Hard restart = Windows boot manager disappears

Hi.

Odd happening. When I preform a hard reset (holding the power button, or more recently, a power outage) the "Windows Boot Manager" boot option doesn't appear in my BIOS. This of course causes a Win 8 BSOD if I would try to boot. After several CTRL+ALT+DEL the option appears again in BIOS and everything is fine.

Any ideas why this would happen or how to prevent it?  it's great that it fixes itself but it's a very frustrating 5 minutes  :cry:

Thanks!

could be something to do with the bad shut down, not sure how windows or bios detects this but, if you hibernate the computer, those options usually don't show up in the bios either, a similar detection might be happening when the computer is shut down like that rather than selecting to shut down.

Warning: I take no responsibility if you stuff up your system by using my advices in this post. I do not guarantee the correctness of any of the points I make here.

Based on your description, it sounds like you have a UEFI based system. UEFI systems rely on a file called BOOTX64.EFI located in /EFI/BOOT/ on the first FAT32 partition on each of your storage devices (hard disks, flash drives etc). Your BIOS UEFI Setup utility would normally detect this file for each of your storage devices including USB flash drives if plugged in and will automatically show a boot entry for each. If the boot entry isn't visible in the list, the only logical explanation I can think of is a currupted file system / unclean partition caused by the force-restart. I suggest you run a chkdsk on your boot partition to check your file system for errors. Even if chkdsk does not report errors, it often fixes errors -- based on my personal experience ---. To get access to your boot FAT32 partition, you will need to assign it a drive letter using the WIndows Disk Management utility.

Hi.

Odd happening. When I preform a hard reset (holding the power button, or more recently, a power outage) the "Windows Boot Manager" boot option doesn't appear in my BIOS. This of course causes a Win 8 BSOD if I would try to boot. After several CTRL+ALT+DEL the option appears again in BIOS and everything is fine.

Any ideas why this would happen or how to prevent it?  it's great that it fixes itself but it's a very frustrating 5 minutes  :cry:

Thanks!

Tried applying a BIOS update?