Why did Microsoft skip Windows 9?

Windows 1, Windows 2, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.

It all makes total sense.

:woot:  :woot:

I wonder, once they hit Windows version 95, what they will call it? lol

Bonfire, on 01 Oct 2014 - 20:08, said:

The very first version of Windows NT was 3.1, it's all just marketing. The numbers mean nothing and skipping is a tradition.

More like it was released 1 year after Windows 3.1.

BTW, as the question came up, why Windows 7 was actually the seventh Windows:

1) Win 1.01

2) Win 2, 2.1x

3a) Win 3, 3.1x, 3.2

3b) NT 3.1, NT 3.5x

4a) 95[4.0], 98(SE)[4.1], ME[4.9]

4b) NT 4.0

5) 2000[NT5.0], XP[NT5.1], XP-Itanium[NT5.2], Server 2003 (R2) [NT5.2], XP-64bit[NT5.2], WHS[NT5.2]

6) Vista, Server 2008; all NT6.0

7) 7, Server 2008 R2, WHS 2011; all NT6.1

8) 8, Server 2012; all NT6.2; 8.1, Server 2012 R2; all NT6.3

=> So the (internal) major version number corresponds to the "official" Windows version until 7, where MS has stopped increasing the major version number (instead continually increasing the minor version number) due to compatibility issues with badly written software?

Actually there's a lot that goes into a true version/build number, it's much more complicated and means a whole lot more then you clearly understand, especially for software compatibility.

Just because MS uses them for compatibility and somewhat correctly doesn't mean everyone (or even most developers) do. Just look at the versioning of mobile apps.

out of curiosity, why not?

Because he thinks the German number 9, is "nein" (no), when actually it's "neun", a completely different word and pronunciation.

Because he thinks the German number 9, is "nein" (no), when actually it's "neun", a completely different word and pronunciation.

His joke is even funnier because you think he actually thinks that. :laugh:

• Like 2

What do you call this guy's hair style?

Early 90's skater?

I find it cool that MS didn't give up on their vision for Longhorn, this is what Windows 10's feature set encompasses.

I am curious why you would think this way. There has not been anything revealed so far that even suggests such a thing. Windows 10 is not providing a data store to create relationships between data and potentially end both folder hierarchies and propietary types (WinFS). Windows 10 is not providing a parallel operating environment to run alongside the Windows operating system so that users can perform more sensitive operations (Next-Generation Secure Computing Base) . . . The list goes on.

The Next-Generation Secure Computing Base would probably be the most reasonable feature to include. Microsoft's competitiors have recently adopted similar technologies, which suggests that Microsoft may soon be at a competitive disadvantage if it does not offer similar capabilites; competitors will only continue to improve their own. The NGSCB may also help to promote trust in both Microsoft and the PC platform as a whole, something which is becoming increasingly important in this 'mobile-first, cloud-first world.'

WinHEC 2000 - Privacy, Security, and Content in Windows Platforms

izA1YBp.png

7MOW964.png