CMS Design

Question

What do you think of the following design?

It's a new CMS I'm creating, for simple webpages and complex webpages, it's kinda like wordpress.

The design is based on material design from google. The colorscheme is configurable.

Any suggestions/ideas?

grtjn.jpg

I really like the design. Very bootstrappy. 

Are you releasing your CMS to be open source? 

Yup it's going to be opensource and based on PHP and Mysql

• Like 2

SeahorsePip,

1. Looks smooth, very refined/elegant.

2. I don't really like the fact it's going to be PHP based; not only do you have to content with Drupal / Wordpress / etc but PHP isn't really where the web needs to be going right now.

3. Can I have your icons? ;)

I really like the design, Seahorsepip. My only comment would be that the left-hand nav/tool bar is a little too wide. There is a lot of a whitespace. Though, this is fine if some of those list items expand and their children use up more of the space. But overall, great design.

SeahorsePip,

2. I don't really like the fact it's going to be PHP based; not only do you have to content with Drupal / Wordpress / etc but PHP isn't really where the web needs to be going right now.

1. Thanks

2. What else should I write it in? js? node js servers aren't that well known

3. Sure those icons from the polymer project: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4281191/polymer.zip

looks nice, are you use polymer?

Nope it's too big as a framework to use and it's still not working properly. But I did create all the animations which polymer also has.

I really like the design, Seahorsepip. My only comment would be that the left-hand nav/tool bar is a little too wide. There is a lot of a whitespace. Though, this is fine if some of those list items expand and their children use up more of the space. But overall, great design.

Yeah that's one of the reasons why I kept it this width also I wanted to keep the overall layout in proportion, a too narrow sidebar will also look bad.

The design will have media queries so the sidebar/content will hide/resize/show when necessary.

1. Thanks

2. Wha else would I write it in? js? node js servers aren't that well known

3. Sure those icons from the polymer project: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4281191/polymer.zip

Nope it's too big as a framework to use and it's still not working properly. But I did create all the animations which polymer also has.

Yeah that's one of the reasons why I kept it this width also I wanted to keep the overall layout in proportion, a too narrow sidebar will also look bad.

The design will have media queries so the sidebar/content will hide/resize/show when necessary.

Regarding #2, what does it matter if its not well known?  Is the CMS going to affect the way the site runs?

Regarding #2, what does it matter if its not well known?  Is the CMS going to affect the way the site runs?

It's just not a smart idea to target node js servers since their numbers are small, most of my clients also run php servers without node js.

I would like to use the cms in the future for my websites so I decided to go for php since that's always available.

SeahorsePip,

lol PHP is the master of HTML :p  Microsoft and their fans of ASP is trying to make PHP go away... it aint happenin :p

Looks very nice Seahorse. I hope you won't abandon this project as I'm curious to take it out for a test drive!

Lolwut? Since when is a programming language relevant as to where the web is going? PHP is an extremely flexible, well-performing language and it's deployable on millions of web servers. What would you prefer, Ruby/Rails? Python/Django?

Or Node? Good luck competing with Ghost in that niche market. Angular?? Yeah, no.

1. Thanks

2. What else should I write it in? js? node js servers aren't that well known

Re #2: If he says Rails I will die a little inside. 

Edit: Write it in Go!  :laugh:

Re #2: If he says Rails I will die a little inside. 

Edit: Write it in Go!  :laugh:

lol no way I'll even think about rails o.O and Go! isn't a mature language that's reliable :P

Any idea when we can give it a try? And under which license? I hope MIT. :) It looks very good.

Haven't thought about the license yet but I won't be using any license that limits usage.

It'll be available begin december simply because I need to have it finished as school project by then xD

• Like 2

It's just not a smart idea to target node js servers since their numbers are small, most of my clients also run php servers without node js.

I would like to use the cms in the future for my websites so I decided to go for php since that's always available.

Node servers are ridiculously easy to setup, so don't let that hold you back (not saying it is).

PHP is getting hit pretty hard on the hacking front.

Node servers are ridiculously easy to setup, so don't let that hold you back (not saying it is).

PHP is getting hit pretty hard on the hacking front.

I know they are easy to setup but if I and most of my clients have shared hosting it's not possible to use node js :/

But I might write a node js version later. Also I'm planning to write a flat file db version later too.

For my own knowledge. What would be your thoughts are coding this with Flask/Python?

I love python and wrote already some programs in it but most hosts don't support it :(