Apple TV alternatives

Very interesting about the Nexus Player, I did not know it.

Seems Roku 3 is the best option out there, however the Raspberry PI with XMBC seems also interesting...

Also on macrumors.com buyer's guide they mention that probably Apple is working on a brand new generation that will change averything all over again. The bad thing here is that nobody can confirm that and the release time is totally unknown.

I almost thought about mentioning it and then I remebered why I didn't buy one, lack of Ethernet port is ######ing stupid.

Say what you will but any serious streamer would be wired up. The lag time I get on wireless on my chrome cast Apple TV and rpi is just dumb. I have n and AC routers and it's still useless. I know wireless isn't perfect that's why at least a 10/100 port is doable. But apparently google thought it wasn't a good idea, idiots.

One of my four Apple TVs is wi-fi only.  It streams my media server movies and all of the built in apps just fine with zero lag.  But then, I'm also using an Asus AC-1900 router.

One of my four Apple TVs is wi-fi only.  It streams my media server movies and all of the built in apps just fine with zero lag.  But then, I'm also using an Asus AC-1900 router.

ive ran just my apple tv on its own N and AC router and compared it to 10/100 ethernet. I dont like the delay. Its just me. Also, I have the ability to wire it so why not wire it. A wired connection is much better then a crowded wireless network.

I have a roku tv, a roku 3 and a roku 1 and roku is the best "streaming box" :) very easy to set up, nice UI, and lots of 'channels'. Even my hubby's dad that can barely use a phone can use a roku and find content. Also VERY STABLE. not a single issue I've had with them. Rock solid and they have a great QA team :) Unlike some other companies (rolleyes)

Ther roku 3 and tv have dual band wifi and the roku 1 is single band. I have the roku tv TCL 40inch in the living room hooked up to an HTPC as well and the roku 3 is hooked up to my office TV and I got two living rooms going on now :)