Depends on the game, and what's offered.. in general, nope. But every now and then there's a jem out there.. But it's not wrong, a lot of games fail to meet the hype, or even just good gameplay.. It's a shame :(

A more important question is, why are people buying games based on marketing hype and other peoples opinions??

Because that's how the majority decide to buy anything in today's world. Whether smartphones, headphones or clothing, its not necessarily how good the product is, its how much you can make a consumer believe that it's the best thing ever and that their life is incomplete without it.

Nope. Not unless there's a deal to be had.

The 15 GB update was not on the disc.

From what I read it was only required if you wanted to play multiplayer.

All I did was install the game to my xbox and it only took 10-20 minutes, and then I was off to playing Halo. Spartan Ops should be coming around in December for Halo 4.

All I did was install the game to my xbox and it only took 10-20 minutes, and then I was off to playing Halo. Spartan Ops should be coming around in December for Halo 4.

Then you must have cancelled the update process, as it's definitely not on the disc.

Buried in Friday's official "gone gold" announcement was word that the Xbox One's remastered edition of the first four Halo games, which is currently available for pre-loading, would actually be bigger than a standard 50GB Blu-ray disc. Rather than splitting the 65GB across two discs for the retail edition, Microsoft has decided to include 45GB of data in the box and require players to download a 20GB day one "content update" to access "some features and multiplayer content."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/a-huge-halo-master-chief-collection-clocks-in-at-65gb/

Later reduced to 15 GB but still too much data for a single or double layer to contain.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 15 GB includes Spartan Ops and only requires a further, incremental update to unlock. Wishful thinking probably.

Then you must have cancelled the update process, as it's definitely not on the disc.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/10/a-huge-halo-master-chief-collection-clocks-in-at-65gb/

Later reduced to 15 GB but still too much data for a single or double layer to contain.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 15 GB includes Spartan Ops and only requires a further, incremental update to unlock. Wishful thinking probably.

Weird, I was having a good time right after the install, either my internet was fast as usual or I didn't notice. ?\_(?)_/?

:( Last week was horrid for us gamers. Games broken(Assassin's Creed Unity and Halo The Master Chief Collection) + delays. 

When there are $10 promo codes like Best Buy and or Microsoft have been running lately, hell yeah, I like saving money when possible.

I tend to know what games I will like, and do not go on reviews most of the time anyway. Only time it has really been an issue has been with Driveclub and AC:Unity, and I only preordered DriveClub since I saved $10, did not preorder Unity, so yeah, preorders work for me as I only get the games I want, and then I do not have to worry about when they are released, etc. I will just get them.

I also do not do digital unless there is a good enough deal. Both DriveClub and The Evil Within I saved $10 each, so that was a good enough deal.

If there is not a deal, I always go physical, and here is why.

I was able to get COD Advance Warfare for $40 thanks to a $20 credit code I got from MS for a mixup on never getting my $10 preorder promo code from Forza Horizon 2. They gave me $20 for their mistake. Awesome. I saw COD was running a $15 preorder credit incentive, so I took my $20 code and put it towards COD:AW, to bring it down to $43 with tax.

I beat the SP in COD, checked out the MP and realized I had no interest.

Well on Weds I traded COD in at Best Buy for $44 (I also get 10% trade in credit due to their Games Unlocked Club). So I basically played AW for free when it comes to money spent out of my own pocket.

Even better I will still get the $15 promotional credit from MS.

So yeah, until digital can even come close to offering the type of deal I got above, I will stay very far away from it.

Not only that, I prefer having games I can let people borrow, etc.

I think Digital is actually the biggest rip off in gaming right now. Convenient? Sure. The best use of one's money? Absolutely not. It also eliminates any ability whatsoever to trade a game in or let a friend or family member borrow a game.

Best preorder story ever!!!

Never have and never will. Just don't see the point in it, the whole thing is just bananas to me

preorder bonuses usually just mean i should wait for the GOTY edition as the bonuses are usually different per retailer and rarely anything worth wild and many times are just items to easy mode a game or 1st part. I play games to enjoy them not to finish they as quickly as possible and move on.

• Like 2

Never have and never will. Just don't see the point in it, the whole thing is just bananas to me

preorder bonuses usually just mean i should wait for the GOTY edition as the bonuses are usually different per retailer and rarely anything worth wild and many times are just items to easy mode a game or 1st part. I play games to enjoy them not to finish they as quickly as possible and move on.

+1. The pre-order DLCs that are different for each retailer are annoying as hell. When the pre-order bonuses are extra content (story DLCs, soundtracks, game art, etc.) and you're going to buy the game at full price anyway then sometimes it's worth it though.

• 2 weeks later...

I wait out 2-3 months when the game is in bargain bin and can be got for 50-60% cheaper.

By that time, some crippling initial bugs and performance optimizations are fixed so it is double profit.

I don't do online multi-player any way.

• Like 1

I just think these games should be tested and stress-tested to the max before release.

sony, Microsoft, and all other publishers should take it upon themselves to do this. 

Game needs to be finished, polished and bug free before I'll buy it.

thats was the old paradigm, until game dev realized that they could release very buggy game and could get away with it, with possibility of online patches.

thats was the old paradigm, until game dev realized that they could release very buggy game and could get away with it, with possibility of online patches.

As Ramsey would say, someone needs to enforce standards.

I would say no.

When F1 2014 came out one of my colleagues pre ordered it and he didn't receive it until 4 days after the release date whereas I went to the shop after work and bought it.

I think now that things are moving towards digital downloads less people are buying the physical games. I still like having the physical games though :)

Late the game, but preordering really is only good if you want to get the special offers from whoever you preview for.  Like a special gun, character, skin...that sort of thing.  Other than that, there really isnt any game that is sold out on launch day these days.

Late the game, but preordering really is only good if you want to get the special offers from whoever you preview for.  Like a special gun, character, skin...that sort of thing.  Other than that, there really isnt any game that is sold out on launch day these days.

ah that's actually a good point. My post above yours about F1 and my colleague, what you said is the exact reason he did it but it was due to cost. It was ?5 cheaper to pre order after delivery.

No its not worth it at all.

You can download a game whenever you want. 

So what I use to do is on the day of release I'd go and watch a bunch of Youtube videos of the game I was interested in and if I liked the look of it I would download it.

Unless you care about the extra things you may or may not be able to get with some pre-ordered games but I never saw that as a big deal anyway.