Ice bucket challenge claims its first victim

ice bucket challenge death

19 replies to this topic

#1 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,014 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 15:15

A teenager has died after joining in a variation of the latest internet craze, the ice bucket challenge.

Cameron Lancaster is believed to be the first victim of the trend, in which people film themselves having ice water poured over their heads for charity.

The 18-year-old was found dead after jumping into a disused quarry.

Mr. Lancaster disappeared under the water at Prestonhill Quarry in Inverkeithing, Fife, on Sunday.

He is thought to have jumped feet first off a cliff into shallow water, in response to the internet mania that has swept around the world.

His body was recovered after a four-hour search. The death of Mr. Lancaster, from Burntisland, a small coastal village in southern Scotland, comes amid mounting criticism of the challenge. Some observers say it has begun to stray from its original aim of raising awareness and money for the neurodegenerative disease ALS, or motor neurone disease.

In recent weeks, participants have filmed themselves performing increasingly risky stunts in new variations of the challenge.

It is understood that he took part in an ice bucket challenge before leaping into the water from 25-metre high cliffs.

http://news.national...-alice-philips/

#2 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

• 2,378 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 15:19

The 18-year-old was found dead after jumping into a disused quarry. [...]

It is understood that he took part in an ice bucket challenge before leaping into the water from 25-metre high cliffs.

So he didn't actually die from pouring a bucket of water over his head...   :huh:

#3 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,860 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 15:28

So he didn't actually die from pouring a bucket of water over his head...   :huh:

Yeah... I don't see how they're tying what happened to the ice bucket challenge... At all...

#4 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 6,943 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 27 August 2014 - 15:41

Yeah... I don't see how they're tying what happened to the ice bucket challenge... At all...

Yeah it's been all over the news here banging on about ice bucket this, ice bucket that.

The title "Man, who had lunch, dies!" would be just as relevant. 

#5 OP vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 5,014 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 15:48

he died from pouring his head into a bucket of water

#6 +Jombi

Jombi

Aloha Snackbar!

• 230 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia Icon

Posted 27 August 2014 - 15:50

Title should read: "Idiot jumps off cliff into shallow water and dies"

#7 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,472 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 15:52

What an idiot.  And this "challenge" is getting out of hand.  You now have 50 Cent pretty much insulting/antagonizing Floyd Mayweather over whether or not he can read.  50 Cent posted a video of himself tossing the water away and saying if Floyd can read 1 page of a Harry Potter book, 50 will donate money to a charity of his choice.  Stupid and ridiculous.

#8 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,077 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 18:57

this "challenge" has nothing to do w/ charity and everything to do w/ the herd mentality and trying to get online popularity. how about people stop living in highschool and grow up.

#9 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• 6,203 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 20:36

There is a link because people are going that one step further in the name of this 'fundraiser'... instead of pouring a bucket of ice water over their head they are jumping into rivers and lakes n doing other stupid things.

#10 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• 807 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 20:42

Darwin award candidate who jumped over his dead for been so smart.

#11 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 2,997 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 20:45

What an idiot.  And this "challenge" is getting out of hand.  You now have 50 Cent pretty much insulting/antagonizing Floyd Mayweather over whether or not he can read.  50 Cent posted a video of himself tossing the water away and saying if Floyd can read 1 page of a Harry Potter book, 50 will donate money to a charity of his choice.  Stupid and ridiculous.

Maybe so, but man have they raised a ton of money for ALS research through the Ice Bucket Challenge. Over 60 million I thought I heard. Normally the ALS foundations would have only raised a couple million for the entire year. Brilliant use of social media, actually. Other charitable organizations must be quite envious.

As for Mr. Lancaster, I am sorry he died. I'll leave the name-calling to the less classy among us. My god, if you only knew some of the dangerous things I did when I was younger. Alas, stories for another day.

#12 Orange Battery

Orange Battery

Neowinian Senior

• 3,010 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 20:47

So why is everyone throwing buckets of water over their head and posting it on FB? Charity? How much are charities getting per bucket? All I see right now is this - it's like nobody can do anything individually - we all just pour cold water on our head and think we have created balance in the world.

#13 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

• 2,205 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 21:03

Good riddance Lmao

#14 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,741 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 21:59

Ice Bucket Challenge claims its first victim

No, it didn't at all.

its first victim

With implication there will be more? Stop trying to paint a picture to susceptible minds (Looking at National Post).

All that matters is that ALSA is getting quite a lot of money for ALS research and support. People need to keep their opinions & biases (which this most certainly is) to themselves.

#15 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,743 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 23:00

>
With implication there will be more?
>

Because a cold shock can cause big trouble in some people. AKA autonomic conflict.

All that matters is that ALSA is getting quite a lot of money for ALS research and support. People need to keep their opinions & biases (which this most certainly is) to themselves.

Yup it's a good boost for research, but this particular stunt does have risks as noted. Not everyone should be in Polar Bear Clubs either.