Windows 10 9879 New features

Try uninstalling Nvidia Control Panel. Run a cleaning tool, like CCleaner. Try running sfc /scannow in the administrator prompt. Check task manager for anomalies.

And, when reinstalling the Nvidia Control Panel, perform a clean install.

I was able to fix things with a complete uninstall and reinstall. Still haven't fixed my Steam issues, though. :(

BTW, didn't know if this existed earlier. But Pressing Win Key + A pops up the notification center.

That's cool, I didn't know that.

Don't run it as a production OS and you won't be annoyed when your machine breaks (you SHOULD just be testing it, right ;)?).

We're all well aware of the risks, thanks. That doesn't mean I'm not going to be annoyed when things go wrong.

PS - Does anyone else find it takes an incredibly long time to boot up, even with a SSD? It's been the same with all builds.

Fixed the Steam issues with a revalidation of the game files. Just irritating, as I didn't have any of these issues when I upgraded to the last preview build.

Other issues so far:

Desktop flickering - it seems like apps were fighting for priority

Start Menu streaming - icons sometimes take a while to appear and fade in, like it's having trouble loading them

Had some issues installing this build from 9860.  I got home to my PC last night and it was at the login screen (which is odd because I never have it lock).  Upon login, it said that the technical preview update had failed and previous version had been restored.  I first checked to see the PC settings, because I hadn't heard of the new build.  I saw there was one available and checked Neowin instantly for more details :)   I launched PC settings again to attempt the upgrade once more, this time while I was actually at the computer.  The new build installed fine, but upon first login (when it goes through installing Apps, applying settings, etc), I got a bluescreen for whea_uncorrectable_error.  The PC restarted and during the startup process, gave me the whea_uncorrectable_error message again.  It did this in a loop until it finally launched the startup recovery process, at which point I selected for it to do a refresh of the OS.  This process took about 10 minutes, but upon first boot, I received another blue screen that said my  \Windows\System32\winload.efi  digital signature could not be verified.  I ended up having to reformat and do a fresh install. 

I was able to fix things with a complete uninstall and reinstall. Still haven't fixed my Steam issues, though. :(

That's cool, I didn't know that.

We're all well aware of the risks, thanks. That doesn't mean I'm not going to be annoyed when things go wrong.

PS - Does anyone else find it takes an incredibly long time to boot up, even with a SSD? It's been the same with all builds.

My boot and restart is almost instant with this build.Task manger says 3.9 seconds. It was 4.8 on the last build and 5 on the first build.

Uh, so zPC Settings is an official app released by Microsoft? I was pretty sure it's some 3rd party one.

Anyway, I don't understand why I have to manage settings of Cortana on Bing search settings page - if this has to be most prominent feature of 10 and integral part of operating system then definitely all of its settings should be available locally; I do of course understand that both search engine and voice assistant are reliable on each other but this shouldn't happen...

My boot and restart is almost instant with this build.Task manger says 3.9 seconds. It was 4.8 on the last build and 5 on the first build.

Event Viewer says my startup time was 256,013ms. If I'm working it out correctly, that's over 4 minutes.

According to the break down MsMpEng.exe (Windows Defender) is responsible for 72 seconds of that delay. Other apps flagged are Steam, WMI Provider Host and SVC Host. I've often noticed Windows Defender using a lot of CPU power, so I'm pretty sure that's the culprit. Any suggestions?

Where does Task Manager list the startup time? I could only find it in Event Viewer.

Who says that you have to use them (if you think they are useless)?

No one, of course. I just grow tired of continuously uninstalling them. I should probably just script it, but there are too many things likely to change between now and RTM to make it worth my time. 

Is there a new icon for folders? I saw it in the blog post.

new_icons.png

Kind of interesting. What does a standard folder icon look like, if there is no content within?

These new builds are getting worse than the previous one... What is going on MS?

What specifically is getting worse in each build? Microsoft did state that certain things in various builds will break from time to time, due to testing. But I assume you knew that, right?

http://superuser.com/questions/543039/last-bios-time-on-task-manager

My boot up is almost instant. The windows circle loading thingy doesnt even do one full rotation before windows 10 loaded.

Event Viewer says my startup time was 256,013ms. If I'm working it out correctly, that's over 4 minutes.

According to the break down MsMpEng.exe (Windows Defender) is responsible for 72 seconds of that delay. Other apps flagged are Steam, WMI Provider Host and SVC Host. I've often noticed Windows Defender using a lot of CPU power, so I'm pretty sure that's the culprit. Any suggestions?

Where does Task Manager list the startup time? I could only find it in Event Viewer.

Well, 9879 seems to have borked things at my end. It disabled SLI and gave an error about system changes - when I reinstalled the graphics drivers I can now no longer access the nVidia Control Panel. Further, Steam is now stuck in an infinite loop and I can't launch games.

This build is a complete disaster. Very unimpressed. :angry:

PS - For some reason my keyboard is now playing up. The backspace button seems to delete things too quickly, which is hard to get used to; I also lost some information I cut and tried to paste when writing this comment, which couldn't be undone via Ctrl-Z.

Welcome to the "fast" lane! :P

This new build isn't too bad. OneDrive is a little weird, what they've done to it. Instead of causing so much confusion over what sync and what doesn't, I would have used a simple icon system, like the one on the OneDrive app: A little PC in the corner for files on the computer, and a little cloud for those that aren't. And if parts of a folder's content are on the PC and parts aren't, a split icon, where half is on and half isn't. 'Cuz frankly, this Selective Sync is a little harder to understand that it needed to be.

Beyond that, I've noticed that several changes have been made to zPC Settings and PC Settings. In the regular PC Settings, as mentioned earlier, there is a new Storage Overview option in Storage Sense, which allows you to see what kinds of files are taking up space on you hard drive. I find this really helpful. It breaks it down, like so:

post-532255-0-19376200-1415900363.png

As for zPC Settings, there's the mentioned settings for background image. There are also several settings for Cortana. Perhaps you tech-savvy people will find the functioning Cortana deep within the system's files...?

post-532255-0-60833400-1415900497.png

post-532255-0-20644200-1415900740.png

Also, I just found out, OneDrive now offers to save screenshots, which I know it didn't do that before, so that's a big help.

post-532255-0-78482700-1415900498.png

One other thing I haven't heard mention is the Keyboard Language settings. I know this was present in Build 9860, I didn't check this in Build 9841, and frankly, I'm not about to reinstall that build just for this, but if you look in all the screenshots, you can see that the language settings have been moved into the Notification Tray, instead of just next to it like previously. In fact, it can't be moved from its place next to the date and time.

Icons have been changed, and I don't think they're too bad, though they could be better. I can't try out the animations, probably because of how old my PC is, but oh well. I didn't really like the animations from Build 9860, I prefered the ones from Build 9841, where the windows opened sliding down. It seemed to fit the design language. Overall, not a bad build, in my opinion.

I made a video of windows 10 boot from cold start up, you dont even see the loading screen it's that fast. Windows 10 for me loads  faster than 7 or 8/8.1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq0mqY85kfU

• Like 2

Welcome to the "fast" lane! :p

Hehe, I'm just soooooo impatient.  :laugh:

I made a video of windows 10 boot from cold start up, you dont even see the loading screen it's that fast. Windows 10 for me loads  faster than 7 or 8/8.1.

I'll have a play around tonight and see if I can sort it out. At the moment it's dramatically slower than my old 8.1 install, not that I restart all that often.

Anyone notice that the close icon on the titlebar of Metro apps is knobby?

Kind of interesting. What does a standard folder icon look like, if there is no content within?

Looks the same except closed. Surprised they didn't make it flat, it doesn't fit with the Office icon style they're using for everything.

Don't know if this existed either, but reading from the Hub app, here's the shortcut key for switching between desktops:

WinKey + Ctrl + Righ/Left Arrow Key

Now we can finally be productive with the multiple desktops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq0mqY85kfU

Wallpaper?

EDIT: Found it :)

http://bizhi.4493.com/uploads/allimg/140928/4-14092Q02228.jpg

Found another issue.
Some metro apps load, then become non-responsive pretty much straight away and minimizes to task bar. 
Clicking it will load the loading screen for the app, then it will auto minimize again.

This happens with a couple of apps, some seem to work fine, others, do not. :(

Is there a new icon for folders? I saw it in the blog post.

new_icons.png

HA I saw this too yesterday when using my comp and thought the display was ka-buggered only to realize its a new icon...

Apart from a couple of hiccups with Steam and some games I havn't had any big problems with the new build. I would go on record as to say each build seems to bring bigger and better things. 

Its only a small thing but the new icons really change everything. Im hoping the notification box and search box gets updated thou, thats my current biggest gripe.

this build seemed to fix my Catalyst Control Center crash....nice :)

Beyond that, I've noticed that several changes have been made to zPC Settings and PC Settings. In the regular PC Settings, as mentioned earlier, there is a new Storage Overview option in Storage Sense, which allows you to see what kinds of files are taking up space on you hard drive. I find this really helpful. It breaks it down, like so:

attachicon.gif2014-11-13.png

I really, really like the way that looks. Very organized.