CEO writes $975 million check to ex-wife - she says its not enough

IF she was working to earn it, and their money went into a joint account, or she housekept for him, or helped raise children etc, then she contributed (conditionally, the value of that contribution should match his). On the other hand, if all she did was live off his money, she's a leech and deserves nothing.

What she does to "contribute" is up to them as a couple. As a result, the bar legally should be nothing more than being in the relationship. Otherwise you end up in all kinds of nonsensical areas.

What if he is a guy who wants to earn all the money and not have his wife do any work? It is a major source of pride for him and he makes the most money and they have no kids. Is she still a "leech"? Obviously, not.

If one party thinks the other party isn't worth being married to they can easily end the marriage and split all their assets earned in the marriage. If done earlier, the "damage" will be low (assuming they managed to marry a genuine mess). The longer it goes on the bigger the lesson they'll learn. Just like poking a prostitute without a condom in a back alley while drunk and out of condoms... You have to live with your choices. Life doesn't have an undo button. Best to stop whining and own up to your poor choices.

A lot of people that haven't been married, worse yet never been divorced are contributing to this thread.

Lol... So much ignorance is staggering.

Firstly and usually, when divorcing, both sides have the option of doing an even split if they both agree on it. The state steps in if they can't agree on terms.

Secondly, usually anything they had before getting married is considered privative, which means that the other party doesn't have any influence over those assets.

Thirdly, all earnings during the marriage are to be considered part of the state regardless of who earned what. That is because no 2 people earn at the same rate, and even someone mentioned that some people don't want their spouses to work. Every contribution made to the marriage counts, be it money, time, care... In reality only money is tangible, everything else isn't. And having a marriage of x years means that each part contributed the same amount of value to their union for that time.

Finally, two corrections for things that have been said here. 1, signing a pre-nup won't protect earnings made after getting married. A pre-nup is just a legal document that is recognized beforehand as the privative absolute recollection for one person, if later on those assets are to be challenged by the other party in a court of law.

2, lawyers will usually work for a percent of the award, even in small cases like mine. In my case, the split amounts to around 32k in my favor. So my lawyer is charging me with a %15, apart from what I have paid for previous and current representation.

Finally, divorce is usually a disgusting affair. Not everyone can end things in the good, and most often than not, someone will get crowned and the other will get shafted. Such is life...

Ed

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If that's what the court ordered him to pay, how can she refuse it, or how can she suddenly expect more? If she refused it, the court should say screw you then and not give her a dime! :angry:

The article said value of her award. That could be the value of stock, property, etc today which will continue to earn if she keeps it as opposed to accepting a cash buyout. Have to know details. It's also hard to say over that many years, how much she contributed to his success.

She sounds like one of those nagging wives who made his life miserable and now wants half his wealth, for what exactly ?? This whole 'wife deserves 50%' is nonsense.

Depends on the wife and her contributions to your success over the years. It depends on how you view marriage and a wife dedicating her life to you and your family while you work. Women can't start over when a marriage of that many years dissolves.

IF she was working to earn it, and their money went into a joint account, or she housekept for him, or helped raise children etc, then she contributed (conditionally, the value of that contribution should match his). On the other hand, if all she did was live off his money, she's a leech and deserves nothing.

What's the value of giving love and comfort for 28 years, maybe giving kids and raising them, your youth, etc? All that's a part of marriage, priceless.

He writes like a girl.

I was thinking the same thing. The numbers and feminine serifs are a dead giveaway. Probably had his mistress personal assistant write it.