Windows 10: Windows Insider Program Now Open For Registration

Is there anything special I need to do in Virtual Box to run this? Maybe my VB install is old, but I mount the ISO and it shows the little loading screen but then promptly blue screens the VM.

Same here. Using VirtualBox 4.3.6, 1.5GB RAM, 25GB VDI, guest OS Windows 8.1, VT-x supposedly enabled (at least that's what VB says and Intel Processor Id Utility), rest is defaults

VBox people

from another thread

Getting BSOD with VirtualBox 4.3.16 when launching VM. It was OK with 4.3.12.

try downgrading to 4.3.12 to see if it's more stable for you as well

i wont lose a word over the installer i have in the past and nothing has changed...

i then open the start menu and omfg :rofl:   ms even you can do that better i mean please...

image.jpg

dragging to make it bigger has no effect. after 5 mins i stoped bothering and turned it off.

Microsoft did say its a very buggy build and pretty much alpha at the moment.

Microsoft did say its a very buggy build and pretty much alpha at the moment.

Especially if you unpin everything, turn off all the extra menus and smush it down like that.

i wont lose a word over the installer i have in the past and nothing has changed...

i then open the start menu and omfg :rofl:   ms even you can do that better i mean please...

image.jpg

dragging to make it bigger has no effect. after 5 mins i stoped bothering and turned it off.

LOL first its a buggy release but have you tried you know maybe add a live tile to it and retry dragging

Does anyone know if we can also update from installer i dont wanna lose the info or at least not run the setup from boot method (dont have the tools of the trade with me :p ).

Especially if you unpin everything, turn off all the extra menus and smush it down like that.

so just that i get this right: you accuse me of intentionally manipulating the menu to make it look like that?

Does anyone know if we can also update from installer i dont wanna lose the info or at least not run the setup from boot method (dont have the tools of the trade with me tongue.png ).

could always extract the ISO and run the setup from a random folder. i've done that before & it works fine

so just that i get this right: you accuse me of intentionally manipulating the menu to make it look like that?

Honestly, knowing your past history, it wouldn't surprise me. But another user just confirmed that he had the same exact thing and it's because of the VM's guest additions, not the OS, so *shrug* take it for what you will.

could always extract the ISO and run the setup from a random folder. i've done that before & it works fine

uhm so yes to the update/fresh install from within windows.

Note: Win8+ has iso mounting so you dont need to extract to setup.

Note: Win8+ has iso mounting so you dont need to extract to setup.

oh right. haven't had to mount an iso in awhile so totally forgot about that feature rofl.gif

• Like 1

The fact that you have to install VBox Additions makes me think it will be drag enabled on hardware accelarated gfx and disabled in regedit for the others as it happens with some of win8 features like the Win8 Metro Apps not starting on netbooks.

What is the a difference between signing up for the Insider Program or downloading the ISO file via a direct download link if both options allow you to send feedback? Are there any additional benefits?

Are the download links for the server version available yet?

What is the a difference between signing up for the Insider Program or downloading the ISO file via a direct download link if both options allow you to send feedback? Are there any additional benefits?

I think it's mostly about getting or not getting future builds of the OS as they're sent out.  Someone said in another thread that if they logged in with a local account the option for "Recent Builds" in PC Settings --> Update and Recovery, is gone.   If you signup and login with the same account then you will keep getting updates to newer builds it looks like.