Show us your Battlestations - 2015 Edition

And it's already changed, purchases an Asus MX279 27" LCD today:

RqjLvTw.jpg

So I have to explain this one I have not purchased a boxed PC for myself since the 1990's when I started building them.  Being a cheep person I just started collecting pieces for my new rig last week and was scoping craigslist for parts and accidently typed in intel L7 and was shocked that this misspelled Aienware ALX showed up at $400 obo and all I could think is this is a scam.  So I send the text out and I get a response he says that he is moving overseas in 3 days and just wants to sell it, he gives me the service tag and it is still under warranty and is loaded with every option from last year,  I7, 32gigs ram, 3tb, Nvidia Sli Video, you see where this is going its loaded.  Naturally all I could think is this is a scam or even better that if I take the hour drive I am going to be murdered because the guy had already sold his car and could not meet me, I had to go to his house.   Heck at this point I lowball offered him half and he said well if you can make it up here in 2 hours I will take it,  Big red flags went off in my head but I was willing to throw caution to the wind and agreed to meet him.  I grabbed the girlfriend and took the drive and showed up to the address and there was the dude who had about 15 people buying the entire contents of his house up and in his office was this completely still new looking Alienware running on his desk.  I handed him the cash, he wrote me a receipt and home I went with the new gaming rig.  It runs anything I have tossed at it thus far at Ultra settings.

IMG_0089_zpscicw85lp.jpg

DocD - I love hearing stories like this where people get unbelievable deals of a lifetime - great stuff.

I am hoping I will get an opportunity like this some time, but till then - I like hearing about others having good things happen to them  - congrats and enjoy !

• 2 weeks later...

Bestand_03-08-15_11_35_34.thumb.jpg.2b5c

Case: Corsair Carbide 330r (on the floor)
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H 
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.3 Ghz 
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i 
RAM: 8.00GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 @ 1600 MHz 
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Classified 
PSU: Corsair AX860i 80+ Platinum 
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 

Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2412M 
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 
Mouse: Logitech G700 
Mousepad: Corsair MM200 Extended 
Controller: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (Black) 
Headset: Logitech G35 
Speakers: Logitech Z506

Just bought the 40" 4K from Philips and what a fantastic replacement for my 27" 1440p, I was a little dubious at first as I have had a 28" 4K in the past and it felt like overhead for no real gain. At 40" though 4K really starts to make sense.

20150805_192103_zpskndo5ivj.jpg~original

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the 40" 4K from Philips and what a fantastic replacement for my 27" 1440p, I was a little dubious at first as I have had a 28" 4K in the past and it felt like overhead for no real gain. At 40" though 4K really starts to make sense.

Glad you got that wide screen going.... Love the neowin side skirts....

I was organizing cables.

What desk is that? that's a similar setup to what I want. I'm thinking about custom building a desk that would support up to 16 monitors in a curve fashion. I'd probably use a KVM to flip between them, but I'm not sure how that would work with monitors.

Woo!!

Help up by a duronic bracker on a 610mm extended pole :)

What stand brands are those, and were they difficult to install? I'm looking at a setup of using 8 per System. (maximum)

Minor upgrade.. new case, water pump, processor and moar RAM! Had an Intel i7 920 before, so I more than doubled my passmark score. The new LGA 2011v3 i7's are only about 40% faster, so I figured the $99 CPU upgrade was well worth it.

Lian-Li V359
2x 240mm Magicool Extreme Radiators
Phobya DC12-400 12Volt Pump & Alphacool Lighttower All-in-One Reservoir Combo
XSPC G1/4? Plug Temp Sensor (mounted on spare reservoir hole, and plugged into OPT1_TEMP on motherboard for monitoring)
5x 120mm Coolermaster R4-L2R-20CK-GP Fans
GOverlay 2.8" USB LCD for monitoring system
Intel Xeon x5670 @ 4GHz
24GB (6x4GB) Corsair Dominator GT Triple Channel DDR3-2000 RAM
Asus Rampage Gene III
EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0
Samsung Evo 840 250GB SSD
Zalman 500W Heatpipe Cooled PSU

Sick water cooling setup. I'll have to pick your brains for when I do my setup. 

<snip>

An odd thing to say.  Yes, 4K on a 40" gives the same PPI as 1440P on a 27" so is worth it for extra screen real estate, but that really isn't the point of 4K.  The point of 4K is to put 4 times us much detail in the same space.  4K on a 28" doesn't make sense, as the resolution is too low for the monitor (like 1080P on a 28") - 4K should be limited to 24" screens and a 27/28" screen should be 5K at the least to get the benefits of these new resolutions.

Nice set-up by the way.

An odd thing to say.  Yes, 4K on a 40" gives the same PPI as 1440P on a 27" so is worth it for extra screen real estate, but that really isn't the point of 4K.  The point of 4K is to put 4 times us much detail in the same space.  4K on a 28" doesn't make sense, as the resolution is too low for the monitor (like 1080P on a 28") - 4K should be limited to 24" screens and a 27/28" screen should be 5K at the least to get the benefits of these new resolutions.

Nice set-up by the way.

That partially answered one of my questions for monitors. I wanted to run multiple 4K monitors, from 4 to 8. However, the space of 27/28" monitors is absurd, even with just having the 3 I have work. It takes up almost all my desk space. To push 4 - 8 4K monitors, how much GFX power we talking, SLI'd 980s?

I'll be shifting from the 28" 4Ks to the 24" 4K, based off what you said. That drops the cost of my PC from $7500 to about $4000, with W/Cing, Monitors and Peripherals. 

Would you run 24" or 23"?

That partially answered one of my questions for monitors. I wanted to run multiple 4K monitors, from 4 to 8. However, the space of 27/28" monitors is absurd, even with just having the 3 I have work. It takes up almost all my desk space. To push 4 - 8 4K monitors, how much GFX power we talking, SLI'd 980s?
I'll be shifting from the 28" 4Ks to the 24" 4K, based off what you said. That drops the cost of my PC from $7500 to about $4000, with W/Cing, Monitors and Peripherals. 

Would you run 24" or 23"?

It depends how close you are going to sit to them.  I think as close to or more than 200PPI is where you want to be.  The 27" 5K screens are 218PPI.  Typically 24" 4K screens are 185PPI, so a 23" 4K screen would be a little better.

It depends how close you are going to sit to them.  I think as close to or more than 200PPI is where you want to be.  The 27" 5K screens are 218PPI.  Typically 24" 4K screens are 185PPI, so a 23" 4K screen would be a little better.

Yeah, you kind of lost me, haha. I'm going to have them in an octagon shape, well half. I was also thinking about stacking them on top of each other, 4 wide, 2 high. Not sure if I'll do all 8, thinking 4 will be enough.

20150805_192103_zpskndo5ivj.jpg~original

It seems like you made the font size, apps, and everything else smaller on the 4K monitor. How did you do that? Do I have to get a 4K monitor to do that? Can i get a regular 40" TV and do that? Thanks.

It seems like you made the font size, apps, and everything else smaller on the 4K monitor. How did you do that? Do I have to get a 4K monitor to do that? Can i get a regular 40" TV and do that? Thanks.

actually I would surmise he has left the scaling at 100% which is what I do (except for the HTPC as the waifu has worse eyes than I do so thats at 150%)

actually I would surmise he has left the scaling at 100% which is what I do (except for the HTPC as the waifu has worse eyes than I do so thats at 150%)

Can you please explain how you actually do this?

Can you please explain how you actually do this?

I am not on my Win10 box right now but on there its under Customize your display and you use the slider - for Win 8 its below

Capture.JPG

I am not on my Win10 box right now but on there its under Customize your display and you use the slider - for Win 8 its below

Capture.JPG

Yes I know what you're talking about but for example, when I plug my computer into a 40inch TV for example, all it does is blow everything up. Even if the font size is the same.

Yes I know what you're talking about but for example, when I plug my computer into a 40inch TV for example, all it does is blow everything up. Even if the font size is the same.

you sure you're running at your TV's native resolution then? Without a screenshot to see its pretty hard for me to keep guessing

you sure you're running at your TV's native resolution then? Without a screenshot to see its pretty hard for me to keep guessing

Yes, I am. Sorry I didn't take any screenshots. I mean what do I have to configure inorder for it to work?

Yes, I am. Sorry I didn't take any screenshots. I mean what do I have to configure in order for it to work?

If you're running native and it still feels too large, use a custom scaling percentage lower than 100%.

Keep in mind that 1080p on a 23" screen looks different than 1080p on a 40" screen (and smaller)

Honestly at this point I am not sure what you are looking to do if you are running at native and things "feel" or "appear" larger.

If you're running native and it still feels too large, use a custom scaling percentage lower than 100%.

Keep in mind that 1080p on a 23" screen looks different than 1080p on a 40" screen (and smaller)

Honestly at this point I am not sure what you are looking to do if you are running at native and things "feel" or "appear" larger.

Yes, I need it to be less than 100%. The thing is that it doesn't go any lower than 100%. Lol.

My "battle station".  Thought it be fun to list them in order of when purchased.

Specs:

Purchased April 2005
Logitech MX3100 Keyboard/Mouse
Logitech speakers

Purchased May 2007
Lian Li A10 Case
PC Power and Cooling 750
Joey (the dog)

Purchased Oct 2009
Windows 7 Pro

Purchased Jun 2012
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Intel 3770K w/ Corsair Hydro H80
Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM
OCZ Vertez4 256GB
2TB Western Digital Black
ASUS Blu-Ray/DVD 

(below is my tri-annual upgrade...usually buy a whole new mobo/processor but the 3770K is still going strong)

Purchased Sep 2015
ASUS Strix GTX 980 Ti - (replaced 670GTX)
3x Dell U2414H 

I've had the desk for 30 something years.  It has seen every computer I've owned to include the Adam by Colecovision.

20150904_102500.jpg

20150904_102512.jpg

Yes, I need it to be less than 100%. The thing is that it doesn't go any lower than 100%. Lol.

Go to Control Panel/Display

In there is a link to set a custom scaling level

• 2 weeks later...