Photo
the legend of zelda ocarina of time nintendo ead nintendo nintendo 64 gamecube wii virtual console nintendo 3ds shigeru miyamoto

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:52

I've never played a Zelda game before and I don't fancy playing those ugly, old ones so I thought I'd kick it off with the first 3D one - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Which is the best version?

• Nintendo 64 (320x240)
  • GameCube (640x480)
  • Virtual Console (Wii) (640x480)

I already have a Wii so I can get it on there but depending on what you guys say, I can re-buy a Nintendo 64 and a GameCube.

I'm not sure if the Wii version uses motion controls or not but I have no interest in using those. I'll only consider the Wii version if I can use a controller.

EDIT: "The game was released in for the Virtual Console on Nintendo's Wii console in 2007. This version is an emulation of the Nintendo 64 version, but does not support controller vibration, rendering an in-game item titled the "Stone of Agony" to be useless. The Wii can play the GameCube compilation versions with this feature intact."

So it seems like I should buy the GameCube version and use it in my Wii.

#2 68k

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 August 2014 - 13:38

<snipped> Then, if you enjoy it/think it's worth playing/can stand the really 'plain' graphics (by today's standards), purchase and play it through Virtual Console on Wii using a Classic controller (Project64 doesn't offer 100% emulation yet [and probably never will]; you'll get the best experience using genuine Nintendo hardware).

Edit: note this BEFORE downloading Project64: http://www.reddit.co...ownload_an_n64/ Not surprised... v1.6 is the latest revision I've used (downloaded installer two years ago, pretty sure as a zip file). It worked quite well (although some games didn't render properly). I presume the v1.6 installer's been repackaged (with adware) since then. I doubt there'll be any major difference between v1.6 and v2 (after the change of developers); there was supposed to be; at one stage, you had to support the project to download v2 (alphas/betas).

Edited by Eric, 14 August 2014 - 21:23. Reason: There is no "trial" OoT

#3 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 August 2014 - 13:42

+1 for project64 controller vibration supported!

So Nintendo 64.

#4 My8th

My8th

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2014 - 13:45

You can also check out the 3DS version but you'd need to have a 3DS, it's adds a bunch of features.

#5 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

Posted 14 August 2014 - 13:48

+1 for project64 controller vibration supported!

So Nintendo 64.

Buying the GameCube game and putting it in my Wii apparently supoorts vibration too but is rendered at 640x480, so I may as well buy the GC disc instead of the N64 cartridge.

#6 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 14 August 2014 - 13:51

Buying the GameCube game and putting it in my Wii apparently supoorts vibration too but is rendered at 640x480, so I may as well buy the GC disc instead of the N64 cartridge.

that would work just be sure you have a wii that can run gamecube disks. only the original model is able to. the first redesign removed the feature

#7 68k

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 August 2014 - 13:54

FYI: Legend of Zelda - ocarina of time...n64 or gamecube?:

http://www.reddit.co...64_or_gamecube/

#8 Slammers

Slammers

Neowinian

Posted 14 August 2014 - 14:19

You didn't list it but 3ds version is really good. It has revamped character models and textures, and better inventory control. It's also got master quest and some other extras. If you dont mind playing on a handheld it's probably the best looking and most complete version. Otherwise i'd go with pc/dolphin and run it at 1080p+

#9 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

Posted 14 August 2014 - 14:42

You didn't list it but 3ds version is really good. It has revamped character models and textures, and better inventory control. It's also got master quest and some other extras. If you dont mind playing on a handheld it's probably the best looking and most complete version. Otherwise i'd go with pc/dolphin and run it at 1080p+

I got the platforms from the right side of http://en.wikipedia....Ocarina_of_Time - The 3DS isn't listed for some reason.

#10 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 14 August 2014 - 14:46

You are missing out. :o The 2D ones are usually better in my opinion.

#11 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 14 August 2014 - 14:50

i've only ever played the 3DS version. i enjoyed it quite a bit!

#12 Doli

Doli

Goo ball

Posted 14 August 2014 - 15:09

You are missing out. :o The 2D ones are usually better in my opinion.

(Y)  The first game you have to discover everything, no companion telling you where to go, no 'x' marks the spot on a map for you and enemies everywhere compared to OoT's empty Hyrule field.

#13 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 14 August 2014 - 15:21

(Y)  The first game you have to discover everything, no companion telling you where to go, no 'x' marks the spot on a map for you and enemies everywhere compared to OoT's empty Hyrule field.

Yup, most of the 2D ones were like that. :)

#14 este

este

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 14 August 2014 - 15:33

3DS version if possible. If not, N64 is still great. (I have not played the Gamecube or Wii version but I prefer the N64 controller for this game)

#15 gameboy1977

gameboy1977

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 14 August 2014 - 15:33

I like Nintendo 64, gamecube, and Nintendo 3DS. they are coolest game ever.