Android coming to Windows Phone 10

Errr. You see, what's happening here is people taking complaints of Tom as a facts. He's just saying that he thinks that Windows Mobile (the rumoured name for WP10), need to support Android apps. But that's just his opinion and probably not even the trueth either.

• Like 2

It would help Microsoft fill some of the app-gap. Not all though, because many apps rely on GMS. It's more like what Amazon is doing.

Though it does beg the question, why would anyone bother to write Windows apps then? There's simply no reason to when the same app will run on both Android and WP. Hell, Java even runs on iOS if you're willing to adopt Oracle technologies. Java is very quickly becoming the lingua franca of mobile software development.

Just give us the full web and the flash player (with click to play or whitelisting), So many apps are just there to provide the same basic functionality missing from mobile sites.

Take Mixlr, Any Catch up TV service and any live streaming service for example.

There isn't going to be Android apps on Windows. By this time next year, Windows Phone handsets will be running Windows 10. Tom Warren doesn't have any insider information, and hasn't confirmed anything.

There isn't going to be Android apps on Windows. By this time next year, Windows Phone handsets will be running Windows 10. Tom Warren doesn't have any insider information, and hasn't confirmed anything.

Well, he did confirm how much nonsense someone can just type all around without having a single basis on reality whatsoever.

• Like 4

There isn't going to be Android apps on Windows. By this time next year, Windows Phone handsets will be running Windows 10.

What difference does that make? Windows 10 or 11, etc, the underlying phone hardware is still capable of running Android. I don't see how yet another release of the same old Windows Phone is going to convince developers to make Metro apps. There's just no incentive. Android is Microsoft's best hope. It would also make it easier for Java developers because they can deploy on Windows without having to learn an obscure API that has little relevance outside of Metro.

Tom Warren doesn't have any insider information, and hasn't confirmed anything.

You sound very certain of that DM. Do you know something we don't?

What difference does that make? Windows 10 or 11, etc, the underlying phone hardware is still capable of running Android. I don't see how yet another release of the same old Windows Phone is going to convince developers to make Metro apps. There's just no incentive. Android is Microsoft's best hope. It would also make it easier for Java developers because they can deploy on Windows without having to learn an obscure API that has little relevance outside of Metro.

You sound very certain of that DM. Do you know something we don't?

Well Android apps worked out well for BlackBerry seeing as they are now in the number one spot ... oh, wait no they aren't!!!

Android apps on Windows 10 would kill off native development AND be admitting defeat. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I wanted Android apps then I would be using Android not Windows Phone.

The article that OP linked to is just a rumour being spread by The Verge (not the most credible site on the internet), nothing more. Android apps on WP have been a rumour ever since WP8.1 hit PfD and they will continue to be just that IMHO.

• Like 2

The Verge has always hated WP, and is the number 1 source for WP bs rumors. This is in line with the hate.

And no matter how I try to put my head around it, it would be the end of the WP/Windows Store ecosystem. Who would make apps for it when they could just do it for Android? So yeah, not happening.

Well Android apps worked out well for BlackBerry seeing as they are now in the number one spot ... oh, wait no they aren't!!!

Single OEM vs Multi-OEM vendor. That's like comparing Apples to Oranges. Blackberry's business model is identical to Apple's in that it makes money from an integrated solution (hardware and software). Microsoft's model on the other hand is the same as Google's. Build the largest possible userbase and in doing so make money from App stores, advertising, and services. The two couldn't be more dissimilar.

Android apps on Windows 10 would kill off native development AND be admitting defeat.

Well, it's either that or give up entirely. How long can Microsoft sustain a 2% marketshare OS? It's being given away for free and still users aren't buying it. Something has to give way here. Swallowing their pride might just save their platform.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I wanted Android apps then I would be using Android not Windows Phone.

That's all well and good, but you're not the target audience that Microsoft wants. You're part of the 2% that's happy with a huge app-gap.

Single OEM vs Multi-OEM vendor. That's like comparing Apples to Oranges. Blackberry's business model is identical to Apple's in that it makes money from an integrated solution (hardware and software). Microsoft's model on the other hand is the same as Google's. Build the largest possible userbase and in doing so make money from App stores, advertising, and services. The two couldn't be more dissimilar.

Well, it's either that or give up entirely. How long can Microsoft sustain a 2% marketshare OS? It's being given away for free and still users aren't buying it. Something has to give way here. Swallowing their pride might just save their platform.

That's all well and good, but you're not the target audience that Microsoft wants. You're part of the 2% that's happy with a huge app-gap.

What app gap? Do you realize how much of Android apps are garbage? Does Microsoft need to be #1 to be successful? How long has Linux had 1% market share, and still claims success?

• Like 2

The app

No it's not.

Well, it's either that or give up entirely. How long can Microsoft sustain a 2% marketshare OS? It's being given away for free and still users aren't buying it. Something has to give way here. Swallowing their pride might just save their platform

Forever. The OS is growing, slowly, but growing. Microsoft this christmas came ahead of brands like Sony and LG in smartphones sold, so why would they need to swallow their pride when they're ahead of competing companies? Take in consideration the massive fragmentation of Android, and 3% of marketshare in the US isn't bad at all. (33% running 4.4 and 5.0 is already out).

What about Linux and it's 1%? Is it a failure? It's given away for free!

Well, it's either that or give up entirely. How long can Microsoft sustain a 2% marketshare OS? It's being given away for free and still users aren't buying it. Something has to give way here. Swallowing their pride might just save their platform

The app gap isn't as huge as crappy sites like The Verge like to put it and it's closing everyday. And you already have quite a few exclusive apps on WP, why don't they never mention those?

The app

No it's not.

Forever. The OS is growing, slowly, but growing. Microsoft this christmas came ahead of brands like Sony and LG in smartphones sold, so why would they need to swallow their pride when they're ahead of competing companies?

The app gap isn't as huge as people like to put it, it's closing everyday.

Exactly, sales wise WP has and still is growing YoY and the figures this Christmas speak for themselves. Not only that but the app gap closed significantly with the release of several major apps and games and big updates to existing apps and games being released as well.

If Microsoft "swallowed their pride" and went with Android apps then that there would be two possible outcomes:

1. It would kill off WP entirely. Why would people move to WP to run Android apps when they already use those apps on Android?

2. It would make WP a successful platform (I find this option to be unlikely to happen)

This move would pretty much be admitting defeat, it would dilute Microsoft's brand, and support wouldn't even be a given. I'd be highly surprised if this happened.

What app gap?

LOL. You really believe that? Just shows how out of touch you are with the relative disparities between the various ecosystems. Then again, if you only ever use Windows, you wouldn't know what you're missing elsewhere ;)

Do you realize how much of Android apps are garbage?

At least when I do an app search in the Playstore, I'm not presented with a screen full of scam apps or insecure third party apps.

Does Microsoft need to be #1 to be successful?

It's not the position that counts, it's marketshare. And yes, they need to secure a large share to be successful (2% doesn't cut it). Their business model demands it. We're not talking about Apple, where profits come from hardware margins.

How long has Linux had 1% market share, and still claims success?

Linux doesn't need any marketshare. It's a FOSS (Free Open Source Software) project. It doesn't have to answer to shareholders or a board of directors. Besides, Android is Linux.

2. It would make WP a successful platform (I find this option to be unlikely to happen)

Android doesn't make anything sucessful. Just ask Sony. Fantastic devices, yet aren't even a shadow when compared to Samsung.

Android is sucessfull because until WP, you would either buy an iPhone or an Android. So, winner by default. And Google knows this, that is why they hate WP, they know it's their only real competition.

LOL. You really believe that? Just shows how out of touch you are with the relative disparities between the various ecosystems. Then again, if you only ever use Windows, you wouldn't know what you're missing elsewhere ;)

Clearly you never used WP 8.1...

At least when I do an app search in the Playstore, I'm not presented with a screen full of scam apps or insecure third party apps.

...and just confirmed it by saying that. I don't even... are you serious?

It's not the position that counts, it's marketshare. And yes, they need to secure a large share to be successful (2% doesn't cut it). Their business model demands it. We've not talking about Apple, where profits come from hardware margins.

WP is a goddamn sucessfull OS. What other OS managed to be the third most used OS? Which other OS constantly makes the media even talk about it? Which other OS gets it's "App available for WP" button on already many major websites.

All that it lacks is marketshare. And it's growing, slowly, but growing. It's fact. The only thing Microsoft has given up so far was competing with free (Android), and they solved it by making WP free. We can only see the impact of this decision next year.

Linux doesn't need any marketshare. It's a FOSS (Free Open Source Software) project. It doesn't have to answer to shareholders or a board of directors. Besides, Android is Linux.

Android is not Linux! Stop saying Android is open source. The Android we're talking about is completely useless without Google services. Google used the bad part of the open source dream: Make it free, gain a dominant position on the market, but control it using your proprietary services. It's borderline anti-competitive and monopolistic. And it worked.

• Like 3

It's not the position that counts, it's marketshare. And yes, they need to secure a large share to be successful (2% doesn't cut it). Their business model demands it. We've not talking about Apple, where profits come from hardware margins.

Well, considering you seem to be in love with Android I wouldn't expect you to know about other ecosystems. The malware and scam apps exist on all platforms but if you think that WP has more of them than Android then you're delusional.

You do realise that Microsoft bought the Devices and Services division of Nokia, don't you. That puts them in the same business model as Apple in that they make money off the hardware, why do you think WP is free for OEMs to use?

Android is NOT Linux and it would be nothing without the proprietary Google Services, that's the reason why Android is successful. If it was Linux then it would be languishing in the 1% market share that Linux has.

Android doesn't make anything sucessful. Just ask Sony. Fantastic devices, yet aren't even a shadow when compared to Samsung.

Android is sucessfull because until WP, you would either buy an iPhone or an Android. So, winner by default. And Google knows this, that is why they hate WP, they know it's their only real competition.

Which is exactly why I said it would be unlikely to happen ;)