Created this app to enable the Right-Edge cursor activation of the Charms Bar instead of using the Keyboard Shortcut in situations where I wasn't always sitting near the keyboard.

Maybe useful to others. :)

154u647.jpg

Description:
PopCharms

Simple app to enable users to move their cursor to Right Edge of Screen to open the Charms Bar without using Keyboard Shortcut manually.

For Windows Store Apps: If you have a Windows Store App open and move to Right Edge, it will automatically open the Settings Charm for the app. I did it this way to get away from having to click the Menu Bar\ Settings in the app then moving cursor over to the Settings Charm.

The app sits in the System Tray. Right-Click icon and select Exit to close the app.

This is just a temporary solution till Microsoft, hopefully, settles on a solution to the Charms Bar.

Tested using a mouse but have not tested using Touch.

Can be downloaded from my OneDrive: PopCharms

• Like 2

Thank you for the application, but I would prefer it if Microsoft offered the option to use the Charms Bar like it was possible in Windows 8.1. I know that the relevant options are being moved to the title bar of applications, but if those options fly out from the right-hand side of the screen as before - which they currently do - I see no reason why the Charms Bar shouldn't be available.

Thank you for the application, but I would prefer it if Microsoft offered the option to use the Charms Bar like it was possible in Windows 8.1. I know that the relevant options are being moved to the title bar of applications, but if those options fly out from the right-hand side of the screen as before - which they currently do - I see no reason why the Charms Bar shouldn't be available.

I agree 100%. I've gotten too used to the W8 version and honestly can't stand the Windowed Menu.

• Like 2

I agree 100%. I've gotten too used to the W8 version and honestly can't stand the Windowed Menu.

I've already submitted feedback for the Charms Bar and hopefully other users will follow suit.

So when the mouse touches the right edge it opens Charms? On Windows 8 it had that awkard mouse gesture mouse to corner, then center right edge. I'd much rather have it a hidden button in the corner like the bottom left start button was like in 8.1 and when clicked it opened Charms or if I wanted set one to open PC Settings.

So when the mouse touches the right edge it opens Charms? On Windows 8 it had that awkard mouse gesture mouse to corner, then center right edge. I'd much rather have it a hidden button in the corner like the bottom left start button was like in 8.1 and when clicked it opened Charms or if I wanted set one to open PC Settings.

This just requires moving the cursor anywhere on the right side of screen. No need for swiping. In the Technical Preview, the only option for non touch users is to use the Windows Key+C keyboard shortcut. This app uses the same thing with the added option of monitoring for Store Apps.

I might could possibly make it a button to click if I get the time to make a modified version of this one.

This just requires moving the cursor anywhere on the right side of screen. No need for swiping. In the Technical Preview, the only option for non touch users is to use the Windows Key+C keyboard shortcut. This app uses the same thing with the added option of monitoring for Store Apps.

I might could possibly make it a button to click if I get the time to make a modified version of this one.

That would get in the way when watching a YouTube video or something and you move your cursor off the screen. I know the shortcut, I have Windows 8 and the tech preview

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Created this app to enable the Right-Edge cursor activation of the Charms Bar instead of using the Keyboard Shortcut in situations where I wasn't always sitting near the keyboard.

Maybe useful to others. :)

154u647.jpg

Description:
PopCharms

Simple app to enable users to move their cursor to Right Edge of Screen to open the Charms Bar without using Keyboard Shortcut manually.

For Windows Store Apps: If you have a Windows Store App open and move to Right Edge, it will automatically open the Settings Charm for the app. I did it this way to get away from having to click the Menu Bar\ Settings in the app then moving cursor over to the Settings Charm.

The app sits in the System Tray. Right-Click icon and select Exit to close the app.

This is just a temporary solution till Microsoft, hopefully, settles on a solution to the Charms Bar.

Tested using a mouse but have not tested using Touch.

Can be downloaded from my OneDrive: PopCharms

CyclingGuyNOLA, the folder at the end of your link is empty.

• 2 weeks later...

When I click on your link, I am taken to an empty shared public folder on OneDrive. Could you supply a direct link or move the file to another location and provide that link? I would really like to try out this app, as the one thing I miss on Windows 10 is the Charms Bar. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Charms bar is def for tabs

Not really - it's a great "one stop shop" for settings with a mouse as well. One of the reasons my tower is still on 8.1.

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity does this work with the final builds of Windows 10 (10240 and 10586)? I am curious because I want to know if the code for charms is still there and MS has simply disabled access to it.

• 11 months later...

Well, that link is still broken but I found another copy here:

https://mega.nz/#!iYhXkQga!E3bmPYhudfVSdxq4_m4AbjbgwJVvzS4tDLM0NA9PXlY

Personally, I can't get the program to work with the version of Windows 10 I'm using. I've even tried compatibility settings. The only part that works is it does open settings if a modern app is open. But no Charms Bar is ever visible when I mouse over the the upper right hand corner...

Hopefully others have better luck! Let me know if you get it working!

• Jim K locked this topic