Router Strength Through TV

Perfect setup my ass -- as you can clearly see I get more than 200 without breaking a sweat.. And your not talking perfect setup, like I said my card is under the desk ;)

post-14624-0-39442900-1417267361.jpg

I mentioned the change to your clients before I knew what they were - ie if you has a N 1x1 card in your laptop.. Or for all we knew your PC was wifi and could of changed to this for your card http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEAC68/

So clearly the iphone 6 should be able to do 200.. Or better than 80 you would think.. And you never mention what you go 120 with? I have seen videos of iphone 6 doing 278mbps.

Maybe you have setting problems? What are your settings - are you even connecting via AC? Or still N? Did you have 80mhz enabled? Are you using 40 or 20mhz channels?

Here's how 802.11ac performs with an Aruba AP225 4 3x3 mimo  x 5dBi  dual band internal antennas with 21dBm output power 

Note: Speeds are in MBYTES per sec. x8 to get the bits

Netgear A6200 in the same room:

post-361542-0-96646100-1417277034.png

And the Netgear has been pretty abused and gets passed around to a lot of different computers and such and isn't the best adapter to get but it's still decent.

I did trade it for a 6210 and I'll do tests with another AP in the same room soon as I get a wired server NIC for the HTPC downstairs. (NIC built in is only 10/100 so I ordered an Intel server NIC that has dual interfaces for LACP)

I also have an ACA1 USB 3 and it gets 36Mbytes/sec

So that is a 2 stream usb device.. And your pulling 30MBps or x8 = 240Mbps.. So yeah there you go, yet another person showing that 200 is not that difficult.. And the OP is seeing at most 120.. Something is not write. An I doubt it has to do with it being behind the TV because he said he got 80 before..

I have a http://us.dlink.com/products/connect/wireless-ac1200-dual-band-usb-adapter/ I could plug in to my wifes laptop and give a test see..

If I put the aca1 in the same room it will definitly get more.. but it's 30 some ft away and it gets that good transfer rate even through some walls and such.

Both linked at 740 some Mbits/sec.

^ exactly.. And I do believe the OP is in the same room.. If you do a quick search I found this benchmark of ac usb adapters..

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2090556/tested-we-push-six-802-11ac-wi-fi-usb-adapters-to-the-limit.html

post-14624-0-76817800-1417287229.png

And test from around a house and all seem over 200mbps without too much trouble. So since all the OP devices are fairly modern devices, iphone 6, nexus 9 that support ac and have more than 1 spatial stream to play with I have to assume they could do more if not atleast his 200mbps internet connection. I have to assume its a router configuration problem, location problem - interference maybe from other wifi in the area. What channel you on? What other channels are in use in the are? Maybe he is running 20mhz channels or something? I would set his router to 80 for his AC and see what he gets then.

Yes, same room (sometimes different room).

I guess I will play around with the channel settings. What is a good app for testing wireless signals in the area? I guess I would need it for MacOS?

Also, I actually have not tested my Nexus 9 or iPhone 6 since changing, only the iMac.

Before I change my channels (waiting to see what others are using in the area, my question about apps)?

I changed my Channel Width from Auto to 40mhz...and its slower. My iPHone 6 on Auto was 134Mbps on 40hz its 95Mbps...?

What flavor of os x are you running - wif diag has built in scanner that will give you all the details you need. Or you could pay $20 for istumbler, or something like this would work too - free

http://www.netspotapp.com/

You could use kismac, the tools are quite varied.. Lots of choices - I would fire up the built in wifi diagnostics to start with, it will show info about the network your connected what channel, the others in the area and their signal strength, etc.. What channels they are on..

AC should be using 80 to be honest. You sure your not just connecting via N on 5ghz. I would break out your SSIDs so you know what your connecting too.

I will try these apps.

Though note, my router did not have an option for 80, 40 was the highest. And why would it go down in speed if you are saying higher is better? Or is that more un-certainty about my location?

if your noisy area, then sure 40/80 could be worse than 20, etc.. But 80 allows the most bandwidth with AC.

From the faq on that router..

3. Does the WRT1900AC support the 80 MHz channel width on the 5 GHz frequency?

Yes, the 5 GHz band supports the 80 MHz channel width provided that the Channel Width dropdown option is set to Auto. There is currently no option to select the 80 MHz only setting.

You have got to love crap interfaces that don't give you control.. I would put 3rd party on that as soon as there is support, which is in question from the stuff I have seen.

Using NetSpot, I am the only person on 5Ghz band, and I am on channel 157 (it shows 157+1)...

I do notice using this app it loses signal every 15 seconds or so? Not sure what that is about... Should I still change channel? (36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161 are the options).

Also Network Mode gives (mixed, A/N or A only) I assume A mean AC? Should I change that, its on Mixed right now. And again, for Mhz, its auto, 20 or 40....why would there not be 80?

It should have more than one channel displayed on the app like 157+161 or something like that.

1 is not a valid 5Ghz channel. 1 is a 2.4 Ghz channel.

it would have to say 157+161 for a valid channel for that.

Here's how my networks look on Acrylic Wifi and you can see it actually shows ac on the list.

post-361542-0-95971400-1417305988.png

Exactly, but maybe the +1 is just how it shows that its using the channel above vs say -1 where it uses the channel below?

Make sure your actually connecting at AC, only enable WPA2 and yeah if your devices are only the 1s you listed, iphone, nexus9 and imac - I would turn of G, and even maybe N and just run pure AC..

Ok now WTF

All my settings are the same, except I have tried different channels, but I did now disable the 2.4Ghz 100% and it seems my speeds are all over the place during the test, and now my iMac can't even get over 40 it would appear... removing 2.4Ghz WiFi couldn't have caused that?

I will keep playing, and yea, some custom firmware might be helpful.

So you were using 2.4 and not 5? Can you not even set a different ssid for 2.4 and 5 in that router?

Do you have beamforming? Some apple products seem to have issues with, not even sure if that router supports it?

If you were connecting at 2.4, then clearly you were not AC.. AC is only 5ghz..

NOOO!!

I had both networks setup for use and enabled, 2.4 and 5Ghz....I was indeed using 5Ghz, I was just saying I disabled 2.4 in the settings since I don't use it, thought it may help.

But now I switch everything back, Auto, Mixed, Auto for all settings and its back to stable, and max 120Mbps.... So I don't know what thats all about..

And how are you indeed sure your using 5ghz.. Do you have different ssid for each band? If you have them all under the same ssid, the client picks - and its quite possible the client would pick the stronger signal 2.4, etc..

Different SSID name, and now that 2.4 is disabled, its the only option.

I was reading DD-WRT forums and it seems like this firmware is just bad...some of the testers say its a 20% increase in speed with the custom firmware, but I can't see any official support yet.

Adapter settings? I am in the router settings.

didn't belkin buy linksys awhile back? Firmware was bad enough when it was linksys ;) Looks like there has been a 4 whole updates, and last one was july. Well they have the new AC2400 and 3200 out, so why fix the older model..

hmm they have newer AC models out? I thought this was supposed to be their priced possession lol

Kinda upset about that, I paid almost $300 for this thing, and sure I haven't had any "real" issues with it, but obviously as you point out, I ain't even getting my actual speeds.

Also, why do they need 2400 and 3200, when I doubt anyone really has speeds that high.