Nvidia DX11 cards

Can anyone recommend an Nvidia card that supports dx11 that is not terribly expensive? I'm enjoying having an dx11 card, but really want to go back to Nvidia. Also perhaps not related, but with my current GPU windows 7 is taking somewhere around 2 mins to load the desktop after logon, I've never had this issue with nvidia.

Which driver you are using?

Budget for new GPU?

Whats your current Power Supply? So we can limit new GPU to that power supply.

• Like 1

Budget is around $120 PSU is 1050 watts. Using the latest drivers from AMD. Also if you prefer a manufacturer, please recommend that as well, my favorite was xfx, but sadly they no longer produce nvidia cards. :(

Budget is around $120 PSU is 1050 watts. Using the latest drivers from AMD. Also if you prefer a manufacturer, please recommend that as well, my favorite was xfx, but sadly they no longer produce nvidia cards. :(

PSU is perfectly fine.

I will recommend nvidia GTX 750 or if you can increase little than get 750 Ti. It is based on latest Maxwell architecture, support DX 11, 11.1 and 11.2 (some optional features). Performance to Power ratio is brilliant, will not be bummer on your electricity bills as well.

See:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487027&cm_re=nvidia_GTX_750-_-14-487-027-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487034&cm_re=nvidia_GTX_750-_-14-487-034-_-Product

I gave links for example, you can go for any brand and variant of GTX 750 you like, its bang for buck GPU.

Use this link to find all 750 and 750 Ti GPUs - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600487564%20600487565&IsNodeId=1

Review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7764/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-and-gtx-750-review-maxwell

EDIT: I personally recommend EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should try reinstalling AMD driver once again with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU):

Download from here: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

and try this Beta driver: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst14-9-2BetaWINReleaseNotes.aspx

What's your CPU?  The reason I ask is because if it has an integrated GPU, we can narrow down whether the graphics card is the culprit for your long boot time.  Personally I would lean towards faulty RAM being the issue.

PSU is perfectly fine.

I will recommend nvidia GTX 750 or if you can increase little than get 750 Ti. It is based on latest Maxwell architecture, support DX 11, 11.1 and 11.2 (some optional features). Performance to Power ratio is brilliant, will not be bummer on your electricity bills as well.

See:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487027&cm_re=nvidia_GTX_750-_-14-487-027-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487034&cm_re=nvidia_GTX_750-_-14-487-034-_-Product

I gave links for example, you can go for any brand and variant of GTX 750 you like, its bang for buck GPU.

Review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7764/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-and-gtx-750-review-maxwell

EDIT: I personally recommend EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS.

Agreed on the GTX750 (and the Ti variant in particular) - it is the energy-sipper par excellence.  Most require no more than what is sent over the PCI Express bus (and no more than a 400 watt PSU).  Takeaway - they can go in practically ANY desktop that has need for a DX11 GPU that has the appropriate PCI Express slot (which, by the way, goes back to - don't faint - 1.1 and Intel G31 AKA Bear Lake).

ASUS GTX750Ti 2 GB (non-OC) - http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics_Cards/GTX750TIOC2GD5/

It requires a single six-pin PCI Express power feed (because it is overcooled for some manual overclocking capability - it has dual cooling fans).

And yes - I DID say BEAR Lake above; despite Bear Lake supporting only PCI Express 1.1 (and going back to XP), unless you have a quirky BIOS, it will handle "baby Maxwell" just fine.

What's your CPU?  The reason I ask is because if it has an integrated GPU, we can narrow down whether the graphics card is the culprit for your long boot time.  Personally I would lean towards faulty RAM being the issue.

It's not long boot time, it's long time from hitting enter at login to seeing the desktop, for 2-3 mins all I see is black screen.

Operating System

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

CPU

AMD Phenom II X4 955

Deneb 45nm Technology

RAM

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

BIOSTAR Group TA970 (CPU 1)    17 ?C

Graphics

H213H (1920x1080@60Hz)

1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (XFX Pine Group)    33 ?C

Storage

232GB Seagate ST3250410AS ATA Device (SATA)    32 ?C

465GB Seagate ST3500630AS ATA Device (SATA)    41 ?C

232GB Seagate ST3250410AS ATA Device (SATA)    36 ?C

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EADS-65M2B0 ATA Device (SATA)    37 ?C

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1 ATA Device (SATA)    35 ?C

Optical Drives

No optical disk drives detected

Audio

AMD High Definition Audio Device

Also perhaps not related, but with my current GPU windows 7 is taking somewhere around 2 mins to load the desktop after logon, I've never had this issue with nvidia.

Does the screen show the desktop? This could be due to using a HDD where a SSD boot drive might help with this. And I agree with the 750 Ti recommendation.

DIMM1: Crucial BLS2G3D1609DS1S00. 2 GB DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM (11-9-9-24 @ 800 MHz) (10-9-9-24 @ 800 MHz) (9-9-9-24 @ 800 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 711 MHz) (7-7-7-19 @ 622 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 533 MHz) (5-5-5-14 @ 444 MHz)

DIMM2: Crucial BLS2G3D1609DS1S00. 2 GB DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM (11-9-9-24 @ 800 MHz) (10-9-9-24 @ 800 MHz) (9-9-9-24 @ 800 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 711 MHz) (7-7-7-19 @ 622 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 533 MHz) (5-5-5-14 @ 444 MHz)

DIMM3: Crucial Ballistix BL25664TG1608.16FF 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 592 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 444 MHz)

DIMM4: Crucial Ballistix BL25664TG1608.16FF 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 592 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 444 MHz)

Phenom II is quite weak processor IMO not too much but still, newer processor would have more impact on Games but it could be able to affect Bootup speeds.

Mismatch RAMs.

Confirm whether the two sticks of same kit has been place in same color slots or not?

Your motherboard Memory compatibility list does not list Crucial RAMs as support:

Link - http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=623#memory

Which revision your Motherboard is? 5.0/5.1/5.2 or 5.3?

- Go to start > RUN and type "msconfig" (without quotes) and then go to startup tab and post its picture here, might be some stupid program slowing down booting.

You know you can still get NVIDIA DirectX 12 starting at around 40$ right?

Direct X 12 Software API then Yes. Hardware level feature. Nope!!!

Because DirectX 12 is still in development and won't release for about a year from now (maybe with Windows 10?). There is a difference between supporting DX12's software API and supporting the new DX12 hardware level features. GPUs released in the last couple years *should* support DX12's software API but it won't support the new hardware level features. For example there will be features that the hardware will support (and require hardware support in new GPUs) that won't be supported in the software API in existing GPUs. Blend modes and conservative rasterization are examples of this. Sure, current gen GPUs will reap the benefits of DX12 when it's released, but the point here is that they won't have full support for DirectX 12 thus requiring Nvidia/AMD/Intel to release new compatible hardware (about a year from now, next-gen hardware).

Bottom line: If you want FULL DirectX 12 support, you'll need a GPU that supports both the software and the hardware features.

We talking about a graphic card.  How is that not a "hardware"?

What Boo Berry my friend said.

It kind of boggles the mind how nobody has asked how a different vidcard would change boot times in the slightest.

Sounds like he just needs to defrag and update drivers, use a different drive for booting, or get a ReadyCache drive or SSD.

1050W PSU and a 120$ GPU budget? Wat?

Also there are tools to monitor the Windows 7 boot time and usually the apps that take the longest time to load are listed in the event log (it's usually always the AV), you can find plenty of tutorials around.

Ran the program, i'll attach the report. Suddenly today it booted just fine and loaded the desktop right after pressing enter...

2 out 5 Hard disk are 100% fine while booting partition Hard disk including other 3 hard disk has bad sectors.

- Movies hard disk has poor health and 47 bad sectors.

- Storage and Games and Program has 2 bad sectors.

- Windows 7 Hard disk also has 1 bad sector.

Westren Digital one has too many, I highly recommend you to backup your data timely now.

Personal suggestion, Hard disks are cheap these days, rather than changing GPU, get one solid Hard disk of 1 TB or more, so you can replace your 250 GB ones.

Ran the program, i'll attach the report. Suddenly today it booted just fine and loaded the desktop right after pressing enter...

That 1TB drive is in pretty bad shape and it might be the cause for your slowdown. You can try disabling it in BIOS/UEFI or just unplug it if that isn't possible, to see if it's the cause. If you're still having the problem that is.

Whatever you do, take care of the drive issues first. After you've backed the data from ST3500630AS (Disk 1) and WD10EADS-65M2B0 (Disk 3), run a "WRITE + read test" on each (found in Hard Disk Sentinel under Disk > Surface Test). Alternatively, you can run a "read + WRITE + read test" which should keep you data intact (backup is still recommended), but will take longer to finish. This test took 48h on a 2TB drive for me.

If you can wait out a little longer, both AMD and Nvidia will release mid-tier DirectX 12 graphics cards very soon. Those cards will make full use of DirectX features from Windows 10 onwards.

If you can wait out a little longer, both AMD and Nvidia will release mid-tier DirectX 12 graphics cards very soon. Those cards will make full use of DirectX features from Windows 10 onwards.

They won't support the new hardware features of DirectX 12 but will support the software API. So no, not full use of DirectX 12 features.