Silly 3Mb "CD" Drive on USB Stick

I have a USB stick that I found but when I plug it in, a new CD drive appears, like it's an external drive.

It's part of the USB Stick but a format, even deleting the volume in Acronis Disk Director won't format the stick completely and make a brand new volume of the true space.  There's some sort of install file on there.

Is there anything I can do to force it to blank over the whole lot or is it split forever?

Thanks

I have a USB stick that I found but when I plug it in, a new CD drive appears, like it's an external drive.

It's part of the USB Stick but a format, even deleting the volume in Acronis Disk Director won't format the stick completely and make a brand new volume of the true space.  There's some sort of install file on there.

Is there anything I can do to force it to blank over the whole lot or is it split forever?

Thanks

got another computer/laptop you can test the usb stick on to see if you get the same problem?

I hate when vendors do stuff like that with USB sticks... I had a   few from VeriSign that were set up like CD Drives when mounted... could never partition them back even though they where 1GB sticks, they had a 100MB CD when mounted

this isn't a U3 usb stick is it? I know the U3 software created a little virtual cd drive to emulate encryption

if it is you should be able to use the Launch Pad removal tool from here http://u3.sandisk.com/ to remove that cd partition

It just says the size on it, but the CD drive is a U3.

At 512Mb it's not really worth it but good to know for the future and will try it out.

"I have a USB stick that I found but when I plug it in, a new CD drive appears"

I really didn't catch this part about found before, where exactly did you find it? A hackers trick is to sometimes leave stuff like this outside companies (parking lot) and hoping members of the company plug them in, and run/open stuff on it or auto play is enabled, etc.

Or did you find it in your draw, and you had just forgot you had it, that sort of thing?