Fuji Xerox printer 'comes to your desk' with documents

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lt8480

lt8480

Neowinian Senior

• 2,230 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 19:06

Fuji Xerox has developed a new robotic printer that can move around a lounge or office to bring documents to the person who printed them.

_77246647_fujixerox_printer%283%29.jpg

Full Article / Source - BBC NEWS

Can it go fetch replacement ink from the store on its own? ... and was it a deliberate decision to make it look like it has a face? :ike:

#2 OP lt8480

lt8480

Neowinian Senior

• 2,230 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 19:16

I just realised the photo doesn't actually have anyone in the photo... no doubt they have gone to look for the printer :laugh: imagine your surprise when you get back to your desk and the printer has come to you!

#3 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,638 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 19:20

Neat, but impractical I think.

The offices that I was in had multiple printers on each floor. If you needed a document urgently and the printer was in use by someone else, you would just go to a different printer. With this though, you would have to wait for the printer to come to you, meaning that you would be put in to a queue, wouldn't it?

#4 OP lt8480

lt8480

Neowinian Senior

• 2,230 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 20:38

Yeah I don't really get it either... they suggest it's for "security", but in instanced where that's been important I've seen them set up a "pin" to print option once you get to the printer. The only benefit I can see of this is when you are printing a large and secure document that you don't want others to see and you can't be bothered to wait by the printer... however in those instances I think those people should have trustworthy assistants.

#5 OP lt8480

lt8480

Neowinian Senior

• 2,230 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 20:43

The other things I've just considered are:

1. This picture shows someone on a laptop... how does the printer even know where they are!? (maybe they got a map option in the print settings).

2. I would want to have the ability to know whether the printer is if I want something quicker.

3. How does the printer guarantee that it's not blocking a fire escape route? - feels like that would take some serious "mapping" when you first get it.

4. It's probably cheaper to either get everyone their own printer or an assistant who delivers prints!

#6 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,731 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 30 August 2014 - 20:54

This is interesting, but I have a tactic that I use at work. The very few times that I do print documents, I just wait for other people to bring it to me.  :shifty: