Ray Rice to argue video was edited

A lot could have happened before that. Heck, in the clip that I saw she was lunging at him when he hit her. Was she being verbally and physically abusive towards him before he snapped?

Even if he was stopping her from attacking him, there is still no excuse for knocking her completely out. And if someone is beating on you, you certainly don't marry them.

There's the rub in this; it isn't always men who are the abuser.

Many studies have shown women are almost as likely to be abusers as men, and because most men have been trained "never hit girls/women" they don't and suffer through it just like passive women. If they do complain they risk ridicule, having their manhood challenged by peers etc. This goes WAY beyond just being p/w'd.

There's also another aspect; abusive stepchildren. In many cases they lash out at the step-parent and their natural parent let's it happen. This can be due to co-abuse or fear the brat will turn on them as well. Sex is irrelevant here too.

I've seen its aftermath up close over the years, and its just as ugly whichever gender the abuser is. Both sexes can be the 'stay from fear/low self esteem victim.'

Some eventually leave, some suffer in silence, and others become family annihilators - attacking their victimizers and everyone else in range.

Domestic abuse programs and campaigns need to be a lot less female-centric and tackle it from both sides.

Agreed

The NFL...where beating your wife or kid is not accepted by mistreating animals and murder is....

If you have a criminal record, you don't get to play in the NFL or any major sport, period.  Kids look up to these athletes and admire them...want to be like them.  Athletes should act the part and not be a bunch of idiots.

And if that truly consentual relationship, theres no reasons for media to bash the Rice couple.

It is consensual because she allow him to beat her, however the video was leaked and they can't escape to their reality as couple. I would imagine him beating the hell out of her because he will not be able to play in the NFL anymore.

A lot could have happened before that. Heck, in the clip that I saw she was lunging at him when he hit her. Was she being verbally and physically abusive towards him before he snapped?

Does it matter if she was? That's no excuse to hit her. And there is nothing that would excuse him of his actions after hitting her. (Standing over her, no remorse, etc.)

Quite sad how many of you are trying to make excuses for what Ray Rice did. Pathetic, actually.

Is there any record or any evidence that Rice repeating his offense to the woman?

Sheesh! Isn't once enough? Oh wait, I get it, the first knock-out is a mulligan, right?

As I said... pathetic.

This doesn't matter in the slightest... Gender doesn't matter either...

If I walked up to you and started yelling at you and ###### you off and you decided to knock me out you'll be booked for and charged with battery. You're not allowed to physically attack someone solely because they were saying things that annoyed you or even making you feel very uncomfortable. You're legally only able to claim self defense (the only case where you're legally allowed to physically attack someone) when you're actively under attack or there is clearly imminent risk of bodily injury.

The adult thing to do, if he was in someway getting pushed to attack (as absurd as this argument even is looking at the video), would be for him to just ignore her until the elevator opened and then to distance himself from her until things cooled down. If she was being abusive to him, again very absurd argument to make, he should have filed domestic violence charges against her and terminated the relationship. If he is able to clearly knock her out I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem walking away if she was being abusive (yes, women can be domestic abusers too).

There's the rub in this; it isn't always men who are the abuser.

Many studies have shown women are almost as likely to be abusers as men, and because most men have been trained "never hit girls/women" they don't and suffer through it just like passive women. If they do complain they risk ridicule, having their manhood challenged by peers etc. This goes WAY beyond just being p/w'd.

There's also another aspect; abusive stepchildren. In many cases they lash out at the step-parent and their natural parent let's it happen. This can be due to co-abuse or fear the brat will turn on them as well. Sex is irrelevant here too.

I've seen its aftermath up close over the years, and its just as ugly whichever gender the abuser is. Both sexes can be the 'stay from fear/low self esteem victim.'

Some eventually leave, some suffer in silence, and others become family annihilators - attacking their victimizers and everyone else in range.

Domestic abuse programs and campaigns need to be a lot less female-centric and tackle it from both sides.

you're right that women can equally be the abuser, however women rarely use violence as a means of controlling the relationship, they'll use other means like emotional or financial abuse these days.  Domestic violence groups should be more gender neutral you're right, the reason why I saw that this video should be targeted exclusively to women is because it needs to remind them that they will usually lose any physical confrontation with their male partner.

This doesn't matter in the slightest... Gender doesn't matter either...

If I walked up to you and started yelling at you and ###### you off and you decided to knock me out you'll be booked for and charged with battery. You're not allowed to physically attack someone solely because they were saying things that annoyed you or even making you feel very uncomfortable. You're legally only able to claim self defense (the only case where you're legally allowed to physically attack someone) when you're actively under attack or there is clearly imminent risk of bodily injury.

The adult thing to do, if he was in someway getting pushed to attack (as absurd as this argument even is looking at the video), would be for him to just ignore her until the elevator opened and then to distance himself from her until things cooled down. If she was being abusive to him, again very absurd argument to make, he should have filed domestic violence charges against her and terminated the relationship. If he is able to clearly knock her out I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem walking away if she was being abusive (yes, women can be domestic abusers too).

I've only seen the video once but from what I can tell he is in the elevator as she lunges at him.  I don't know about you; but being in an elevator while someone lunges at you from the only way of getting out of the elevator doesn't leave much room for him to distance himself.  And for all we know; she could be physically abusive to Ray but it's just that we didn't see it happen in this video.  He felt threatened and he swung; could it of turned out better? Yeah but we're past that point now.

I've only seen the video once but from what I can tell he is in the elevator as she lunges at him.  I don't know about you; but being in an elevator while someone lunges at you from the only way of getting out of the elevator doesn't leave much room for him to distance himself.  And for all we know; she could be physically abusive to Ray but it's just that we didn't see it happen in this video.  He felt threatened and he swung; could it of turned out better? Yeah but we're past that point now.

I still think it is an absurd argument to be making, but even assuming that is the case. He could easily absorb a hit from her until the elevator opened and then distanced himself from her and ensured to have her charged with domestic violence. He could, and should, also have ended the relationship if he was under such attack.

It isn't new news that men are punished much more harshly for domestic violence cases than women. So, it wouldn't be a prudent idea to go "well she lunged at me so I knocked her out"... Even if that rendition were to be accurate.

I don't feel sorry for him one bit. He is a disgusting individual.

The solution for verbal abuse is not a knockout punch.

As for physical abuse, self defense requires a proportionate response.

Finally, snapping is not a valid defense for committing assault. 

The solution for verbal abuse is not a knockout punch.

As for physical abuse, self defense requires a proportionate response.

I'm not saying he is not entirely in the clear, but she very well may be at fault to and very well should also face charges of domestic abuse. 

I'm not saying he is not entirely in the clear, but she very well may be at fault to and very well should also face charges of domestic abuse. 

At fault for what?

If I were to walk up to you and curse you out, including every bad word you could imagine, that wouldn't give you license to commit battery by punching me in the face.

• Like 2

I'll simplify:

Verbal abuse and/or getting angry does not justify assault or battery and self defense requires a proportionate response.

Someone yells at you, you hit them, that's assault and battery.

Someone makes you angry, you hit them, that's assault and battery

Someone half your size hits you without injury and they don't have the ability to injure you, and you seriously injure them in response, that's assault and battery. 

If you're going to argue the third point, you better have a rock solid defense, like showing evidence of the injury they caused you. 

I'll simplify:

Verbal abuse and/or getting angry does not justify assault or battery and self defense requires a proportionate response.

Someone yells at you, you hit them, that's assault and battery.

Someone makes you angry, you hit them, that's assault and battery

Someone half your size hits you without injury and they don't have the ability to injure you, and you seriously injure them in response, that's assault and battery. 

If you're going to argue the third point, you better have a rock solid defense, like showing evidence of the injury they caused you. 

She was lunging at him during this incident. She was physically attacking him. That was domestic violence. Just because she is smaller than he is does not make her physical and verbal abuse okay.

She was lunging at him during this incident. She was physically attacking him. That was domestic violence. Just because she is smaller than he is does not make her physical and verbal abuse okay.

Even if she is attacking him physically, he could tell her verbally to stop it and / or just walk away from her. Not reason at all to knocked her out to the ground, unless she have a knife on her hand and she is trying to kill him. 

Even if she is attacking him physically, he could tell her verbally to stop it and / or just walk away from her. Not reason at all to knocked her out to the ground, unless she have a knife on her hand and she is trying to kill him. 

I'm not saying he was without fault, just pointing out that she was very likely in the wrong as well.

No, although it can be part of a temporary insanity plea. I certainly don't believe that to be a good defense in this situation, but in some situations you might be talking about years of an abusive relationship (on the receiving end) and where it makes more sense for the person to get help than be put in jail.