Why did Microsoft skip Windows 9?

Makes sense. Microsoft skips Windows 9 because Windows 10 would be the last version of three yearly new windows. We will get another version of windows, 10 years later

edit: added comma to prevent confusion

The average consumer doesn't know, nor care, that Windows 8 was actually version number 6.2.

And actual tech people understand why it's 6.2.

Can you explain to me why it is 6.2?

But Microsoft went instead with Windows 10 because they wanted to signify that the coming Windows release would be the last "major" Windows update. Going forward, Microsoft is planning to make regular, smaller updates to the Windows 10 codebase, rather than pushing out new major updates years apart. Windows 10 will have a common codebase across multiple screen sizes, with the UI tailored to work on those devices.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-christens-the-next-version-of-windows-as-windows-10-7000034196/

Windows 1, Windows 2, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.

It all makes total sense.

Kernel versions of NT-based Windows versions:

Windows NT 4.0 = 4.0

Windows 2000 = 5.0

Windows XP = 5.1

Windows Server 2003 and XP x64 = 5.2

Windows Vista = 6.0

Windows 7 = 6.1

Windows 8 = 6.2

Windows 8.1 = 6.3

Windows 10 = 6.4

• Like 2

Guys, its actually binary. They joked about Windows One already being taken so Windows 10 (two in binary) is the obvious next step. Since this release is a threshold for Windows going forward it makes sense to jump from 1 to 2.

• Like 1

Since this release is a threshold for Windows going forward it makes sense to jump from 1 to 2.

Sure hope not, I have copies of Windows 1 and 2 in storage somewhere.

Microsoft has always been horrible with naming and branding. They'd do much better just naming everything "null".

lol this april fools article from last year

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2613504/microsoft-windows/microsoft-skips--too-good--windows-9--jumps-to-windows-10.html

"Microsoft skips 'too good' Windows 9, jumps to Windows 10"

• Like 2

Purely hypothetical ideas:

Because they plan multiple minor releases and releasing Windows 9.5 and Windows 9.8 would be confusing.

Because they want to distance themselves from Windows 8.

Because some people think that Windows 8.1 is Windows 8 + 1.

Because this is the last major version of Windows to get a number and they don't want to be stuck one number behind Mac OS X.

• Like 2

I really think they just skipped 9 because this version is going to be a bigger deal/upgrade than we expect it to be.

I'm not having an issue with the name but I don't think it's a great name.

If this is really the last "BIG" release of Windows, then they should have just gone with Windows

Otherwise 9 would have been just fine. I'll warm up to it but for now, meh.

But who cares what it is called? As long as it's good we shouldn't really care I guess