Your thoughts

what are your thoughts having a career as a front end vs sys admin vs software tester(QA)? how is the current market on these and how do you see them in the future job market? and if you were to pick as a career, which one would you choose and why?

There's always a job for a good admin, the trick is to use that position to get into higher levels of management.

The BOFH days are over, play nice.

• Like 2

There's always a job for a good admin, the trick is to use that position to get into higher levels of management.

The BOFH days are over, play nice.

there's always a job for admin but BOFH days are over?

there's always a job for admin but BOFH days are over?

Sure, a highly qualified administrator is a great asset to any company. A highly qualified administrator with excellent people skills is a good candidate to get promoted to upper management. 

Sure, a highly qualified administrator is a great asset to any company. A highly qualified administrator with excellent people skills is a good candidate to get promoted to upper management. 

oh, i thought that what you said contradicted the sentence after where you mention "bohf days are over" - i thought that standed for bastard operator from hell? lol maybe i wasn't getting your analogy

oh, i thought that what you said contradicted the sentence after where you mention "bohf days are over" - i thought that standed for bastard operator from hell? lol maybe i wasn't getting your analogy

Yeah, I meant that you can't be a bastard operator from hell anymore, you need people skills.

First of all, awful thread title...

However, I do think it takes a different personality to be effective in each of these roles.  You are either going to make a great Systems Admin, or a great QA, or a great Front End Developer - I don't think the same person can get the same level of fulfilment out of all three.

You just need to find what you are good at....

I recently had to get back into the job market for SysAdmin.

One of the things I mentioned was the very fact I could communicate with the exec, the layman, the laborer, and the IT staff - all on their own level.

Being rude, and talking over people just to prove you're smart is ... dumb.  I had to fire a tech a while back because he would purposely pull that crap (like mentioning overclocking to a 75 year old grandmother who complained her laptop was slow and she couldn't get email from her grand kids)

I think that ability helped me a lot.  If you want to be more than a sysadmin forever (like IT Director) you have to be smart...and effective at dealing with people, not just puters.