It depends on a few things but mainly I will only pre-order a game if there is a deal to be had. 

I've said this a million times on this forum but I'll say it again, I refused to pre-order Destiny for ?45 that everywhere seemed to be selling it for. 2 days after release I found it for ?40 and with a further ?5 off it was bought. 2 days was all it took to find ?10 off.

• Like 1

It's only worth pre-ordering if you receive a decent perk for pre-ordering or are receiving a discount, last game i pre-ordered was WOW WoD only because i got a free level 90 character boost and an in-game mount.

I don't think physical copies really sell out these days, I prefer digital copies anyway, I like being able to download on demand uninstall and re-install steam games when i want without digging out CDs. My gaming PC and my Macbook don't even have optical drives.

It depends on a few things but mainly I will only pre-order a game if there is a deal to be had. 

I've said this a million times on this forum but I'll say it again, I refused to pre-order Destiny for ?45 that everywhere seemed to be selling it for. 2 days after release I found it for ?40 and with a further ?5 off it was bought. 2 days was all it took to find ?10 off.

Same, i preorded both sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizons 2 and i got both for ?45, i'm currently refusing to order Far Cry 4 as i can;t find a pre-order for under ?55.

I'd love preordering on EA Access and getting to play the game early and keep going at launch were it not for my gaming group on PC :/

Hope EA is cooking up a plan to let you buy once play anywhere with this, but we shall see.

How does that EA access work anyway? Can't really understand, It says $5 a month and I can play how much I want? Like in forever? Why in the world should I pay 60 for BF4 in that case? There's a catch somewhere right?

Even more that you can play games before they come out? Whaaaaat? Catch?

How does that EA access work anyway? Can't really understand, It says $5 a month and I can play how much I want? Like in forever? Why in the world should I pay 60 for BF4 in that case? There's a catch somewhere right?

Even more that you can play games before they come out? Whaaaaat? Catch?

EA Access is $5 a month or $30 for the year, it gives you access to a few things. 

• Games in the Vault - older EA games that you have full access to, no time limits and online multiplayer. However you stop paying, you're access to the games stops. If you buy a physical copy of the game or you renew your sub your save games will still be there. 
  • Early Access - Gives you a limited (usually time constrained) to new EA games a few days before release. Again if you buy the game after release, your progress will carry over. 
  • Discount - you get 10% off EA digital downloads and DLC. Self explanatory. 

Current games available in the vault are - BF4, NFL25, FIFA 14, Peggle 2, NFS Rivals and PvZ Garden Warfare. 

Whether it's a good deal or not is down to an individual. It may not be for you. Hopefully that gives you an insight ;)

Same, i preorded both sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizons 2 and i got both for ?45, i'm currently refusing to order Far Cry 4 as i can;t find a pre-order for under ?55.

Amazon have it for ?42 :)

I have unlimited ammo and grenades in Halo: TMCC because I pre-ordered. I'm pretty freaking happy right now.

I preordered digitally but didn't seem to get this :(

Digital Xbox One?

Oh, no. Whoops

Edit - Don't know how frowned upon it is but the Indian Xbox store have it for around ?35

Oh, no. Whoops

yeah, i went and looked and edited my post at the same time as you posted :p

Shame that, i really don;t want to get disc based games any more. Good price for a disc though!

yeah, i went and looked and edited my post at the same time as you posted :p

Shame that, i really don;t want to get disc based games any more. Good price for a disc though!

Ha yeah, Amazon are pretty good with their prices. 

For H: TMCC I actually bought a ?50 card for ?42.65, paid the ?45 on the Xbox store which has left me with ?5 to go towards something else in the future.

I preordered digitally but didn't seem to get this :(

Three stores (Best Buy, MSFT Store, and Gamestop) all have 3 different skulls for your preorder. You'd have to go to Gamestop to preorder Halo in order to get the Bandana Skull which is unlimited everything where as the MSFT has the Boom Skull.

e5te5.jpg

This is one part of the problem: people getting game perks just for pre-ordering, requiring zero skills. That does not improve the game industry at all, just fills the pockets of gready devs houses and increases the chances of poorly made games being released.

Was that a digital preorder or in-store?

In store at Gamestop and I didn't worry about the 20GB update, it was already on the disk, it did a good install.

In store at Gamestop and I didn't worry about the 20GB update, it was already on the disk, it did a good install.

Really? I thought the update was a mandatory install? Even those who digitally ordered had to download/install the update.

Really? I thought the update was a mandatory install? Even those who digitally ordered had to download/install the update.

Only to Digital I suppose, I don't really get what the whole update's about. I think the only benefit to digital pre-orders is getting to play the game on the spot before disk based players.

When there are $10 promo codes like Best Buy and or Microsoft have been running lately, hell yeah, I like saving money when possible.

I tend to know what games I will like, and do not go on reviews most of the time anyway. Only time it has really been an issue has been with Driveclub and AC:Unity, and I only preordered DriveClub since I saved $10, did not preorder Unity, so yeah, preorders work for me as I only get the games I want, and then I do not have to worry about when they are released, etc. I will just get them.

I also do not do digital unless there is a good enough deal. Both DriveClub and The Evil Within I saved $10 each, so that was a good enough deal.

If there is not a deal, I always go physical, and here is why.

I was able to get COD Advance Warfare for $40 thanks to a $20 credit code I got from MS for a mixup on never getting my $10 preorder promo code from Forza Horizon 2. They gave me $20 for their mistake. Awesome. I saw COD was running a $15 preorder credit incentive, so I took my $20 code and put it towards COD:AW, to bring it down to $43 with tax.

I beat the SP in COD, checked out the MP and realized I had no interest.

Well on Weds I traded COD in at Best Buy for $44 (I also get 10% trade in credit due to their Games Unlocked Club). So I basically played AW for free when it comes to money spent out of my own pocket.

Even better I will still get the $15 promotional credit from MS.

So yeah, until digital can even come close to offering the type of deal I got above, I will stay very far away from it.

Not only that, I prefer having games I can let people borrow, etc.

I think Digital is actually the biggest rip off in gaming right now. Convenient? Sure. The best use of one's money? Absolutely not. It also eliminates any ability whatsoever to trade a game in or let a friend or family member borrow a game.

• Like 2

It is only worth preordering a game now if it is either financially beneficial or if you must have access to the game the minute that it is released.

Steam certainly has preordering benefits - usually between 10-25% off, which usually disappears the moment the game is officially released.

There was certainly a point back in the day though - I remember preordering Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for PS2 from Electronic Boutique - it was very hard to get a physical copy for a couple of weeks otherwise; albeit digital distribution and eBay etc changed that.  

Nope. Not unless there's a deal to be had.

The 15 GB update was not on the disc.

Only if they offer a discount.

Or free DLC, or some bonus only available with Pre-order? I would pre-order from and independent as well. Sometimes they may need the cash up front to finish. I'd pre-order Abe's New & Tasty for PC if that would help finish it quicker.