upgrade them fairly regularly.. clients, family, whatever.  Last pre-built non-mobile system I bought was in the early 90's.. I'll take them from people for parts/test systems and such but typically avoid store-bought systems like the plague.  Will use a laptop or tablet when I'm on the go but still strongly prefer the performance and flexibility of a desktop every time.  

About 2 weeks ago, after buying the cables for the modular PSU. The cables that came with it were crap

It is now complete.

Asus H97M-E, 4 GB ram (for now). Will be adding another 12 GB when I have the money to get it. 250gb Samsung Evo. Using onboard HDMI. May add 2 1 TB 3.5 hdd's later. A 3.1 Ghz G3240 Socket 1150 CPU. A 24x ASUS DVD writer.

And a 500W Silverstone modular PSU

6 - 8 years ago. After that I change my career to networking and never looked back :P

• Like 2

Technically 1-2 years ago as I assembled a friend of mine's PC with his guidance, I doubt I'll do it again as I don't trust myself with the pieces, I'd much rather just buy it, plug it in and use it. *Braces for hate* :P

In between shuffling papers and testing/handling all kinds of almost always broken stuff, I build several of them every day. Mostly easy budget boxes, but every now and then a high-end rig that takes a great deal of time and care appears on my servicing desk, too. The only part of work that I somewhat like, I might add.

As for my own... it'll be 4 years and it's still going (fairly) strong. Put it in a new case 6 months ago. A complete reassembling, cleaning and cable management happened not two months ago. Also added new graphics card to the mix (I'm sad to report it has mostly sat there idling around :().

For me it was 1-2 years ago with my current build. I plan on upgrading again within the next year after the new Intel CPUs are released and the next generation of GPUs are out.

Never - more out of fear than anything else.

I have owned desktops (PCs that is) on and off since about 1995. 3 out of the 4 desktops I have owned have been built by local builders.  My current desktop is a Dell and is 7 years old - I've been through good periods when I haven't owned my own machine at all, and in some cases no computer I have had primary access to.  I also tend to keep my desktops until they are almost completely obsolete or stop working altogether.  My next desktop will likely be a self-build.

I also started buying laptops in 2007, and my upgrade cycle is more frequent - as I'm currently on my 2nd and about to buy my 3rd.

I have had corporate laptops since about 2002.

Within the last year? Is that the lowest time frame you going to use?

Built 1 last week, maybe 4 in the last year.

I built my current PC in 2011 and Home Server in 2013, however I have built PC's for family and friends since then, the latest been earlier this year.

Nothing beats a PC with 24" screen (or larger). I could never use a Laptop / Tablet as my main computer. With stuff like Dropbox today its so easy to sync anything your working on between PC / Laptop without even thinking about it. So if i need to get anything when im out and about on the laptop its easy. If not ssh in to my router and use Wake on Lan to wake my PC up and RDP in to it.

Built my current PC in November, so just under a year ago. I also had to replace the PSU on my PC at work a few months bad, I don't know if that counts :P

I built one for a friend a few years ago. (2010)

If Microsoft puts out a decent version of Windows 9, without rental fees, I may build a new, faster desktop, in the coming year.

... it seems like Windows 9 should drop before September 2015 at the latest.

Building a new machine is a fun little challenge. ;)

For my own computer, last summer (summer '13). My Lynnfield i7 860 build died a few days before Haswell was being released. I didn't want an upgrade, but I wanted a desktop. 

I started assembling my new computer yesterday and am finishing it off now. Until yesterday the last time I assembled a computer was in November 2007, when I built the computer I'm now upgrading from.

It's a shame laptop parts aren't that serviceable or replaceable, isn't it! I want the portability yet I feel upset because certain components of my laptop are not upgradeable and some integrated parts like fingerprint reader no longer work. :(