Windows 10 now or wait ... ?

They do support it. It gets the same security updates and I've had close to zero problems with it.

Well, I mean supporting as a consumer product, of course it is under development and sees a lot of work done on it, but it's not supported as something you can install on your machine and get the level of quality you'd expect from a Microsoft product. It's a use at your own risk thing. That said, it's pretty amazing that even such early preview products are reliable enough that many people don't notice any problems, that says a lot about code quality and QA within Microsoft.

I'm very happy with the Technical Preview so far.

I initially installed it because I needed to install Visual Studio CE that requires Windows 8.1 and I did not want to use Win8.

I did not encounter any big issue so far except some graphic glitches in the task bar.

If you're a technically minded person and know how to fix things when they break, just go ahead and try it out. Using it as your main OS might still be a bit risky, be sure to make frequent backups of anything. I'd recommend using something else as your primary OS (Windows 7, a Linux distro like Kubuntu etc.), especially for important stuff.

W10 works OK -- except for bugging me to activate, Firefox does not work completely right, things like Control Panel are well hidden, and worst of all, Bluetooth is totally non-functioning. :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

If you're using a legally obtained build and it wants activation, the key is floating around the Microsoft help forum. I had that, too. I installed the first one (9841?) from insider.windows.com and the rest came through over the air. Nothing from a torrent or anything like that. But why pirate what's basically free? Torrents can be more reliable as far as the technology, but I had no problem doing it Microsoft's way. And I still needed to activate, though the first code I found was fine. I think it's supposed to do it automatically, but that part can be skipped by the installer and then you have to do it manually. Nobody really seems to know.

I would say wait but it seems like you already jumped in. 9860 has a nasty Explorer bug most people just ignore. I'd almost call it a deal breaker. I didn't back up any of my Steam games because I'm a dodo (baby sister's word for dummy), but now I'm wiser, all Steam games I download get backed up straight away. I'm about to get that 8TB hard drive, so in other words I'm not worried about storage. Better to restore in 10 minutes than download in a few hours. So now all re-downloaded Steam games are backed up. No longer worried about a reinstall... I just hold out hoping Microsoft's going to fix this Explorer bug... They're probably waiting until later though. Oh well, it's on me, they do plainly state not to install on any important machines, and I did exactly that. Just don't wanna go back to 7 or 8.1. Not a big fan of going back. Flashed a KitKat ROM on my phone (been running Lollipop for 6 weeks) and the whole time, I was just like, "nope, nope, nope, nope"... Don't go back. Always move forward. Fight through the bugs. At least that's my motto until my wife pushes me to get the computer working right again...

so any updates how how win10 treating you with the new build?

Running well, except for 3 bugs:

W 10 pesters me to activate -- I tried 2 different keys.

Windows Bluetooth does not function -- I had to use third-party software.

One and only one Search engine does not run right, under Firefox.

This one web site runs fine using IE 11.

Maybe the January build will improve things.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait until Consumer Preview at least. Windows 10 is much better experience but I can honestly say just skip Windows 8 or 8.1.
For now though just stick with Windows 7.

^ I'm not going to waste money on Win 8.

I've been using Windows 10 ver. 9888.

Hopefully the next consumer preview will install.

And hopefully Microsoft won't do something stupid with Windows 10 pricing, so that I will have to switch back to Windows 7 -- or have to find some other operating system altogether.