Neowin keeps going offline (Sep 2014)

Frequent visitors will probably have noticed Neowins terrible uptime in the past few days, and surprisingly it has nothing to do with our recent update or bugs :P

In April we (along with Stardock) ordered a new Firewall, because the one at our DC just can't handle the traffic of the combined sites anymore and needed replacing.

The connection issues to Neowin and some of Stardocks sites, has to do with the new Firewall that needs additional work to configure it.

Unfortunately more of the same can be expected until at least Monday, where I'm led to believe they have a guy who knows the hardware better and can deal with these issues.

So we apologise for the issues, but we can't do much about it for now.

I was getting forwarded to some blog site about 6hrs ago. Was it related?

Yes, we had to change some public IP addresses for the site, and we had a little mix up over what the new IPs were. Was fixed right away though, so you shouldn't have seen the issue for much longer than 5 minutes

What firewall are you using?  If security concern - post in the mvc or pm maybe?  Or is it listed somewhere?

What firewall are you using?  If security concern - post in the mvc or pm maybe?  Or is it listed somewhere?

It's a Cisco one and afaik it costs thousands (in the five figure region) :s they have a fully qualified Cisco 'certified' engineer starting on Monday and until then they are just babysitting it and fixing stuff as we go.

There is also an upstream issue with our provider too but they are denying the issue atm, I guess they are working on it.

Frequent visitors will probably have noticed Neowins terrible uptime in the past few days, and surprisingly it has nothing to do with our recent update or bugs :p

In April we (along with Stardock) ordered a new Firewall, because the one at our DC just can't handle the traffic of the combined sites anymore and needed replacing.

The connection issues to Neowin and some of Stardocks sites, has to do with the new Firewall that needs additional work to configure it.

Unfortunately more of the same can be expected until at least Monday, where I'm led to believe they have a guy who knows the hardware better and can deal with these issues.

Thanks for the headsup!

So this is neowin only firewall, or DC firewall that handles traffic for other customers, etc.?

So when you say cisco I would think ASA - do we have a model number? A ASA 5585-X sure could be 50K, but a 5512-X your less then 2k, etc.

It's a Cisco one and afaik it costs thousands (in the five figure region) :s they have a fully qualified Cisco 'certified' engineer starting on Monday and until then they are just babysitting it and fixing stuff as we go.

There is also an upstream issue with our provider too but they are denying the issue atm, I guess they are working on it.

You trust "a fully qualified Cisco 'certified' engineer" before BudMan?

Give BudMan a VPN connection and he'll have it solved in a hour.

You trust "a fully qualified Cisco 'certified' engineer" before BudMan?

Give BudMan a VPN connection and he'll have it solved in a hour.

Quoted for teh undeniable truth!

Just make budman Senior network officer for stardock and presto :P

Frequent visitors will probably have noticed Neowins terrible uptime in the past few days, and surprisingly it has nothing to do with our recent update or bugs :p

Thanks for the heads up!

Thank you! It is good to see Neowin back online. I have a hard time browsing the web without stopping at your site frequently during the day. The past 24 hours have been a nightmare in that regard. That is both a good and a bad thing I guess. It does show how popular and how good your site is! :)

• Like 2