• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,456 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 07 August 2014 - 19:17

LOL.....what you said is precisely why I love the show.  I am tired of the PC-bull crap world we live in.  Grow a pair, and if you don't like the show, don't watch it. (not an attack on anyone specifically, but to anyone who has issues with this show, you DONT have to watch it).

Fake controversy is fake. As I said, I don't watch the show precisely because I don't like it. Insulting my manhood isn't going to change that. Clarkson makes controversial statements for the sake of it, with the intention being to create headlines. Insulting entire racial, ethnic and socioeconomic demographics isn't a legitimate rebuttal to political correctness - it's infantile and manipulative.

Jeremy Clarkson is a race-baiter.

#17 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 19:20

Often insulting people is the only and probably the best thing one can do, in the face of utter idiocy that is happening at any given time on some place of the world. I'm glad it offends people. I want them to be offended.

#18 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,473 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 19:32

In his generation the N word was a big part of that rhyme. he grew up with it. Is it rasist .. today it is, but when he was growing up that's what they grew up saying. ... I think it was later changed to monkey.

#19 lt8480

lt8480

Neowinian Senior

• 2,212 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 19:42

I was taught "catch a tigger"... and till this 'scandal' I was oblivious it was anything else. Probably because grown ups don't play chase and don't make decisions using rhymes.

#20 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 3,001 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 20:01

Fake controversy is fake. As I said, I don't watch the show precisely because I don't like it. Insulting my manhood isn't going to change that. Clarkson makes controversial statements for the sake of it, with the intention being to create headlines. Insulting entire racial, ethnic and socioeconomic demographics isn't a legitimate rebuttal to political correctness - it's infantile and manipulative.

Of course it is a legitimate rebuttal, if someone such as Jeremy Clarkson can "figure out" and exploit the system to manufacture (and likely monetise) controversy in such a manner then the system is hilariously broken.

That's how pathetic the whole thing is. Swaths of self-identifying "intellectuals" repeatedly baited by a 50-something overgrown schoolboy. Even fish eventually start to learn not to take the bait.

#21 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,456 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 07 August 2014 - 21:15

Of course it is a legitimate rebuttal, if someone such as Jeremy Clarkson can "figure out" and exploit the system to manufacture (and likely monetise) controversy in such a manner then the system is hilariously broken.

That's how pathetic the whole thing is. Swaths of self-identifying "intellectuals" repeatedly baited by a 50-something overgrown schoolboy. Even fish eventually start to learn not to take the bait.

Intellectuals aren't baited by him, though. It's tabloid rags like The Daily Mail that are and they only do it because it generates revenue.

#22 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 3,001 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 22:09

Intellectuals aren't baited by him, though. It's tabloid rags like The Daily Mail that are and they only do it because it generates revenue.

Seems a tad more widespread than just the Daily Mail and it's ilk to me.

#23 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,749 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 07 August 2014 - 22:29

In his generation the N word was a big part of that rhyme. he grew up with it. Is it rasist .. today it is, but when he was growing up that's what they grew up saying. ... I think it was later changed to monkey.

Using the N word  is not always racist.

nword.png

#24 astrokat

astrokat

Neowinian Feline

• 1,269 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 22:45

The fact that he mumbled it proves that he knew it was inappropriate.  I am not sure he should be fired, but in the same time his ignorance should not be overlooked either.  In regards to it being a "PC" thing - its beyond that.  Calling an African American person "Black" is a PC thing, just like calling someone Asian an "oriental".  Using the N word is something entirely different and should not be ignored or brushed under the rug.

#25 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,000 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 07 August 2014 - 22:59

The fact that he mumbled it proves that he knew it was inappropriate.  I am not sure he should be fired, but in the same time his ignorance should not be overlooked either.  In regards to it being a "PC" thing - its beyond that.  Calling an African American person "Black" is a PC thing, just like calling someone Asian an "oriental".  Using the N word is something entirely different and should not be ignored or brushed under the rug.

He mumbled the whole sentence and the sentence after it. I've watched it repeatedly and could not make out the individual words he mumbled. 

#26 Vandalsquad

Vandalsquad

Neowinian

• 973 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:22

He doesn't act like this to drum up viewers or news, it's just he's real self that he won't sensor. If you read any of he's books or watch he's shows before Top Gear he always had some slight racial banter at another nations. That's just who he is and shouldn't be fired because of it.

I was taught "catch a tigger"... and till this 'scandal' I was oblivious it was anything else. Probably because grown ups don't play chase and don't make decisions using rhymes.

It was always catch a N in Australia I never heard tiger and I'm only 25. 

#27 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,457 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:28

Yep.

#28 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,909 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:51

Whatever word he actually used is completely irrelevant anyway.  What many people seem to miss about this whole incident, is that that particular clip was never transmitted anyway.  The mumbled version was cut from the broadcast and changed to something totally innocuous.  Someone then obtained the cut version and posted it up to deliberately try to get Jezza into trouble.

It's really quite pathetic.  He has nothing to apologise for, because no "offensive" version was ever actually transmitted anyway.