Router Strength Through TV

Adapter settings? I am in the router settings.

Here's mine and what you should look for:

post-361542-0-78524700-1417309568.png

On my Netgear A6210 it's a little different:

post-361542-0-89716900-1417309885.png

Yea but that would be per computer....

Anyway...I will keep playing with it...also, maybe I will just pick their new one.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/linksys-linksys-tri-band-wireless-ac3200-gigabit-router-ea9200-4c-ea9200-4c/10340679.aspx?path=ad995269ffa4b26478d12c65045412d3en02

for that price, I could probably sell my WRT1900AC for close to that, and pay the difference. hmmmm

So I just fixed up the wires, and placed the antennas properly behind the TV, and I am getting 160Mbps on my iPhone 6 without issue.

Now what I haven't told you is I pay for 150Mbps connection, but every download, every test I do on my hardwired computers, I always get 200Mbps.

The problem I see, is that I keep testing my iMac, and it varies all the time, I just tested it (same place I tested my iPhone) and it only got 40, sometimes 80, and once or twice it can get 120...but its all over the place.

Something I think is wrong with the iMac, no clue though (any settings I should check, I don't know MacOS as well as Windows or mobile).

Also, if there a better tool than speedtest.net and their apps for testing?

As now I keep testing all devices, and they are fairly all over the place... I can get up to 100 sometimes on Nexus 9, between 100 and 170 on iPhone, and so forth.;

So I dunno.

Well those speedtest can be misleading.. They for one open multiple streams.. So you don't pay for 200, and speedtest reports 200 doesn't mean you really have 200 ;) I do read that some android phones have problems with some of those speedtests, etc.

So what do you really have from your isp? Test say here from a wired box..

http://www.measurementlab.net/tools/ndt

Here is test from my pc

NDT test run towards M-Lab server

ndt.iupui.mlab2.ord02.measurement-lab.org

RTT between client and M-Lab server

11 ms

DOWNLOAD SPEED

59.6 Mbps

UPLOAD SPEED

8.4 Mbps

Your best test of your wireless would be staying inside your network.. Where its possible to see max values and not limited by what your internet speed is, unless you were on google fiber or something ;) Iphones and apple in general make it difficult because your stuck in their sandbox, and lots of tools and access is restricted. There is a iperf client for ios, android, etc. but they want like $99 for it - they must be on crack ;)

Apple is known to have wifi problems with non apple equipment, what settings do you have on your imac? What does it show for PHY mode on your connection, it shows AC? If you really want to know what your wifi can do on your mobile - your best best is to get some app that allows you to copy files, and move a file over your internal network to your device.

So for example my ipad, older 3 model..

post-14624-0-32469900-1417357324.png

this is using an app called remotefiles.. Easy way to browse windows shares from iphone or ipad. As you can see its pulling over a file at about 35mbps.. It only has 1x1, so max raw it can do is about 72, I don't think they ever enabled 40mhz on ipad 3?? I show the data rate its connected at 65, which points to 20mhz only.

So 35ish real world is pretty freaking good..

This is how I would best test your wifi speeds, real world moving a file..

I don't understand that test you referred too.

NDT test run towards M-Lab server
ndt.iupui.mlab2.yul01.measurement-lab.org

RTT between client and M-Lab server
31 ms

DOWNLOAD SPEED
29.1 Mbps

UPLOAD SPEED
16.4 Mbps

I clearly get more then 30Mbps, and as I said, I also do download (usenet, guaranteed max connection) and I always get 200Mbps)..

Wireless is the only problem.

Well clearly your not getting 200mbps with 1 stream.. How many connections do you make using usenet?

That test makes 1 tcp connection to 1 server, and you don't get anywhere near 200..

Yes speedtests can be done differently. speedtest.net uses 4 streams I do believe, while the one I linked too only uses 1. This can make for a big difference in reported speed depending. So for example ftp normally unless doing multisegment is going to be 1 session/stream. Normally http, is suppose to limit to 4 per server, etc.

Stuff like your usenet will make multiple connections to max out the pipe, p2p is going to be lots of different sessions, etc. A single tcp stream quite often can not fill the pipe because your throughput is going to be lessthan or = to RWIN (receive window size/RTT (round trip time)

So depending on the latency between you, your window size, any packet loss, etc. etc.. your going to have a max speed you could reach per stream. If you can not fill the pipe with 1 stream then you can create more, etc.

There are other factors as well.. But doing the math to figure out how much traffic you can move between point A to B is pretty simple stuff.

So what exact flavor of android are you running? Nexus 9 is new and released with 5 right.. I don't have any play time with that, some wifi problems with 4.4 where location services battery save, wifi optimization... Its really hard to say what the exact problem your having with specific devices, etc. Without seeing a sniff of the traffic to see what could be causing the problem. My son's nexus doesn't have AC.. I got the AC AP so I would be ready to play with it when started getting AC devices - but don't have any of yet to play with. Only my pc card, and usb dongle.

If your having problems - try fluctuations in speed, try dropping back to N, on 5 and then 2.4 and see if you get better results..

I have mine next to my TV.

It's not bad with speed but as I live in an old house, upstairs at the far end of the property is a struggle and none outside in the garden.

• 2 weeks later...

How about this, related but different.

My server (which is now off a 30 foot cable) gets maxed out downloads (usenet) every-time, I have tested this quite a bit. Yet speedtest (which works 99% of the time properly for all other devices) is giving me very slow speeds.

Now you said its done differently, but over the years Speedtest normally gives me a proper estimate of my connection speed. Wireless can cause issues (as seen in this thread), but always on wired I get my actual download speed, unless there is actually an issue, and I can normally figure out.

Right now its showing 30Mbps while I am actually getting 200Mbps.....any thoughts on this?

I am only worried a bit, because the cable is stuffed behind the baseboards, and maybe could have got a nail in it (though I made sure to be careful). Yes I am getting my download speeds, just its weird to have SpeedTest show this wrong...

Not sure how much you use speedtest or read about it, but its not odd for it to give odd results. Did you try a different server? So there are multiple hops along the way to one of their servers from where you are, its quite possible there is issue between you and then, or on their server or even on the client, etc.

While it is a quick way to check your connection - it sure is not the get all to end all tests of your networks performance..